[UPDATED] Der8auer States Some X299 Low End boards Have Bad VRM Coolers

Could this be a problem with the new batches of IR3555/6's every mobo manufacturer is using for this generation? It seems really odd that every single manufacturer is seeing these problems where they haven't before, even ones like Gigabyte which have used virtually identical VRM's in the past.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

@done12many2 Don't brutally murder a bunch of X299 chips, please. I want that to be my claim to fame on the forum.

I've given consideration of everything in the X299 stack that offers 44 PCIe lanes. Don't be surprised if I get the 7980XE as a toy before the second X299 lineup debuts.

I have no intentions on murdering any of them.  :D

I've been waiting patiently for my local Micro Centers to get them in stock, but I'm growing impatient for sure.

11 minutes ago, Notional said:

Why would you even need such a chip? Get the 16 core ThreadRipper instead. At least you will have 8 channel memory and 64 PCI lanes. Oh and you can get a motherboard and probably 128GB of ram on top of that and still be cheaper than the 18 core Intel.

Wow, 8 channel memory, huh?  That's a new one.  

11 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well wasn't @done12many2 going to get the 10c+ CPU's

What do you think of this?

I kind of figured there would be some power delivery issues, but I didn't expect MB manufacturers to go that cheap on VRM cooling with a more power hungry platform than that of x99.  My Asus x99 board literally has two separate VRM heatsinks connected via a heatpipe.  Way more effective out of the box.  Of course I ripped that off an water cool it now.  :D

This is a definite fail on the MB manufacturers.

Just now, done12many2 said:

I have no intentions on murdering any of them.

I never said you intended to. I just said not to.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

40 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

yep, VRM waterblocks are about to become more than a fashion thing again, and he recommends not overclocking on any of the single 8 pin boards if you have anything more than the 6 core ones I'd imagine. I wonder what the X299 chip itself is like, it looks like X299 will be even worse than X99, PROGRESS! 

My 9590 will no longer be the only cpu to justify a vrm water block =D

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

AVX512. The Lulz. Because I want to run XP in a VM. Single Core performance.

Also, TR only has quad channel memory, and if it's just rocking PCI lanes, eeww. Besides, I'd probably rock an EPYC octocore if I need 64+ lanes but not many cores, as part of a NAS that uses NVMe heavily/eclusively.

His trainer took away his everstone.

Uhuh. Exactly how much software utilizes AVX512? Pretty sure most problems with XP is solved, but we will see when TR is released. Should have a bunch of erratas fixed.

Ah, only EPYC has 8 channel memory, my bad. But unlike Skylake X, TR has ECC support, if you need that kinda thing.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

34 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I'll bet you it doesn't :) Wasn't rushed and is Ryzen based.

This isn't being rushed. These manufactures know how to build VRM cooling and power delivery systems better than this. What I wonder is how threadripper is actually going to work. 2 1800x's are going to use upwards of 200-225w under load and thats not overclocked. Overclocked could see it running right up against the 288w 8pin limit and this is assuming it doesn't have any other increases in power consumption. It won't be as bad but it could if they decided to cheap out even further.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Exactly how much software utilizes AVX512?

Any software that utilizes AVX 2, which in the prosumer world, is quite alot.

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Ah, only EPYC has 8 channel memory, my bad. But unlike Skylake X, TR has ECC support, if you need that kinda thing.

If I need ECC, I'm getting EPYC or Xeon. Not chancing the yes-no-maybe so support on Ryzen, and likely TR.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I have no intentions on murdering any of them.  :D

I've been waiting patiently for my local Micro Centers to get them in stock, but I'm growing impatient for sure.

Should be soon! We got ours in today :D Haven't even changed the 6950X prices yet.

IMG_20170628_162818675.jpg

Uhuh. Exactly how much software utilizes AVX512?

