Microsoft throws more ads into Windows 10

goodtofufriday
3 hours ago, Vode said:

I don't think it applies to stuff you don't actually pay for.

It does. Google got in trouble for ranking Google maps results higher in search terms before. 

Might just go back to Windows 7 at this rate and only play games that run DX11 or Vulkan

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

16 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

It seems like every news story I hear about MS makes me gladder and gladder that I didn't "upgrade" to W10.

I think I will just dual boot Linux as my I will need windows for games and what not.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

16 hours ago, BaronVonJace said:

You can with WINE, many google searches and a migraine.

Because what I want to have is a migraine, when I could just install them without a migraine on Windows.

If all I did was program and browse the web, I'd switch to Linux (probably not Ubuntu though - that systemctl wrapper in 16.04 is rather annoying).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Isnt this opt-in? Why are people complaining for a opt-in program?

18 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Welp. As an IT admin, Im probably just going to go and get some enterprise licenses now. I cant be bothered to have all these nuances that only occur in win10 because the "pro" version has stripped out GPO options.

Other than that, screw this.

If you're an IT admin, you were supposed to be using it all along. You're currently in copyright infringement.

17 hours ago, Railgun said:

They would rather spend more money tricking people into using a crappy piece of software than spend that money making the piece of software not crappy

Edge is better then Chrome IMO.

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Only an anti-trust lawsuit can save us.

Windows 10 will just keep getting worse and worse until that happens. I think it is really sad that Microsoft wants to charge money for this OS, when it has so many ads and data harvesting things built into it.

Google bakes ads in Gmail now, I dont see anybody throwing a fit over it.

h3pL7mS.png

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Only an anti-trust lawsuit can save us.

Windows 10 will just keep getting worse and worse until that happens. I think it is really sad that Microsoft wants to charge money for this OS, when it has so many ads and data harvesting things built into it.

To be fair, Google does the same bullshit when you log into google.com with a different browser.

30 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

If you're an IT admin, you were supposed to be using it all along. You're currently in copyright infringement.

h3pL7mS.png

To be fair, Google does the same bullshit when you log into google.com with a different browser.

Google doesn't make me pay 120$ to use Gmail and then serves ads to me to make more money out of me 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

@RagnarokDel

"Edge is better than Chrome IMO"

The way you said that was as if you were trying to throw down the opinion of me (and everyone else) just because we are complaining about it. Good for you if you are the only one who likes Edge.

"If you're an IT admin, you were supposed to be using it all along. You're currently in copyright infringement."

That's BS

"Google bakes ads in Gmail now, I dont see anybody throwing a fit over it."

And for those who don't use adblock, they didn't exactly pay over $100 for Google, now did they? Also, Google ads are far less annoying than Windows ads are.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

How come i never seen any ads from Windows 10 notification bar or even any highlights on my hotmail address for that matter.

Groomlake Authority

8 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

Lol. Okay. 

Not every business needs enterprise licences. Or is required for that matter.

If you knew what you were talking about then millions of business would be in trouble right now. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

12 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

This does not seem like an opt-in thing. What makes you think that it is? Wild speculation on your part?

No, that's not how the licensing works.

The enterprise edition is not "this is the only version you are legally allowed to use for anything enterprise related". It is "this is the version we have made which we think will suit enterprise customers the best".

You are allowed to use other versions of Windows for enterprise related things if you want.

Well, your opinion is objectively wrong in a lot of metrics.

I am noy paying 100 dollars to use Gmail, and gmail ads are not baked into the OS I use to the point where it displays ads on my desktop/home-screen,

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Nobody complains that there are ads on bing.com, but if you put the same ads inside Office then people would be mad.

Google is giving you a really good product for free, and you pay by seeing the occasional ad (unless you block them like I do).

Microsoft is expecting you to pay 100 dollars for the OS, and then shove the OS full of ads that are even more intrusive than the Gmail ads.

If you can't see the difference between the two then you are beyond help.

Again, apples and oranges.

Free product with a non-intrusive ad vs a paid product with an intrusive ad.

There is an inherent trust and expectation from OS notifications. They are meant to inform users about actual events such as a virus being detected, a task you started has finished and things like that. Injecting ads between the useful information is quite malicious. Websites on the other hand are expected to have ads on them these days, and people therefore don't have this trust.

If you want an analogy, OS level notifications are like people dressed up as police officers. You expect them to only stop you for serious things. If a cop pulls you over and asks if you have tested the latest burger at Mc Donald's then you'd be pretty pissed. If a 16 year old dressed as Ronald McDonald handed you a flier about the latest burger then you would not be as mad.

I have no issues because I've been using Edge since Windows 10 launched. What is the big deal here? Nobody is telling Google to stop their GET GOOGLE CHROME ads when using something else than Chrome, which is seriously pissing me off. Almost every Google Ad on YouTube is a Chrome ad.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

This does not seem like an opt-in thing. What makes you think that it is? Wild speculation on your part?

Again, apples and oranges.

Free product with a non-intrusive ad vs a paid product with an intrusive ad.

1. The fact that I never saw an ad on Windows 10 and I've been using it since launch

2. Windows 10 was also free for over a year, so yeah. (It should still be free imo)

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Well, your opinion is objectively wrong in a lot of metrics.

You cant watch netflix at the highest bitrate on chrome and Chrome takes more system memory. Edge also takes less battery then Chrome on laptops, not that that matters on desktop.

