[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>HEDT

>Single 8 pin connector

Avoid these crap boards then. 

Most of the ones I'm seeing are 8 + 4 pin.  I wouldn't even look at a single 8 pin with the power these 10c + chips are going to draw.  

That Apex is rocking a 8 + 8 and no VRM cooling issues.  That makes me happy.  :D

I wish he had a look at asrock OC-Formula. That one is really targeted to overclockers...

Just now, done12many2 said:

Most of the ones I'm seeing are 8 + 4 pin.  I wouldn't even look at a single 8 pin with the power these 10c + chips are going to draw.  

Yeah, it's not even like an extra 4 pin costs much, but I bet even the 8+4 will be maxed out by the 12 cores, I'ma bet that only the 8+8 are worth anything. It should be noted that any board on the platform however should be able to support any CPU as per Intels spec, so clearly either Intel or these board makers have made oopsies.

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That Apex is rocking a 8 + 8 and no VRM cooling issues.  That makes me happy.  :D

nice nice. VI Extreme is 8 + 4. Should be doable for the 10C. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, it's not even like an extra 4 pin costs much, but I bet even the 8+4 will be maxed out by the 12 cores, I'ma bet that only the 8+8 are worth anything. It should be noted that any board on the platform however should be able to support any CPU as per Intels spec, so clearly either Intel or these board makers have made oopsies.

Same thing happens with every platform.  My son's z170 board has a VRM that starts throttling with any 4 core at around 4.9 to 5 GHz.  It was just a cheap board so that's to be expected.

Agreed though, I'll end up with 8 + 8 as I've seen what too little can actually do.  

None of the x299 boards in Der8auer's video could really be considered anything but mid to low end for x299.  Each of the MB manufacturers named have much higher quality boards then those he tested with.  They just happened to be available to him.  We'll see how they adjust to recommendations. 

5 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

nice nice. VI Extreme is 8 + 4. Should be doable for the 10C. 

Honestly, while I do like having all of the extra cores for heavier workloads, I also like high single-threaded performance and I think we're going to see some sacrifice in that area with the HCC 12-18c parts.  I'm going to start off with the 10c and see what happens with the 18c before I jump on them.  

40 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

As long as it beats Ryzen

In the mushroom cloud dept.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Same thing happens with every platform.  My son's z170 board has a VRM that starts throttling with any 4 core at around 4.9 to 5 GHz.  It was just a cheap board so that's to be expected.

Agreed though, I'll end up with 8 + 8 as I've seen what too little can actually do.  

None of the x299 boards in Der8auer's video could really be considered anything but mid to low end for x299.  Each of the MB manufacturers named have much higher quality boards then those he tested with.  They just happened to be available to him.  We'll see how they adjust to recommendations. 

Yeah haha, I own both an ROG Maximus VIII Formual and an ASUS Z170-P, the difference is shocking, I really don't care much it costs, I will always use ROG boards. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Honestly, while I do like having all of the extra cores for heavier workloads, I also like high single-threaded performance and I think we're going to see some sacrifice in that area with the HCC 12-18c parts.  I'm going to start off with the 10c and see what happens with the 18c before I jump on them.  

10C is probably the nice one for most performance users. A better 6950X for a cheaper price is rather nice. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Glad I chose an 8+4 pin. :D

And those temperatures: nothing a 92mm spot fan can't handle. :D 

At stock anyways, 3.6 base, 4.3-4.5 boost, highest core temp for me is 41 and package temp 50. VRM max 45. But I do run in cool ambients. ?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

36 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

i'm okay with cheaper 8/8+4 boards existing as there are people that will be running 7800x/7820x's (and 7640k/7740k's). Sure it makes things more complicated and that's bad, but if I'm going to buy a 7800x I'd rather save the money and get an 8 pin board since an 8+8 wouldn't get me anywhere. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

44 minutes ago, lukart said:

I wish he had a look at asrock OC-Formula. That one is really targeted to overclockers...

Except it's 8+4 which is kinda "huh?"

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

FYI, there is a good possibility the PSU used influenced this a lot. He's using the Superflower PSU with the transparent modular connectors. That particular model uses the same 9-pin connector type for ALL connectors. So the nine pins have to support +12 V, +5 V and +3.3 V and ground connections. Thus, if the voltage drops from the PSU to the EPS12V, the VRMs have to pull more current at the lower voltage than it would if the voltage were higher thus causing them to run hotter too. It has fewer +12 V connectors on the PSU side too, so voltage drop is a guarantee.

A lot of the info above came from JonnyGuru whom I was talking with just now about this, so he alerted me to this possibility. I did let Der8aurer know via a message but not sure he'll see it anytime soon.

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

You can't blame Intel for this...this isn't the first 10 core CPU that the mobo mfg's have seen.  They were just being cheapskates.

Single 8pin has no business being on a X299 board.

Sure you can... going from an August launch to NOW FUCKING NOW release meant all development stopped and whatever design they had cobbled together was it. Had Intel not played a game of one upmanship this steaming pile of shit called x299 would have been less steaming.

