Nintendo to finally shed more details about the NX early tomorrow (Update: this is the Nintendo Switch)

AlexGoesHigh
19 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Performance disparity between Nintendo and its competitors is the least of the developer's worries. Using NVIDIA already throws a curve ball to console developers because all of the best practices you use for AMD GPU develop don't work on NVIDIA's GPUs. Then there's the fact that they're using an ARM chip. The huge advantage here though is that major engine developers already have an ARM port. Nintendo can now use UE4, Unity, and Source, among other ones right off the bat.

Even if porting becomes a setback for developers releasing onto this platform, I still find a bigger quantity of Nintendo exclusives to be much better than Xbox/PS's exclusives. Nintendo games usually focus on same couch play, so its nice to see them create a console/portable that lets you do exactly that.

Let's hope I can take my Switch and insert it into someone else's dock. 

Nintendo is going to make a lot of money on missing controller parts. Play with friends, one of said friends puts the controller in his pocket, forget it's there and leaves. You're not missing half of your controller. You put your controller in your pocket, behave like a scrublord and wash your cloths with a controller in it, it's dead. etc.

@AlexGoesHigh

May want to add this to your OP. It's a list of publishers and developers supporting the Switch. It's a fairly lengthy list with some big names on it. Hopefully this means better 3rd party support this time around!

Source: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/landing/Nintendo-Switch/

1c5cb80030.png

COMIC SANS

There's some No-Man's-Sky levels of over-hyping starting to happen in this thread with people filling in gaps about performance, games etc.

Till games are announced, don't count on their release on the console.

As for Tegra, expect the worst, be pleasantly surprised in my motto. Nvidia may be overstating their involvement with the console, or Nintendo may have left a lot of development to Nvidia. The latter being unlikely as Nintendo is known to be extremely rigid when working with partners. Especially western ones.

EDIT: @GoodBytes You're pearoasting hard at the moment. The Nvidia release and those images were already posted. I think the topic merge has mixed some stuff up though

8 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

@AlexGoesHigh

May want to add this to your OP. It's a list of publishers and developers supporting the Switch. It's a fairly lengthy list with some big names on it. Hopefully this means better 3rd party support this time around!

Source: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/landing/Nintendo-Switch/

FROMSOFT?!?!?!?!

12 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

There's some No-Man's-Sky levels of over-hyping starting to happen in this thread with people filling in gaps about performance, games etc.

Till games are announced, don't count on their release on the console.

As for Tegra, expect the worst, be pleasantly surprised in my motto. Nvidia may be overstating their involvement with the console, or Nintendo may have left a lot of development to Nvidia. The latter being unlikely as Nintendo is known to be extremely rigid when working with partners. Especially western ones.

Have to agree. It "looks" very impressive in the promo, but that's exactly what the promo is designed to do. 

Personally, I will wait until a good number of review surface from reputable sources, outlining all the aspect of the console in full detail. Then decide if it's worth it.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Looks quite interesting. Much better than those pointy elliptical renders that had the controls poking through the screen.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

19 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

EDIT: @GoodBytes You're pearoasting hard at the moment. The Nvidia release and those images were already posted. I think the topic merge has mixed some stuff up though

I didn't merge anything...

No Man Sky, said things that the game didn't do. So far, this Nintendo console showed nothing that isn't possible.

We know the power of the Shield home console and tablet. We see that the tablet has an active cooling system (from the video) which suggests that indeed it will be powerful. We see that Zelda ran choppy when the guy was on the go, suggesting that.. yes.. the game needs optimization, and still in development.. and it is unlikely that Nintendo will release a game with so low frame rate, but seeing it playing fine on the TV, says that the console downclocks when un-docked, as rumors were saying. So, we can see that the game will have to cut graphics when it goes in mobile mode.

The side controllers are indeed small, as we can see, but that is why Nintendo has that Adapter to make it larger, and of course the Pro controller which looks like the XBox controller, which is excellent.

The only disappointing thing will be battery life... probably will have 3-4h battery life at best. But we have to be realist. It isn't a 800$ system, it needs to be lightweight, and I don't think anyone wants to use Samsung high capacity small package battery introduced in the Note 7.

34 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

X1 is 2 years old.

So probably be X2, which should match the XBox One performance.

By core count alone compared to 1060, assuming it isn't at much lower clocks as it most likely is it would be around 650 non ti performance or 7770 

Even The Xbox One is quite a bit faster than that in games.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I didn't merge anything...

Wasn't saying you did, but there was a merge, I figured that might be why you didn't see that all the stuff you were posting has been shown already. The current OP hasn't really consolidated this information very well. I'd be tempted to post a recap of posts/links but that may be lost while the discussion continues.

30 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

X1 is 2 years old.

So probably be X2, which should match the XBox One performance.

Parker doesn't match the Xbox One for performance. The GPU has just over half the performance of the Xbox One GPU, though the CPU should be pretty close.

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Parker doesn't match the Xbox One for performance. The GPU has just over half the performance of the Xbox One GPU, though the CPU should be pretty close.

Perhaps. Well, regardless it can't be the Tegra X1. But for sure, the console has 2 speed modes... docks and mobile. Won't be surprised if the fan always kick-in when dock.

Seeing the look of the game cartridge got me all excited at the possibility of 3DS compatibility. Doubt that's actually a thing but they do look similar!

Edit: "The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards." - NVidia Blog

So Switch using Pascal confirmed?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

If it is indeed Parker I'll be interested to see how it stacks up against x86 for heavier gaming. The DenverV2 cores in Parker are really powerful, at least for ARM cores, and games typically benefit more from a few fast cores than a bunch of slow ones like the current gen consoles with their 8 piddly cores...

This will sound strange but I hope their third party support isn't just games: I'd love to be able to get one of these to replace my Kindle since it could be a proper tablet that can also game.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

This will sound strange but I hope their third party support isn't just games: I'd love to be able to get one of these to replace my Kindle since it could be a proper tablet that can also game.

Lol xD Nintendo as the fifth power player, stealing the tablet market from Android, iOS, Windows, and Blackberry? xP

To people complaining or worrying about the controller(s) being too small... 

Let me remind you of the size of the legendary NES and SNES controllers: 

Image result for nes controller

Image result for snes controller

As long as they don't feel cramped and provide good tactile feel/response, the size shouldn't really matter. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

18 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

Wasn't saying you did, but there was a merge, I figured that might be why you didn't see that all the stuff you were posting has been shown already. The current OP hasn't really consolidated this information very well. I'd be tempted to post a recap of posts/links but that may be lost while the discussion continues.

Ya I saw his thread but I continued mine as it looked like he wasn't updating his with newer photos/specs/links. Kinda weird to merge a pre-release thread with an overview but hey I'm not a mod :P

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

22 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Seeing the look of the game cartridge got me all excited at the possibility of 3DS compatibility. Doubt that's actually a thing but they do look similar!

Edit: "The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards." - NVidia Blog

So Switch using Pascal confirmed?

Pascal not confirmed. But Nvidia Tegra yes, as you read. But it is most likely using Pascal.. or the so call unreleased, not full specs revealed Tegra X2.

No it won't take 3DS games.. if you go back to page 6, look at the picture I found from Nintendo website, the underside of the cartridge looks different.

2 hours ago, Agost said:

Wait a minute

WAIT A MINUTE

FROM SOFTWARE

PLS GIVE THE SWITCH DS3 COMPLETE EDITION AND ARMORED CORE!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The feature I'm most hoping for is 3DS/DS compatibility in the Game Slot.

Or perhaps an Air client where you can just stream the game to your Switch and have it show up on TV.

Spoiler