YouTube Red is struggling to get subscribers.

goodtofufriday

would help if youtube actually knew that the world consists of more than Australia, Mexico, New Zealand and United States. And launched the system for more people, then maybe, just maybe.. they don't have to "complain" that they have few customers.

Main rig:
Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme3 | CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.3Ghz with Noctua NH-D14 | RAM: HyperX Fury DD4 2133MHz 16GB (4x4GB) | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition | PSU: Corsair AX760i | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (White) | Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Toshiba 3TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Displays: BenQ XL2410T (120Hz) + 1xBenQ G2420HD (60Hz) | Keyboard: CM Storm Rapid I (Brown switches) | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 363D

29 minutes ago, Poofu said:

maybe that has something to do with the ridiculous $10 a month 

33 cents a day for no ads and google music. also part of that revenue goes to support your favorite channels so they can make better content. seems like a bargain to me

Let me see, should I basically donate money (cause the premium content is bullshit) to a platform that is actively hostile to many of my favorite youtubers and has even outright fucking deleted an awesome channel (TylerPreston20) because they not only allowing but encourage mass flagging?

Let me think....Oh that's the answer I was looking for! FUCK NO.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hadn't looked at it before since I can't get it in UK, but it looks like something I would have if they offered it. I'm already on Google's music sub, which if I was in US would include YouTube Red. Bring it on!

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The biggest mistake of Youtube red: 

It is missing in most countries.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Litargirio said:

I wonder why websites in general do actually not do this...

I mean, smaller websites would probably lose people because they'd go elsewhere, but the bigger ones would benefit hugely from this.

https://thestack.com/world/2016/04/21/sites-that-block-adblockers-seem-to-be-suffering/

This article seems to suggest that the sites that block users with AdBlock are suffering a major decline in traffic. There are problems with looking at it this way, but that conclusion does make sense. However, I would argue that even if raw traffic numbers are lower due to the loss of AdBlocking users, those users weren't making them any money to begin with. They might be restricting their user base and generating poorer public relations, though, which might be damaging in the long run.

I definitely don't think they're benefiting, though. I can't imagine a lot of people disabling their AdBlock just to read a Forbes article that another news outlet probably also reported on.

9 minutes ago, typographie said:

I definitely don't think they're benefiting, though. I can't imagine a lot of people disabling their AdBlock just to read a Forbes article that another news outlet probably also reported on.

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Google, Amazon, Ebay, Yahoo. Those are the ones that need to get the ball rolling.

Is anyone going to stop using any of those? Unlikely, since you can't replace them. So people would disable AdBlock.

Once the big guys do it, everyone else would follow suit. And it has to be them, because any other website is expendable, and will get expended if they try anything.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

9 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Google, Amazon, Ebay, Yahoo. Those are the ones that need to get the ball rolling.

Is anyone going to stop using any of those? No, people would rather disable AdBlock. Mainly because you can't replace them.

Once the big guys do it, everyone else would follow suit. And it has to be them, because any other website is expendable, and will get expended if they try anything.

You may be right, but I think that's far too great a risk for those companies. AdBlock users still contribute content to Facebook/Twitter/Youtube that draws in other users, and Amazon and Ebay are probably more interested in your purchasing habits than whether or not you load their ads. If even a small minority of users stopped visiting those sites (or even visited them less often), that might be a bigger loss than the ads were worth.

Ah Google... even the projects they have that are eagerly anticipated like Google Fiber fail. Then there's stuff people don't want like this Youtube Red... All the evangelists want it, too bad the majority of users are not tech evangelists. I had a friend that used to evangelize all manner of Google stuff... Google Wave, Google Plus... The list is quite long but I can't recall those completely irrelevant google projects now. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

12 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Ah Google... even the projects they have that are eagerly anticipated like Google Fiber fail. Then there's stuff people don't want like this Youtube Red... All the evangelists want it, too bad the majority of users are not tech evangelists. I had a friend that used to evangelize all manner of Google stuff... Google Wave, Google Plus... The list is quite long but I can't recall those completely irrelevant google projects now. 

Oh man google wave. Myself and the friends i invited to ot loved it. Wish more of its features were incorporated into gmail. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Not surprised.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Let me see, should I basically donate money (cause the premium content is bullshit) to a platform that is actively hostile to many of my favorite youtubers and has even outright fucking deleted an awesome channel (TylerPreston20) because they not only allowing but encourage mass flagging?