This one is a QoL thing but Chrome is annoying AF with the 20 processes even with only one tab open.

41 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

and Chrome takes more system memory.

Does it still? Since a Chrome update 2 - 5 months ago, Chrome has been using drastically less RAM on my system than ever before.

This used to use more like 60 - 70% of my 16 GB of RAM:

Chrome.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, RagnarokDel said:

1. The fact that I never saw an ad on Windows 10 and I've been using it since launch

You've never seen an ad in Windows 10? A lot of the ad stuff seem to have been disabled when you did an upgrade (not all of it though) so that might explain why you haven't seen it. But let me tell you, a clean install of Windows 10 is full of ads. 

2. Windows 10 was also free for over a year, so yeah. (It should still be free imo)

It wasn't free. It was a free upgrade. Big difference. And it being a free upgrade for a limited time is not an excuse to shove it full of ads forever. 

You cant watch netflix at the highest bitrate on chrome and Chrome takes more system memory. Edge also takes less battery then Chrome on laptops, not that that matters on desktop.

This one is a QoL thing but Chrome is annoying AF with the 20 processes even with only one tab open.

Yes and I can list lots of things Chrome does better than Edge.

So your reason for saying Edge is better than Chrome are:

*Netflix works at higher bitrate. Fair point. The sad thing is that Chrome does support everything needed for the higher bitrate video. It's just that Netflix is blocking it from working in chrome on Windows. 

*Lower memory use. Not sure if this is true so I'll look into it. 

*Uses less battery. This has not been proven by a reliable source yet. Judging by Luke's efforts we might never know which one uses the least power either. But like you said, fairly irrelevant on a desktop. 

So less memory and Netflix works at higher bitrate. Fairly weak arguments for declaring that Edge is better than Chrome so that you think? 

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You've never seen an ad in Windows 10? A lot of the ad stuff seem to have been disabled when you did an upgrade (not all of it though) so that might explain why you haven't seen it. But let me tell you, a clean install of Windows 10 is full of ads. 

I did a clean install immediately after upgrading as the installation broke

53 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

So less memory and Netflix works at higher bitrate. Fairly weak arguments for declaring that Edge is better than Chrome so that you think? 

considering I watch netflix at 4k whenever possible and that I dont have a cable subscription, it seems fairly relevant. Now that Edge has extensions and extra features (like scribbling or whatever they name it), I like it better. Chrome also has for the longest time been buggy with youtube. (It's not a windows 10 issue, I had it on windows 7 and across multiple GPUs)

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I bought a Windows 10 laptop earlier this year, and apart from one add for Office 365 when I first booted it up noticed no adverts. Maybe MS are only doing this in certain countries?

27 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

I bought a Windows 10 laptop earlier this year, and apart from one add for Office 365 when I first booted it up noticed no adverts. Maybe MS are only doing this in certain countries?

Or maybe the manufacturers disabled all the stuff in the Windows install? I never really saw any either, but admittedly I always choose custom installation and disabled all the dodgy stuff right off the bat. But it's not like this is very difficult...

11 hours ago, MSWindowsinside said:

What is the big deal here? Nobody is telling Google to stop their GET GOOGLE CHROME ads when using something else than Chrome, which is seriously pissing me off.

See the post above yours.  You don't pay to use Google, you do pay to use Windows though.

5 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Weird

Pre-built computer?

Here are some of the different places Windows 10 has ads in it that I can think of, and they are on by default:

• The lockscreen will show pictures from things like games, and then have a link to where you can buy them (and I do believe it will put buttons over regular images as well, which takes you to the store).
  • The start menu will sometimes show a "suggested app" in it. It will be placed alongside your regular programs, but when you press on the icon the ad will download and install itself.
  • The OS contains quite a few of "get office" and "get Skype"-like apps. Not only that, but they get reappear every time a major OS update gets installed. I have had to uninstall "Get Office" like 3 times on this computer alone.
  • The Xbox and Store live tile will from time to time show "suggested programs and games".
  • If you use Windows Ink Workspace, it will sometimes display a suggested app. (This is only if you have a stylus).
  • Now we got these news about Edge ads appearing.
  • Their new Solitaire game contains ads.

I might have missed some, but that's a pretty long list for a piece of software that you expect people to pay 100 dollars to use.

I could understand it if Windows 10 was free with ads, and had an option to pay 120 dollars or whatever to get rid of all ads, but that is not what is happening.

On 11/4/2016 at 3:10 PM, IAEInferno said:

Anyone here actually using Windows 10?

Yes, I am currently using Windows 10.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

14 hours ago, MSWindowsinside said:

I have no issues because I've been using Edge since Windows 10 launched. What is the big deal here? Nobody is telling Google to stop their GET GOOGLE CHROME ads when using something else than Chrome, which is seriously pissing me off. Almost every Google Ad on YouTube is a Chrome ad.

Chrome is free. Windows 10 is not.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

im using w10 since insider build uuuhhhhhh 14xx? about a year before launch 

never had any problems (besides on launch because the build on day 1 was awful) 

0 ads sofar ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , on both my home and pro licence 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

im using w10 since insider build uuuhhhhhh 14xx? about a year before launch 

never had any problems (besides on launch because the build on day 1 was awful) 

0 ads sofar ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , on both my home and pro licence 

I got ads for Microsoft Office until I removed it. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I got ads for Microsoft Office until I removed it. 

oh yea i had the "try office" thing , but that never gave me a popup and i could just go [right-click->uninstall] and it was gone 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list