Coca Cola as a water cooling liquid replacement! WHAT??

Taking the liquid cooling options to the next level?

A Facebook video shown below has been going around where he replaces the usual water cooling liquid solution with Coca Cola.

Makes sense since Coca Cola is corrosive proof.

I don't know. What do you guys think? xD

stupid

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

I would imagine that would severely stain any components in that loop. Not to mention what kinds of affects the sugar and other ingredients would have on the pumps,assuming they didn't settle somewhere. And I'd imagine that if you forgot biocide, this would have growth in like 10 minutes. 

Also I know if i leave a soda in the fridge for too long, some of the syrup starts to settle at the bottom, so does that mean than if you leave your PC off overnight you could get syrup settling in the pumps/radiator? 

Overall, this just seems like a REALLY stupid idea, especially since you can probably get that same brown color with distilled water and dyes extremely easily.

Most importantly, can gpu blocks get cavities? 

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

5 minutes ago, jace888 said:

Makes sense since Coca Cola is corrosive proof

It's acidic

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

If Coke can remove rust, bleach toilets and clean concrete, I certainly wouldn't use it as part of a loop cooling thousands of dollars of equipment. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Just now, ZM Fong said:

It's acidic

yea, good point actually. Thought that since it could remove rust, it could do the same in this case.

1 minute ago, jace888 said:

yea, good point actually. Thought that since it could remove rust, it could do the same in this case.

pH 2.5 ish, gee thats some strong acid, even a very strong acid like HCl is only pH 3.

Desktop

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

After they were done with this on display they probably had to junk all the liquid cooling parts. The sugars would start to solidify and gum up the blocks and pump.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

After they were done with this on display they probably had to junk all the liquid cooling parts. The sugars would start to solidify and gum up the blocks and pump.

TBH I think they just colour matched the coolant to Coke and "claimed" it was Coke.

Desktop

LAPTOP

Just now, another random person said:

TBH I think they just colour matched the coolant to Coke and "claimed" it was Coke.

Good point. Much smarter move. Also your username threw me off when i got your notification. Make me smile when I figured it out.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Good point. Much smarter move. Also your username threw me off when i got your notification. Make me smile when I figured it out.

;) I put way too much thought into a username

Desktop

LAPTOP

20 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

Not real coke, just brown fluid. Old Maingear sponsored build. Hanoi has done this with Fanta as well.

I remember watching a video or two from JayzTwoCents. He genuinely tested how Milk, Powerwater, orange juice, and anti-freeze behaved and how effective it was in a custom waterloop. Quite the interesting video or two.

19 hours ago, another random person said:

;) I put way too much thought into a username

Your username makes sense though. That's all we are on the internet. Strangers behind usernames in other words random person(s). You found a nice way to make it funny.

I think it is a very fair assumption that they used real coke,  after all the video was posted on facebook and those morons will do anything thinking they are experts.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That Thing will gunk up in no time , there is a reason even Special watercooling Pigment Color causes issues

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

20 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

Not real coke, just brown fluid. Old Maingear sponsored build. Hanoi has done this with Fanta as well.

Haven't looked into this enough to say I've seen proof one way or the other but this makes a hell of a lot more sense.  My first question was going to be "Are you sure it's actually Coke and not just <this>"? since, for many obvious reasons including but not limited to the acidity and sugar content, using coke would be incredibly stupid.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Haven't looked into this enough to say I've seen proof one way or the other but this makes a hell of a lot more sense.  My first question was going to be "Are you sure it's actually Coke and not just <this>"? since, for many obvious reasons including but not limited to the acidity and sugar content, using coke would be incredibly stupid.

http://www.alistdaily.com/strategy/coke-rewarding-esports-fans-maingear-gaming-pc/

The PC boasts an Intel i7-6950X 10-Core CPU, dual NVIDIA GTX 1080 graphics cards, a  HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4-2666 and a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe. But the focal point of this unique rig is a real 500 milliliter Coke bottle for the centerpiece of the build.

Santos [Maingear CEO] said the bottle was modified to serve as the coolant reservoir for the water-cooling system. As an added detail, Maingear was able to color match its in house blended coolant mixture to perfectly match the color of Coca-Cola.

“With Coke’s global reach, rabid fan base and commitment to support eSports, this collaboration is a natural fit, and will bring Maingear to entirely new audiences that had no idea the level of quality and degree of customization that is within reach to them,” Santos said.

Just now, Nimrodor said:

So it's a real coke bottle with normal liquid made to look like coke.  Not at all surprising

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

48 minutes ago, reniat said:

I would imagine that would severely stain any components in that loop. Not to mention what kinds of affects the sugar and other ingredients would have on the pumps,assuming they didn't settle somewhere.

I would be more worried about the high levels of phosphoric acid. It could slowly eat through different components in the loop.

23 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

I would be more worried about the high levels of phosphoric acid. It could slowly eat through different components in the loop.

It's colored water in a coke bottle. Coke would eat through that metal in less than a day. Leave a nail. Like one you would hammer into a board in a glass of Coke for a few days and see what is left of it. Almost any metal besides aluminum it had consistent contact with would be destroyed. The thinner the faster (and only certain types of chemically altered aluminum). Add to that, how much pressure would that build up? Even "Flat" soda still has far more nitrogen bubbles in it than water (yes, I know pure water does not have nitrogen in it), it is just imperceptable to people. Cool design, but that's all it is.

Like the drunk at school who puts brown food coloring in a water bottle that is really filled with vodka. Just bc it looks like coke does not make it coke.

"Hey, after you spray your engine down with Coke to clean it, can I use whatever is left to cool my cpu? Thanks."

Guy at the gas station. "Sorry mam, we are out of antifreeze and bottled water, but we have some 2 liters of Coke. That'll keep your car from overheating ;^) ." Good Fun!

Edited by crzyces
EDIT There is also an Epoxy Shield sprayed on the inside of canned beverages, almost 3x the amount on Cola than other liquids. The epoxy is also blended into plastics to stop corrosion.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

Wouldn't even drink that shit, never mind use it in my system!!! :D

good look bleeding that system when the fluid is literally making more gas.  

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

that loop would die pretty quick if thats actiual coke, that shit is going to destroy everything in there, the tubes, the rubber in the fittings, the pump and also clog the blocks if its ever turned off for a bit or it gets hot and cooled down again

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So it's a real coke bottle with normal liquid made to look like coke.  Not at all surprising

At least its a cool concept! MKBHD like concept if I would say....