Let me think....Oh that's the answer I was looking for! FUCK NO.

yea i kinda agree with that sentiment but then again, i would do it for the content creators not for youtube themselves. youtube is cutting costs everywhere, its not surprising that it has shitty problems like mass flagging when you factor in the amount of content thats uploaded to it every hour. there is no fucking way they could ever afford to hire a team that checks every upload that gets flagged and give good accuracy etc. basically giving youtube a customer service is a terrible idea, but i agree that the current system is broken too. i mean maybe if twitch VoD becomes less shittier and has more high edited content on it i'll switch to that.

There are a couple of positives for Youtube Red for me, but i'm a bit of an out there case when it comes to this. I use regular youtube to stream all my music whenever I am out of the house because Google Play, Spotify, Pandora and all those other streaming services don't have the songs I want because I listen to a lot of stuff from stupid sources that they just don't have. The no ads on mobile devices is a bonus for me. I don't have to bother hunting new music because all the music I normally listen to from my PC through youtube are already in preset playlists which is super helpful

This is only really possible because my mobile plan has an unlimited data cap though. If it wasn't for the face I had unlimited data I wouldn't pay for the service because I don't care at all about the Youtube Red content. I just wanna use it for streaming on mobile devices without ads and while doing other things on my tablet as well which is mainly reading.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

yea i kinda agree with that sentiment but then again, i would do it for the content creators not for youtube themselves. youtube is cutting costs everywhere, its not surprising that it has shitty problems like mass flagging when you factor in the amount of content thats uploaded to it every hour. there is no fucking way they could ever afford to hire a team that checks every upload that gets flagged and give good accuracy etc. basically giving youtube a customer service is a terrible idea, but i agree that the current system is broken too. i mean maybe if twitch VoD becomes less shittier and has more high edited content on it i'll switch to that.

Then better doing it through patreon 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'd rather pay for 10 floatplane equiv stuff than give youtube any money at all (I did stay subbed for vessel btw). And do donate to my fav youtubers.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Maybe if I could actually get it. I mean get some actual series on the platform and not some bullshit show from pewdiepie and people will be interested.

Here's a tip to Youtube, Pewdiepie's average audience is under 18, most of them dont have money to spend on youtube red.

If YouTube Red was available in Canada, I would have long since subscribed. Not only is it pretty good value, considering you also get a Google Music subscription included in the same price, but your view is worth significantly more to the Channel. It's a great way to support your favourite channels better, while also getting ad-free content.

I couldn't care less about the Red Exclusive content though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I think the fact most people will support Youtube RED as it only like 10 dollars month, it like less than 50 cent a day .. if you have income and watches a lot of youtube and use music. This is great option. 

Magical Pineapples

I will totally subscribe YouTube Red for Google Music but they don't want my money . 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

"YT red is not getting subs"

what a surprise , the youtube that costs money and wich exclusive content is just meh shows wich don´t interest many cant take off 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

youtube red just offers next to nothing. unless you use youtube music or want to watch a youtube red series (all 5 of them...) then youre paying 10 bucks a month forrrrrrrrr not having to click "skip" 5 seconds into an ad? ya im cool thanks tho.

5 hours ago, tlink said:

yea i kinda agree with that sentiment but then again, i would do it for the content creators not for youtube themselves. 

The problem is, nowadays we have many many ways to get our money to people we support. So even from that perspective, or especially from that perspective. there aren't many incentives to go with the middle man. It's like Spotify (don't know how the quantities compare, though): the idea that, by subscribing, you are "buying the music instead of free-riding" sounds like a bad joke when you look at the money's breakdown. I can't say I'd feel I support my favorite artists better if I subscribed. Buying their albums directly from their websites, or even crowd-funding the recording, on the other hand...

Still, I think ~1.5 million is not little given that, as they said above, it amounts to paying for what you can get free minus the ads. On the other hand, other services with a similar proposal achieve a larger costumer base... world-wide, at least.

25 minutes ago, lettuce head said:

youtube red just offers next to nothing. unless you use youtube music or want to watch a youtube red series (all 5 of them...) then youre paying 10 bucks a month forrrrrrrrr not having to click "skip" 5 seconds into an ad? ya im cool thanks tho.

Just so you know, clicking "Skip" 5 seconds into an ad does not count as an ad-impression. You might as well just use Ad Block if that's what you personally do.

YouTube only counts an ad-impression if you watch a minimum of 30 seconds of an ad, or the entire length of the ad - whichever is shorter. So an ad that is 45 seconds long, you have to wait until the 30 second mark before clicking "Skip" for that ad to count. But for a 15 second ad, you have to watch the entire thing for it to count.

This is something that YouTube obfuscates, and is very difficult to find on their site unless you go hunting for it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)