Nintendo to finally shed more details about the NX early tomorrow (Update: this is the Nintendo Switch)

AlexGoesHigh

Nvidia put out a press release about the custom Tegra in the switch and how it powers the audio/visual. With a custom API called NVN. So it looks like Backwards-Compatibility is completely out the window.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

Plus here's a copy of the Press Release I found

Spoiler

REDMOND, Wash., Oct. 20, 2016 – In an introductory video released today (http://www.nintendo.com/switch), Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:
505 Games
Activision Publishing, Inc.
ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
ATLUS CO., LTD.
Audiokinetic Inc.
Autodesk, Inc.
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
Bethesda
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
Codemasters®
CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
DeNA Co., Ltd.
Electronic Arts
Epic Games Inc.
Firelight Technologies
FromSoftware, Inc.
Frozenbyte
GameTrust
GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
HAMSTER Corporation
Havok
INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
LEVEL-5 Inc.
Marvelous Inc.
Maximum Games, LLC
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
Parity Bit Inc.
PlatinumGames Inc.
RAD Game Tools, Inc.
RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
Silicon Studio Corporation
Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
Starbreeze Studios
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Telltale Games
THQ Nordic
Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
TT Games
UBISOFT
Ubitus Inc.
Unity Technologies, Inc.
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Web Technology Corp

Today’s video incorporated short glimpses of representative gameplay to demonstrate the liberating nature of the Nintendo Switch home gaming system. Full game demonstrations, the list of launch window titles, as well as launch date, price, product configuration and related specifics, will be shown and announced prior to the March launch.

34 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Seems better than Sony's cheap solution called the PSTV.

The PSTV was basically Sony trying to bring the Vita to the big(ger) screen, and I'd have found it funny if it actually worked out.

39 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Of course being a mobile device AAA titles that we see on the PS4/XBone probably won't make an appearance but that has never been Nintendo's forte.

Getting AAA titles was for a long time Nintendo's big goal in the NES and SNES age. Really it was only with the Wii where that statement became true.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Why do people keep saying it's likely SD based? *If* it even uses an open standard, to be mmc or uhs based. UHS-I you'd be looking at 2kish read iops vs 4kish for mmc 4.5, and if you look at the high end side you'd be looking 3.5kish for the ultra expensive UHS-II cards vs 11k for mmc 5.1 or 19k for ufs 2.0.

The SD interface is incredibly poorly optimized for anything but sequential access.

2 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

Nvidia put out a press release about the custom Tegra in the switch and how it powers the audio/visual. With a custom API called NVN. So it looks like Backwards-Compatibility is completely out the window.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

Plus here's a copy of the Press Release I found

Reveal hidden contents

Only native comparability, emulation is still a possibility.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Oh God...

RIP Nintendo

Unless they can acquire a longstanding company like Klipsch or Bose (looking at you, Razer)

4 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Only native comparability, emulation is still a possibility.

Given how much trouble Dolphin is having emulating the Wii, I doubt it will. But it's not a bad thing, the Wii U was built on top of the Wii which was built on top of the gamecube so they probably needed to exit the heap they'd got themselves in.

31 minutes ago, FratStar said:

I doesn't seem to have a disc drive so it might be coming from Nintendo's online store.

Probably... I want to say that their might be some system where you can register your WiiU game and download it as digital copy on the NX.... but this is Nintendo...

But, regardless, If it comes out with the WiiU library at the same time as the NX, this is great push as most didn't play them, as the WiiU didn't sell particularly well. I wonder if the rumored bundle will be like: Console + Zelda + 1-2 good WiiU game. That would be a be a killer deal, and completely justify the rumored 100$ price increase

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Probably... I want to say that their might be some system where you can register your WiiU game and download it as digital copy on the NX.... but this is Nintendo...

they could also release a disc drive accessory and sell it for like 50, and you can play the wii u games while in docked mode, that seems more likely for nintendo

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

32 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Another reason why we won't likely see AAA games. The blu-ray discs on Ps4/XBone have up to 50GB capacities whereas I can't see Nintendo exceeding 32GB for cost reasons per cart. Hopefully I'm wrong.

64gb flash cards are relatively cheap I don't think it's an issue. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Pyrii said:

Given how much trouble Dolphin is having emulating the Wii, I doubt it will. But it's not a bad thing, the Wii U was built on top of the Wii which was built on top of the gamecube so they probably needed to exit the heap they'd got themselves in.

