Nintendo to finally shed more details about the NX early tomorrow (Update: this is the Nintendo Switch)

AlexGoesHigh
5 minutes ago, skywake said:

Another thought for the "oh noes, cartridges" crowd:

Blu-Ray: 25-50GB

Blu-Ray XL: 100-128GB

Mini Blu-Ray: 8-16GB

Mini Blu-Ray XL*: 32GB

3DS Cartridge: 8GB

3DS Cartridge in 2017 assuming Moore's Law: 64GB

Given this system is also a tablet. And lets even be conservative about the cartridges and say they're 32GB. Are disks still the best option here?

*Mini Blu-Ray XL isn't actually a thing BTW

Unfortunately just because Moore's law says we can do things doesn't mean it happens. No one ever said discs were a better option, just that the cartridges will increase cost at comparable capacity.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

46 minutes ago, BonSie said:

My money's on it using the Tegra X2, since it gives NVIDIA an excuse to push volume on their new SoC.

46 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

True but as a manufacturer a disc costs far far less per unit and games are already priced at >$50 for competing consoles. It's just another barrier as the costs will most likely be passed onto the consumer if we do get those types of games.

It may cost a little more but I doubt it's going to drive up the cost of the games themselves. Plus developers can size the chips to just enough and considering how little it costs for say even 16GB these days for the average consumer, I don't think it would cost Nintendo all that much to go flash memory vs. BD.

And again, a lot of games don't actually take up the BD disk they live on. I have like six games on my PS4 which should be 150GB or higher, but last I checked I was using less than 100 GB for games.

8 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Skyrim? Fuck yeah. Possible remaster coming as well?

Considering the likely release of the console, it's probably going to be the special edition.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

30 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Why do people keep saying it's likely SD based? *If* it even uses an open standard, to be mmc or uhs based. UHS-I you'd be looking at 2kish read iops vs 4kish for mmc 4.5, and if you look at the high end side you'd be looking 3.5kish for the ultra expensive UHS-II cards vs 11k for mmc 5.1 or 19k for ufs 2.0.

The SD interface is incredibly poorly optimized for anything but sequential access.

MMC is SD card's ancestor (and are in fact mostly compatible) and UHS is an SD card specification. o3o

My official guess is on a Parker SoC with a second discrete GPU, pretty much like half of a PX2 (minus all the car stuff).

Everybody keeps talking about an X2? Has Nvidia ever announced an X2 chip? I thought they only released details on Parker and the PX2.

SOLD!
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
and was that the witcher 3 and Skyrim running in the plane?!
Never was i so excited for a console since the PS3 and Wii! Good Big N isn't just a me too like the other two

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

My official guess is on a Parker SoC with a second discrete GPU, pretty much like half of a PX2 (minus all the car stuff).

Everybody keeps talking about an X2? Has Nvidia ever announced an X2 chip? I thought they only released details on Parker and the PX2.

Parker is Tegra X2.

11 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Unfortunately just because Moore's law says we can do things doesn't mean it happens. No one ever said discs were a better option, just that the cartridges will increase cost at comparable capacity.

Which is why I halved it. Frankly if 3DS and Vita games could exist five years ago at upto 8GB? Games that weren't ridiculously expensive by any stretch. Then I think in 2017 and beyond 32GB isn't much of a stretch at all. And 32GB is better than what they'd likely get from an optical drive designed to fit a semi-portable device. I don't at all think consumers will notice the difference on the pricetag. On the other I think they'd have been very annoyed by the physical limitations they would have faced if they had gone the other route.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Man I thought that was skyrim (YAY!)... I'd love to play that on a mobile device honestly.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Man I thought that was skyrim... I'd love to play that on a mobile device honestly.

It was!

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

MMC is SD card's ancestor (and are in fact mostly compatible) and UHS is an SD card specification. o3o

MMC has evolved a lot from just being SD's ancestor. You commonly see it nowadays as eMMC but it's all from the same spec. Modern MMC is better for random reads and writes while modern SD is better for sequential reads and writes.

UHS is an SD bus yes, that's why I was comparing it on the SD side to newer MMC standards and UFS.

UFS is the successor of MMC and SD and is substantially faster than either at both random and sequential.

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Man I thought that was skyrim... I'd love to play that on a mobile device honestly.

Isn't that what'd you call a laptop?

3 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

It was!

I know! So happy!

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Isn't that what'd you call a laptop?

A pocket mobile with proper controller... (similar to my note tablet) I'm not a big fan of playing games on a laptop disconnected (because laptop keyboards are shite) plus this looks to have real controls (skyrim pc controls were clearly baked in after the fact, even if certain mods make it functional).

