Russian "Elbrus-8S" first showcased

lkarej

"Is the Elbrus-8S likely to dethrone Intel — or at least pose a realistic threat to the company? No. But I’m a big fan of competition, and I’d love to see the desktop silicon world become anything but a two horse race."

I think this is pretty interesting, while it's not super fast it represents a possibility of a 3rd party in the processor game (in time). Ofc this will take a lot of time to improve, as their previous processor was compared to "a cpu from 1999".

Also didn't Intel have issues with building back doors into their cpus a while back? Think that was one of the main reasons for this development as the company is Russian government owned Iirc. 

Sorry I can't add much, I'm on mobile rn. 

Source: https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/05/25/russia-showcases-first-computers-based-indigenous-elbrus-8s-processor/#.tnw_Jda3yATV

I make bad life decisions.

I'd never buy one, simply because it's a state-owned company. They say they have security for your information, but I highly doubt that. They also aren't compatible with X86, so you have to use their own OS. I'm sure it'll thrive in Russia, but outside of that I wouldn't hold your breath about it ever competing with Intel or AMD.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd never buy one, simply because it's a state-owned company. They say they have security for your information, but I highly doubt that. They also aren't compatible with X86, so you have to use their own OS. I'm sure it'll thrive in Russia, but outside of that I wouldn't hold your breath about it ever competing with Intel or AMD.

Hence the "could be interesting" bit. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not jumping to buy one, but it's still interesting none the less. 

Shame that most of the west aren't going for it, I to would like to see some more competition.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

52 minutes ago, dizmo said:

every major company is ran or controlled by the government. How? through legislation, taxes and import/export duties... If you dont do what the man says, you might find that taxes for your raw materials, or something akin to that, suddenly increases. Or that strict personel diversification policy/affirmative action is forced down your throat.

I was going to make a joke at AMDs expense, but i'll pass.

I am glad to hear there is another chip maker, but at the same time it being owned by the state means it is doomed to fail outside of russia.  

That being said i would be interested in buying one simply to toy around with, but i have a number of other projects that i haven't even started on so it wouldn't be a priority anyway.

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

every major company is ran or controlled by the government. How? through legislation, taxes and import/export duties... If you dont do what the man says, you might find that taxes for your raw materials, or something akin to that, suddenly increases. Or that strict personel diversification policy/affirmative action is forced down your throat.

There's a difference between having to abide by government regulations and literally being owned by the government. 

If Russia actually is capable of eventually making Haswell-level chips that they sell to a domestic market, along with removing Windows from the country and getting a Linux based OS nationally, with their own support / programming network to get Windows programs / executables to work on it - that'd be great.  

This processor is based on a rather simple VLIW architecture and needs very well tuned compilers and code libraries to get even half-decent performance out of it. It's poor's man Itanium, more like Transmeta (it has quasi-hardware x86 support) and is pretty much destined for a narrow application in government and academic institutions, working on classified projects.

Very similar to the chinese, with their botched Alpha EV licensed CPUs. No chance to survive on the open market.

Those pci connectors man....

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

33 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

If Russia actually is capable of eventually making Haswell-level chips that they sell to a domestic market, along with removing Windows from the country and getting a Linux based OS nationally, with their own support / programming network to get Windows programs / executables to work on it - that'd be great.  

it isn't.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Thunderpup said:

There's a difference between having to abide by government regulations and literally being owned by the government. 

The ways he listed are government regulations yes, but they can be used in a way so the government could indirectly control companies.

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

it isn't.

I'd have to agree at this point. Unless they have some revolutionary break through it's not going to happen.
Modern chipmakers have how many years of experience up on them? 30? 40? 

Well in this case it's about 30, Ruselectronics was founded in 1997, while both intel and amd were founded in 1969.
Ofc we can't directly compare because I don't know when Ruselectronics actually started on the development of the chip.

Compact Flash SSD!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

They don't even make the processor in Russia, it's made on the 28nm factory at TSMC.

They did the 90nm processors in Rusia at some factory they have, then from 65nm down they just contracted production time at TSMC.

And people already said it, these processors aren't even ARM (to just use Android or some existing Linux code base) or MIPS, they're another architecture which can emulate x86 like someone else explained above (but very slow)

I wonder if they'd have the same "feature" as my Pentium III 650 (slot 1). A unique serial number for each CPU that can only be disabled if the motherboards' BIOS allows you to (mine does) or the OEM disabled it themselves.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just the fact that they showcase it with a Corsair VS450 is pretty telling.

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

Rusia 

Where is Rusia? :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Where is Rusia? :P

In my native language, we write Russia with a single "s" - my brain probably farted and the  missing s didn't jump at me before hitting "Submit reply"

This was never made to compete or even leave Russia, this was made purely because the USA cant keep their nose out of peoples shit!

17 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

This was never made to compete or even leave Russia, this was made purely because the USA cant keep their nose out of peoples shit!

2true boy

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

inb4 "more connections to trump with russia"

surprised that hasn't happened yet tbh

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

inb4 "more connections to trump with russia"

"And upon further examination of the die-shot, we see the image of Trump and Putin 69ing each other" -CNN, probably.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

19 hours ago, dizmo said:

Right, because Intel has such a good Track record with something like that. That huge Backdoor in the Intels AMT has blown up recently (Nobody can tell me, that this wasn't an intentional Backdoor - or rather Intel engineers being that stupid) - most definitely there are even more.

Question is: Would you rather give that Data to the NSA and their partners, with the risk of it blowing up in your face, having a SWAT-Team on your doorstep because of some crappy algorithm - or Russia, who probably can't do much with that Data anyway.

Realistically it doesn't matter, because most of the Data is already "out there" and shared between companys, governments and advertising databases. So Russians already have access to that Data. As do the Chinese and North Koreans.

I welcome the competition. I hope VIA will come back also and maybe even Qualcomm getting in to X86.

Good news everyone...!

15 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

I was going to make a joke at AMDs expense, but i'll pass.

I am glad to hear there is another chip maker, but at the same time it being owned by the state means it is doomed to fail outside of russia.  

That being said i would be interested in buying one simply to toy around with, but i have a number of other projects that i haven't even started on so it wouldn't be a priority anyway.

not in the grand scheme of things. Either one has total control. The implied control is even greater, as you can hit the CEO/board with malicious taxation charges, whilst if the government is directly controlling it, they are more limited in sanctions (within the law), due to any wrongdoing being tied to government decrees.

11 hours ago, David89 said:

Right, because Intel has such a good Track record with something like that. That huge Backdoor in the Intels AMT has blown up recently (Nobody can tell me, that this wasn't an intentional Backdoor - or rather Intel engineers being that stupid) - most definitely there are even more.

Considering the NSA has no jurisdiction on Canadian soil without mass civil unrest, they're both an equal menace.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red