Actually emulation of wii has been possible on even mid-low range nvidia cards for a while. It's mostly a software hurdle compared to not having the power for emulation. 

Just now, Misanthrope said:

64gb flash cards are relatively cheap I don't think it's an issue. 

It's cost per unit that's the issue and the difference in price compared to a similarly priced disc. Hence why manufacturers don't include features/parts that would 'only cost a dollar or two more'.

25 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

True but as a manufacturer a disc costs far far less per unit and games are already priced at >$50 for competing consoles. It's just another barrier as the costs will most likely be passed onto the consumer if we do get those types of games.

3DS and Vita game cartridges can be upto 8GB. Those consoles launched what, 5 years ago now? Games on those systems are generally quite a bit cheaper than games on other systems. The cartridges are obviously more expensive than a disk but not excessively so. And how far has solid state storage moved in that time? I don't see it as an issue. Especially compared to the alternative. A portable system that used full sized optical media would be bulky as all hell and have a battery life in the minutes....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

If it's as good as the trailer implies it's probably going to be my first console purchase since the PS3.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Just now, skywake said:

3DS and Vita game cartridges can be upto 8GB. Those consoles launched what, 5 years ago now? Games on those systems are generally quite a bit cheaper than games on other systems. The cartridges are obviously more expensive than a disk but not excessively so. And how far has solid state storage moved in that time? I don't see it as an issue. Especially compared to the alternative. A portable system that used full sized optical media would be bulky as all hell and have a battery life in the minutes....

Technically cartridges are based on EMMC not SSD tech, SSDs are fast because of their controllers that run hot and don't fit in SD card size media. I see your point about 5 years but I'm just being the annoying engineer haha, these BoM cost are much more significant than most people realise.

Something i noticed... in the ad... where are the kids?

Does it mean that Nintendo finally will target an older audience?

1 minute ago, randomhkkid said:

Technically cartridges are based on EMMC not SSD tech, SSDs are fast because of their controllers that run hot and don't fit in SD card size media. I see your point about 5 years but I'm just being the annoying engineer haha, these BoM cost are much more significant than most people realise.

Well EMMC memory did get much faster... should be faster in reads and access time over HDD or disk. Of course, it really depends on what chip Nintendo uses... but hopefully, they don't cheap out too much.

Another thought for the "oh noes, cartridges" crowd:

Blu-Ray: 25-50GB

Blu-Ray XL: 100-128GB

Mini Blu-Ray: 8-16GB

Mini Blu-Ray XL*: 32GB

3DS Cartridge: 8GB

3DS Cartridge in 2017 assuming Moore's Law: 64GB

Given this system is also a tablet. And lets even be conservative about the cartridges and say they're 32GB. Are disks still the best option here?

*Mini Blu-Ray XL isn't actually a thing BTW

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I'm not sure it will be focused on an older audience but featuring Skyrim definitely implies they matter a lot more now

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

maybe they are doing a switch (pun intended) from focusing on kids to an all age direction, it also could be they are targeting the generation that had nintendo 64 and gamecubes on their childhoods like myself and many others

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

45 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

One thing to notice is the lack of drive for disc-based media and in one shot there's a guy popping in a cartridge at the top, so it looks like the rumor of going back to carts is true. Of course it makes sense for a very mobile platform.

I'm totally cool with the carts. Discs are such an old tech and require too much space for the drives. IMO, disc media can quietly die. lol. It's time to move on.

Others are mentioning potential cost issues with carts, but if it becomes the normal common form of storage in this capacity, it will become cheap enough to be a non-issue.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The US site has been kind of broken since just before the trailer released. So here's a linkdump of US and JP Nintendo sites for the Switch. I'm gonna sit back and go back to stuff since there's not much else to be said.

US Site: https://www.nintendo.com/switch

US Press Release: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/first-look-at-nintendos-new-home-gaming-system

US Gallery Image 1: https://www.nintendo.com/images/page/switch/gallery/gallery01.jpg

US Gallery Image 2: https://www.nintendo.com/images/page/switch/gallery/gallery02.jpg

US Partners Sample Image: https://www.nintendo.com/images/page/switch/partners.png

JP Site: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/

JP Press Release (With images): https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2016/161020.html

(Gallery is same as US, just a handy mirror since the US site is unstable atm)

JP Gallery Image 1: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/img/gallery01.jpg

JP Gallery Image 2: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/img/gallery02.jpg

JP Partners Sample Image: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/img/partners.png

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Super Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon and NBA don't seem like adult exclusive games. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.