Nintendo to finally shed more details about the NX early tomorrow (Update: this is the Nintendo Switch)

AlexGoesHigh

The Nintendo Switch Console

CvN3VKEVUAIlnwU.jpg

More press imagery, cheers @Pyrii for all the pictures

Spoiler

oMzcsNM.jpg

Nintendo has finally revealed its long teased NX console. The system called the 'Nintendo Switch' looks to be a portable machine that has a docking station allowing it to be used like a traditional console when at home but a tablet with detachable controllers when on the move.

Previous rumors have pegged the system as being powered by an Nvidia chip (Of the X1 or K1 ilk). [UPDATE: Confirmed by Nvidia as a 'custom Tegra chip']

These rumors may have some merit as designs for the system that leaked around the same time depict the system in 2 of three of its 'forms'.

file.jpg

I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see that the rumors are true, having a third real competitor in the console space can only be good for the industry. The collaborative aspect of the mobile tablet will likely be the factor that Nintendo is relying on. Of course being a mobile device AAA titles that we see on the PS4/XBone probably won't make an appearance but that has never been Nintendo's forte. We will most likely see a wave of first party games and remasters (Skyrim was shown extensively in the trailer) at first.

The tablet itself has two controllers, one on either side that can be detached to function as two separate controllers or one controller split over two hands.

Specs (Developing)

• Custom Nvidia Tegra SoC
  • Standalone tablet mode
  • Split screen capable games in docked and tablet mode
  • Docking capability - Possibly expansion for I/O and performance?
  • Modular design - Detachable 'Joy-con controllers'
    • Can function as second console controller with the 'Joy-con grip'
  • Compatible with a traditional console style controller - Switch Pro controller
  • ~6 inch screen
  • Kickstand
  • Car mount
  • Cartridge based games - List of developers supporting the system
    • Skyrim
    • Zelda BoW
    • Just Dance game
    • Unannounced Mario
    • Enhanced Mario Kart 8
    • Splatoon
    • Unannounced NBA 2K Title

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

I already posted this in another topic, but okay. So yeah, interesting hardware, it feels like Nintendo wants to get back to the casual market again, but how practical and powerful will the hardware be because that's a pretty small piece of kit.

I think it looks really nice, a good 1 system for everything.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

hype 

framerate looked low, hope that's just crap video editing. I really see no use of this unless it's some kind of step up from the wii u 

edit

frame rate looked fine till he disconnected it from the dock. Now that's worrying. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm really curious on the price point. 

And if the dock adds any sort of processing power. If it doesn't, then its just a Nvidia Shield of sorts.

If the dock adds decent power, then maybe it could actually be interesting. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

This is quite interesting, with the size of the dock, there is no doubt that there is extra hardware in it, so power wise, when docked, could be close, or surpass, Xbone. 

This is a best of both worlds thing. You can play on the go with friends, you can switch the games to a big screen when home. You do have a bigger, more comfortable controller that you can use both at home, and take with you if you want. You've always got at least 2 controllers with you for simple party games. Looks like it's a good screen. 
Also, new proper 3D Mario! Waited so many years of this. BotW continues to look amazing, Skyrim remaster? Also looks like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon Remaster. And cartridges! 
The rumours have actually been surprisingly accurate. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I think it looks really nice, a good 1 system for everything.

It will either be mostly mobile or fail at both cause it's subpar on both. 

I think the focus will be on mobile the home docking it's a neat but ultimately useless gimmick

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ok, they've got my attention. Might have to get one of these... 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

That is one creative console.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

One thing to notice is the lack of drive for disc-based media and in one shot there's a guy popping in a cartridge at the top, so it looks like the rumor of going back to carts is true. Of course it makes sense for a very mobile platform.

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It will either be mostly mobile or fail at both cause it's subpar on both. 

I think the focus will be on mobile the home docking it's a neat but ultimately useless gimmick

maybe not, this could be marketing trick but the games shown in the trailer while docked didn't look like shit, they shown skyrim remastered on a tv, if the graphics are decent in docked mode it can be great in both modes.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

13 hours ago, gtx1060=value said:

full disclosure - nintendo shareholder

from what nintendo told the shareholders, it'll run a nvidia tegra chip i think its gen 3, and will outperfrom the new xbox one s and ps4 pro. it's only 299 too with a bundle of 4 games, don't blame me if you end up losing money, but i think buying some shares of nintendo (ntdoy) tomorrow at opening and then dumping them around closing, you'll make some good money. The last time mario run got announced, nintendo jumped 30 percent in share price. 

There is no way in hell a Tegra is faster than Polaris 10.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

WOW... wait.. it plays WiiU games as well? (Notice on the video Mario Kart 8 playing, and Splatoon)

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

WOW... wait.. it plays WiiU games as well? (Notice on the video Mario Kart 8 playing)

maybe they just ported the game over.

1 minute ago, Pyrii said:

One thing to notice is the lack of drive for disc-based media and in one shot there's a guy popping in a cartridge at the top, so it looks like the rumor of going back to carts is true. Of course it makes sense for a very mobile platform.

Another reason why we won't likely see AAA games. The blu-ray discs on Ps4/XBone have up to 50GB capacities whereas I can't see Nintendo exceeding 32GB for cost reasons per cart. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Watched the trailer with my mother an an interesting scenario that wasn't in the video popped up. Taking it off the dock to go to the toilet. Now you don't need a phone/tablet/3DS to continue gaming while on the porcelain throne.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

WOW... wait.. it plays WiiU games as well? (Notice on the video Mario Kart 8 playing, and Splatoon)

I doesn't seem to have a disc drive so it might be coming from Nintendo's online store.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

so this is basically a shield tablet with a dock thing? cool, i want this if games were affordable lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

This is quite interesting, with the size of the dock, there is no doubt that there is extra hardware in it, so power wise, when docked, could be close, or surpass, Xbone. 

This is a best of both worlds thing. You can play on the go with friends, you can switch the games to a big screen when home. You do have a bigger, more comfortable controller that you can use both at home, and take with you if you want. You've always got at least 2 controllers with you for simple party games. Looks like it's a good screen. 
Also, new proper 3D Mario! Waited so many years of this. BotW continues to look amazing, Skyrim remaster? Also looks like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon Remaster. And cartridges! 
The rumours have actually been surprisingly accurate. 

I think it's unlikely to be honest. From an engineering standpoint e-GPUs aren't very easy to implement and come with a ton of problems. You'll probably get a boost due to power limits and skin temp limits being increased but I'd be surprised to see anything more than a 20% boost while docked.

Well it better come with something to put in the dock for dust protection when the devices are separated.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.