15 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Sure you can... going from an August launch to NOW FUCKING NOW release meant all development stopped and whatever design they had cobbled together was it. Had Intel not played a game of one upmanship this steaming pile of shit called x299 would have been less steaming.

VRM design is the easiest thing to do on a board and they easily have done it enough times to be able to copy paste from another board on to X299.  Second, they make higher end X299 boards with better heatpiped VRM heatsinks, so this was clearly a cost-cut-corner-cut problem.  The only reason to blame Intel in this is because hey it's the hip thing to do this summer.

Third, it's the 10 core.  The 6950X has already *been* there.  This isn't a sudden "oh here's 18 cores #dealwithit".

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Don't forget that "rushed" releases happen with both companies.  A platform plagued with memory issues and unoptimized definitely qualifies as "rushed", but I guess that depends on what company you root for.  

With that said, it's a shame that the MB manufacturers are releasing these boards with poor VRM cooling.  My x99 board has way better cooling out of the box than these things do.  How did they expect that they were going to get away with less VRM cooling on a platform that will consume more power on average?

Though there's a difference if a 1300$ platform (10 core CPU + Mobo) marketed for enthusiasts and prosumers has issues with overclocking while it was one of its strongest selling points or when a brand-new, completely remade mainstream platform & architecture that's under 400$ for an 8-core CPU + mobo has issues, especially in a market that was mostly dominated by Intel for quite some time with software optimized almost exclusively for it, of which some of the issues arose.

Also, people used beefy-VRM requirement for FX-8000 series as an argument against the platform and AMD for creating such power-hungry CPUs, yet some comments here say it's a non-issue...

EDIT: That's, if what der8auer said really is an issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

7 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Also, people used beefy-VRM requirement for FX-8000 series as an argument against the platform and AMD for creating such power-hungry CPUs, yet some comments here say it's a non-issue...

Because these chips can perform better than an i5. And because these arent going in peoples rigs who dont need more than a 500B

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Why would a single 8 pin have this much of an effect vs say an 8+4 pin?

Also, holy balls that's hot. Why should I have to buy a monoblock just to use my CPU. Plus if anyone is thinking you're OCing an 18 core to 4.5GHz.. just no, you were never going to be able to do that this year.

3 hours ago, Notional said:

I honestly think this is a non issue. No one in their right mind will buy a 10 chip anyways. Just too expensive. Only youtubers getting it for free, might get these issues. And who cares about their free stuff breaking?

That being said, everything about x299 is a giant cluster frack.

Points in its favor:

-44 pcie lanes, it's the cheapest 44 pcie lane CPU from Intel

-if you're doint content creation and gaming and have a huge budget, it seems decent I guess?

For the most part though I agree with you, but I think there are a few, albeit niche, scenarios where it could be a decent idea.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

So: we have boards with the pcie and dimm slots for Skylake-X and the power delivery for KabyLake-X. 

I guess it's the result of the marvelous idea of having one 4 to 18 cores, gaming to server platform... :P

I think that's what may be happening: manufacturers don't want to overspend on the lower X299 end, with CPUs that could basically take motherboards copy-pasted from Z270. However, they cannot release separate boards, as omen requires support for the full lineup on all X299 boards. 

Hence, in order to compete, manufacturers have to release lower cost boards for lower cost "X299" builders, but they cannot cut down on the truly useless stuff for "CPU formerly known as 7700K", so they cheap out on what is left at their discretion, and "officially support" any socket 2066 CPU. If der8auer's findings are confirmed, the unofficial (or maybe "updated") support list for these boards will be considerably shorter. 

In other words: the trakeout isn't "X299 will catch fire, avoid at all costs", but rather that the "one platform, 300 CPUs" isn't really so (hence why he focuses on these boards). 

Just now, DocSwag said:

Points in its favor:

-44 pcie lanes, it's the cheapest 44 pcie lane CPU from Intel

-if you're doint content creation and gaming and have a huge budget, it seems decent I guess?

For the most part though I agree with you, but I think there are a few, albeit niche, scenarios where it could be a decent idea.

I think the biggest upside to the Intel x299 CPU's are still somewhat better IPC, but mostly the higher frequenzy. Those are never bad things.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

And because these arent going in peoples rigs who dont need more than a 500B

B? What's B? Bananas? Bartenders? Bras? Big booty bitches?

I don't know about you, but I don't need any in my system.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Interesting. Quantity vs quality.  

I see you've chosen to take the quality route.

It isn't working, but that's not really that important.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

B? What's B? Bananas? Bartenders? Bras? Big booty bitches?

I figured you would know what an EVGA 500B PSU was

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, done12many2 said:

Interesting. Quantity vs quality.  

Depends how "academic" you wish to be,  scientific journals can run upto 60 words per sentence with averages upto 30, while harry potter has just 12.

both harry potter and peer reviewed journals would be considered quality writing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

I figured you would know what an EVGA 500B PSU was

A) Nope. Don't care much about EVGA's PSUs. I recall them being made by the same OEM as Corsair's, but not aesthetically to my liking, costing and performing similarly.

B) Jokes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.