GTX 970 Settlement Checks Have Started Arriving

SteveGrabowski0

http://www.bursor.com/2017/04/payments-sent-to-nvidia-gtx-970-class-members/

Payments Sent to NVIDIA GTX 970 Class Members

On April 11, 2017, the first round of payments were sent to class members as part of the $4.5 million settlement in In re NVIDIA GTX 970 Graphics Chip Litigation.  The settlement was approved by Judge Phyllis J. Hamilton of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on December 7, 2016 and provides for cash payments of $30 for each NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 graphics chip purchased by class members.

“We’re thrilled that the settlement proceeds are being distributed,” said L. Timothy Fisher, one of the firm’s partners handling the matter. “This is a terrific result that will put real money into the pockets of GTX 970 purchasers.”

I bought my 970 used for $150. Wonder if I could get this check with the serial number on my EVGA card.

:Thinking:

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I bought my 970 used for $150. Wonder if I could get this check with the serial number on my EVGA card.

You had to submit your claim by last November. Anyways, you wouldn't have been able to get the refund. Only the original buyer with original receipt.

You needed to be apart of the group who sued.

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

1 minute ago, yathis said:

You needed to be apart of the group who sued.

Lol no you don't. You just have to have claimed it earlier.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

3 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

claimed it earlier.

claimed it?

There is a process.......always a process obviously..................so that "claim" as you mentioned...................................................................... puts you in with the class action group, BEFORE it goes to court!

So maybe what you are saying is you can join the class action group after the settlement?

Seems illogical. Doubt that is the case.

Being from the UK I'm not affected apparently 

I don't want a legal lecture on how this only applies to the US because that's where the lawsuit is 

6 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You had to submit your claim by last November. Anyways, you wouldn't have been able to get the refund. Only the original buyer with original receipt.

Bummer, I bought the card in August. Shoulda looked for that! The buyer gave me the receipt but lacked the packaging, probably could have done it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Always remember that the real heroes are the media outlets who extensively covered the issue when it first came to light.

4.5 million and only $30 goes to each card that actually had a claim put in for it? I find it really hard to believe 150k cards/people made a claim. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 hour ago, yathis said:

claimed it?

There is a process.......always a process obviously..................so that "claim" as you mentioned...................................................................... puts you in with the class action group, BEFORE it goes to court!

So maybe what you are saying is you can join the class action group after the settlement?

I submitted my claim before the final court hearing in December or something but there were other rounds before that.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

10 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

4.5 million and only $30 goes to each card that actually had a claim put in for it? I find it really hard to believe 150k cards/people made a claim. 

Lol, you think all the money goes to claimants? The lawyers probably got more than half of that 4.5 mil.

I used to be quite active here.

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I can't believe AMD hasn't sued Nvidia over this. I would have 100% bought an R9 290x back in 2014 had we known the accurate specs of the 970. I can't be alone on this.

I don't really think they would have had any grounds to sue them on though. 3.5gb memes aside, the GTX 970 was still reviewed and benched by third party reviewers, and for the most part, performed as it was expected to. In the most technical sense, saying it had 4gb of VRAM, wasn't false advertising since it did have 4gb of ram. The problem I have with it, is the fact that they failed to disclose how that VRAM was used. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 hours ago, yathis said:

claimed it?

In this case, as with most class actions, they sued representing anyone who bought a GTX 970. A deal was made regarding who was allowed to claim a part of the settlement and what time frame they have to submit their claim, then it was announced to the public and those with proof of purchase were allowed to submit to receive a portion of the settlement. The rest of the money goes to lawyers (most) and any other designated parties.

Here is an old article I found that should help you. For your part, you are correct that there was a final hearing after a settlement was agreed upon.

http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-how-to-claim-your-30-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-settlement/

I remember submitting a claim for this, but I can't find any emails on this in my inbox. Did anyone get any confirmation emails with their claim? Not sure how I am going to get mine.

53 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I don't really think they would have had any grounds to sue them on though. 3.5gb memes aside, the GTX 970 was still reviewed and benched by third party reviewers, and for the most part, performed as it was expected to. In the most technical sense, saying it had 4gb of VRAM, wasn't false advertising since it did have 4gb of ram. The problem I have with it, is the fact that they failed to disclose how that VRAM was used. 

Saying it had 64 ROPs was false advertising though. Those 8 ROPs were completely disabled.

9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Saying it had 64 ROPs was false advertising though. Those 8 ROPs were completely disabled.

Yeah, but you and I both know they will use legal mumbo jumbo to get around that. "Well, it technically has 64 rops, but 8 of them can't be used". We are talking about a company known for getting away with extreme deceit on a yearly basis. Need I remind everyone of those fun little graphs that accompany every GPU architecture release? "2x the performance of last gen! in VR"

40 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Yeah, but you and I both know they will use legal mumbo jumbo to get around that. "Well, it technically has 64 rops, but 8 of them can't be used". We are talking about a company known for getting away with extreme deceit on a yearly basis. Need I remind everyone of those fun little graphs that accompany every GPU architecture release? "2x the performance of last gen! in VR"

You'd be hard pressed to find a tech company that doesn't use similar style of graphs. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

You'd be hard pressed to find a tech company that doesn't use similar style of graphs. 

I know. I've ranted about it before, and I know every company cherry-picks their data. Just wish it didn't have to be this way. At the very least, avoid the small text, using difficult to read colors. 

ah fuck I forgot to submit my claim

ah well 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, tonyeezy said:

I remember submitting a claim for this, but I can't find any emails on this in my inbox. Did anyone get any confirmation emails with their claim? Not sure how I am going to get mine.

Same here. I filed a claim through a website I can't remember the name of now, but I've yet to receive anything confirming a check is coming my way.

I also got an email from newegg about them sending me more info on how to file a claim. They never followed up though.

53 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I know. I've ranted about it before, and I know every company cherry-picks their data. Just wish it didn't have to be this way. At the very least, avoid the small text, using difficult to read colors. 

Or Scaling the graph in such a way that an actual 10% improvement appears to be double on a visual glance. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…