Right now, not a lot, since until very recently it was only implemented in the compute processors. I forget which is the current one, Knight's something. However, you can bet that for applications that can make use of it, developers are already on working on it. If you have an AVX2 friendly workload, Intel has ball park double IPC over Ryzen already. My i5-6600k dumps over my R7 1700 for example. Full fat AVX-512 would significantly improve over that. I know software I'm interested in is already being worked on to support AVX-512. That it isn't available right now is not critical since AVX-512 systems aren't exactly widespread yet, but I will get one at the right time (probably more Xeon than consumer CPU though).

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

Right now, not a lot, since until very recently it was only implemented in the compute processors. I forget which is the current one, Knight's something. However, you can bet that for applications that can make use of it, developers are already on working on it. If you have an AVX2 friendly workload, Intel has ball park double IPC over Ryzen already. My i5-6600k dumps over my R7 1700 for example. Full fat AVX-512 would significantly improve over that. I know software I'm interested in is already being worked on to support AVX-512. That it isn't available right now is not critical since AVX-512 systems aren't exactly widespread yet, but I will get one at the right time (probably more Xeon than consumer CPU though).

avx512.jpg

This thing.

24 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

@Lord Nicoll it's der 8auer not 9auer :P  with the 8 being a B in leetspeak and "Bauer" meaning peasant or farmer in German :) 

oops, typo, yeah, I got the cleaver little pun in his name when I first saw it spelled, I loled a little

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

DAMN IT!!

Send me the one on the far left.  xD

If I could, I totally would. I actually told them about you and they wouldn't let me cross-store it :P

Ah well. It'll be soon. I doubt x299 is going to have as much of a heat problem as this thread seems to imply though. These boards look pretty beefy.

Aint Asus "Tuf" series with the ULTIMATE cooling be able to handle dis easily?

Groomlake Authority

Holy sh#t! I'm out! Going Ryzen if I have to!

Untitled.png.9546b5514b5caa3e91112d2c24840e0b.png

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, porina said:

A lot of people use AVX and don't even realize it as they aren't constantly paying attention to instruction sets or performance at the time they are using them.  Show them the same task on a rig that doesn't do AVX so well and they'd see it.  I for one would much rather have the option than to not have it.  

1 minute ago, Rune said:

This thing.

Yup... that thing. Thanks Intel for making it as complicated as possible, but at least for the software of interest to me, it doesn't matter much about the Knight's side, and they'll optimise for the mainstream side (both consumer and Xeon).

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

15 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Aren't VRMs rated at 120C?

The packages are rated for 125°C, however when the board and heatsinks are 100+, the packages themselves would be higher. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Holy sh#t! I'm out! Going Ryzen if I have to!

Still $50 less than newegg ;) Also, the 7900X is 'only' $1019.99

1 minute ago, porina said:

Yup... that thing. Thanks Intel for making it as complicated as possible, but at least for the software of interest to me, it doesn't matter much about the Knight's side, and they'll optimise for the mainstream side (both consumer and Xeon).

Here's to hoping!

1 minute ago, Rune said:

If I could, I totally would. I actually told them about you and they wouldn't let me cross-store it :P

Thanks for the consideration bud!

1 minute ago, Rune said:

Ah well. It'll be soon. I doubt x299 is going to have as much of a heat problem as this thread seems to imply though. These boards look pretty beefy.

No, it's never as big of a problem as a select few on LTT make them out to be.  With that said, it's still crap that the stock VRM cooler on my Asus x99 Deluxe is far more robust then the current x299 offerings.  

Thanks again man. 

1 minute ago, porina said:

I'm sure AVX512 will play a bigger role (at least in the server space, and some workstations), but I wonder if AMD has similar support in Ryzen+/Zen2 by the time it's properly implemented in a year or so in the market.

Either way, who has a work setup that requires XP VM's AND AVX512? I'm sure someone could make up a workflow that would require that, but it doesn't sound very feasible for professionals.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

>HEDT

>Single 8 pin connector

Avoid these crap boards then. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Either way, who has a work setup that requires XP VM's AND AVX512? I'm sure someone could make up a workflow that would require that, but it doesn't sound very feasible for professionals.

Me. Obviously.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.