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

MMC has evolved a lot from just being SD's ancestor. You commonly see it nowadays as eMMC but it's all from the same spec. Modern MMC is better for random reads and writes while modern SD is better for sequential reads and writes.

UHS is an SD bus yes, that's why I was comparing it on the SD side to newer MMC standards and UFS.

UFS is the successor of MMC and SD and is substantially faster than either at both random and sequential.

Honestly nand flash is dirt ass cheap. Even a 64 GB ufs card probably costs like 3 dollars to manufacture (spot price of 64GB nand in the current market is 9.5 dollars).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I think I'll stick to Skyrim on my PC, especially since special edition releases in 8 days, along with mods, like actually having some choices and things to do with lesbian marriage partners etc.

I am curious how the Switch compares to the Wii U in terms of power etc. Since Zelda BotW will be releasing on both. I did notice that BotW was being played on a pretty heavily modified Wii U controller during E3.

dear god i didn't want a console so much since forever, i have never reached this level of hype on gaming hardware before

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I'd argue however that random access isn't really that important for games. Game developers have figured out over time how to structure their assets in the file system to be read as fast as possible with the expectation (at least since the mid 90s to early this decade) that they would be read from an optical disk. And those techniques can carry over regardless of the media you choose.

For instance, it's possible to play GTA V when its assets live on a NAS. Granted you have to use a 1Gbps Ethernet line, but it's possible.

3 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

I think I'll stick to Skyrim on my PC, especially since special edition releases in 8 days, along with mods, like actually having some choices and things to do with lesbian marriage partners etc.

I am curious how the Switch compares to the Wii U in terms of power etc. Since Zelda BotW will be releasing on both. I did notice that BotW was being played on a pretty heavily modified Wii U controller during E3.

dude while showing third party is awesome for nintendo i reached maximum hype on the mario kart part, third party is more like icing on the cake rather that the cake itself

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 minute ago, Pyrii said:

I am curious how the Switch compares to the Wii U in terms of power etc. Since Zelda BoW will be releasing on both. I did notice that BoW was being played on a pretty heavily modified Wii U controller during E3.

Nha. The WiiU controller has no processing power. The controller modification is to have power and direct link video and controller. Basically, it doesn't use wireless connectivity to not have wireless connectivity issue which has happened to both Apple and Nintendo during presentations.

7 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

If it's based on Parker the GPU has twice the GPU performance of the Wii-U and likely a bit more than that real world since the Wii-U underperformed compared to what it should have, especially since Parker supports HSA and I'd assume Nvidia Switch APIs make use of it.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd argue however that random access isn't really that important for games. Game developers have figured out over time how to structure their assets in the file system to be read as fast as possible with the expectation (at least since the mid 90s to early this decade) that they would be read from an optical disk. And those techniques can carry over regardless of the media you choose.

For instance, it's possible to play GTA V when its assets live on a NAS. Granted you have to use a 1Gbps Ethernet line, but it's possible.

That's not as much a problem when you can load big swathes of resources into memory with consoles with lots of fast memory but as a portable device the memory on the switch is likely more constrained and that means fetching resources more often.

here hoping that Nintendo sets guidelines to their third party partner to make 60 fps the standard. Also that games come in one piece on the cartridge and not a mix of disc installs and downloads 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Nintendo > PS and XBox

As it's always been

PC+Switch master race.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Nha. The WiiU controller has no processing power. The controller modification is to have power and direct link video and controller. Basically, it doesn't use wireless connectivity to not have wireless connectivity issue which has happened to both Apple and Nintendo during presentations.

I know this much. Honestly it can be used as a dummy controller for anything if yu know what you're doing so I wondered if they were using NX hardware back then.

49ff06934d.jpg

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

here hoping that Nintendo sets guidelines to their third party partner to make 60 fps the standard. Also that games come in one piece on the cartridge and not a mix of disc installs and downloads 

it would be highly stupid to use multiple carts when there are flash chips with more capacity that any optical media, they have the massive advantage of not being limited by discs, my guess is that over time they are going to add availability for higher capacity carts.

40 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

It's cost per unit that's the issue and the difference in price compared to a similarly priced disc. Hence why manufacturers don't include features/parts that would 'only cost a dollar or two more'.

There is no cheaper-to-manufacture equivalent for this form factor: using discs it's just fucking stupid i.e. The PSP Third party support will not be affraid of read only memory given how it' was already massively successful with the Nintendo DS and 3DS.

It's like we're fucking talking about things Nintendo already done here guys, if anything technology has gotten better since fucking 10 years ago when they've done it successfully and density it's good enough to fit even fairly large games. Just stop ok? This is the worst kind of non-issue I've seen some of you raise.

-------

Current Rig

-------