PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

@jonnyGURU I think these are TFX mounting holes?

Spoiler

611s3Wxjz4L._SL1200_.jpg

In fact the PSU itself seems exactly TFX sized though I don't have much experience with TFX

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

@jonnyGURU I think these are TFX mounting holes?

Reveal hidden contents

611s3Wxjz4L._SL1200_.jpg

In fact the PSU itself seems exactly TFX sized though I don't have much experience with TFX

I just realized why you were asking.  I've ordered a new case because the GPU wouldn't fit in the slim one.  I need an ATX PSU.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I just realized why you were asking.  I've ordered a new case because the GPU wouldn't fit in the slim one.  I need an ATX PSU.

Oh. Yeah that makes it way easier xD

Remind me then, which GPU and CPU combo you runnin' and which country?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Oh. Yeah that makes it way easier xD

Remind me then, which GPU and CPU combo you runnin' and which country?

An i5-2400, and either a 980 or 1060 3GB.  Best to assume the 980 obviously.  The CM power calculator said ~390W, so 450W.  I'm in the US.  If it's a MIR I can guaranty you I'll forget to send it in lol.  I'm not in a rush anyway.

It doesn't have to be nice.  I just want something better than the existing one so I can feel okay about selling it.  The cheap price tag of that EVGA one (which you guys said was probably cheap quality too) was very tempting, but the price went up yesterday anyway, so that's pointless lol.  So what tier would you count the Dell one as?  I know without any hands on experience you can't really say with too much confidence, just hoping for an educated guess.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

An i5-2400, and either a 980 or 1060 3GB.  Best to assume the 980 obviously.  The CM power calculator said ~390W, so 450W.  I'm in the US.

It doesn't have to be nice.  I just want something better than the existing one so I can feel okay about selling it.  The cheap price tag of that EVGA one (which you guys said was probably cheap quality too) was very tempting, but the price went up yesterday anyway, so that's pointless lol.  So what tier would you count the Dell one as?  I know without any hands on experience you can't really say with too much confidence, just hoping for an educated guess.

Budget option:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

Upper Midrange option:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Qb8j4D/seasonic-focus-gold-450w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-450fm

(need confirmation that this is internally the same as the Focus Plus)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Upper Midrange option:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Qb8j4D/seasonic-focus-gold-450w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-450fm

(need confirmation that this is internally the same as the Focus Plus)

Pretty sure it's the same other than a change in the caps, and PFC and primary switching FETs

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

Pretty sure it's the same other than a change in the caps, and PFC and primary switching FETs

So like, at worst T2 instead of 1 right?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

So like, at worst T2 instead of 1 right?

Yeah

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Hi I just registered here to point a brand that it's been building garbage PSUs for quite a long time and (at least in Spain) is somewhat spread, I'm talking about Tacens Mars Gaming lineup of PSUs, from fake wattage to even fake 80+ rating (sending different PSUs for testing than for selling), their products are mostly overrated home burning boxes.

They even invented this 85-plus.png efficiency, just so they didn't need official 80+ ratings (note that the image is directly taken from their webpage).

Here an example of their "85 plus 1000W" PSU:

http://www.marsgaming.eu/en/power-supplies/mp1000-power-supply_mp1000

7 minutes ago, YOEL_44 said:

Hi I just registered here to point a brand that it's been building garbage PSUs for quite a long time 

Without reviews, they won't really get on the list at all. From the lack of reviews, it should be fairly obvious that they're absolute crap, though. 

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2289.htm

PSUs don't get tiered by brand, but on a model by model basis. 

And who knows, maybe one day they decide to sell an actually decent PSU

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

PSUs don't get tiered by brand, but on a model by model basis. 

And who knows, maybe one day they decide to sell an actually decent PSU

Maybe just a small warning for the current lineup, I mean, we know they're crap, we can't flag them because there aren't reviews but a 80€ 1000W PSU can't be half decent, and even though it's no more online, there was in fact a review of an older model on wich they compared an actual selling unit with the one they just got for the review, demonstrating how they got the 80+ rating and european aprovation.

I don't want to insist more on this, is just that there's people out there buying this things and there's no place on wich they're advised as dangerous, when they potentially are.

14 minutes ago, YOEL_44 said:

Maybe just a small warning for the current lineup, I mean, we know they're crap, we can't flag them because there aren't reviews but a 80€ 1000W PSU can't be half decent, and even though it's no more online, there was in fact a review of an older model on wich they compared an actual selling unit with the one they just got for the review, demonstrating how they got the 80+ rating and european aprovation.

I don't want to insist more on this, is just that there's people out there buying this things and there's no place on wich they're advised as dangerous, when they potentially are.

The problem with trying to write a PSU "blacklist" is that it would be so large, it would be unusable other than as a database that you can search.

Instead we have a PSU "whitelist" in @STRMfrmXMN's signature, which is a list of the PSUs from sketchy-ish manufacturers that aren't dangerously bad, because that's a much smaller list and easier to manage.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Instead we have a PSU "whitelist" in @STRMfrmXMN's signature, which is a list of the PSUs from sketchy-ish manufacturers that aren't dangerously bad, because that's a much smaller list and easier to manage.

I actually deleted it from my signature because it became increasingly less important to me than this list.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, Raz415 said:

I'm looking at buying a new PSU since mine seems to have died. I was looking at EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-0650-X2 but it's not on the tier list. Any info on which tier it might land on?

It's in tier 4, and among the most overrated, most overpriced PSUs on the market. 

What country do you live in, and what's your budget? And what are you powering?

37 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's in tier 4, and among the most overrated, most overpriced PSUs on the market. 

What country do you live in, and what's your budget? And what are you powering?

https://valid.x86.fr/ifa69v Here's my PC :) It used to be powered by a EVGA 500W 80+.  I'm planning to buy a new graphics card in a year, maybe a 1080 if they get any cheaper, or something like 1070 if not. The processor I don't really want to change, not unless it's absolutely needed. I might do some light OC on it if I need to for newer games.

I prefer EVGA, the old one is still in warranty so I'm hoping I can talk technical support in either giving me my money back for the borken one or letting me upgrade to something better. The cable for my old one was busted (the PC was making buzzing sounds while on) and customer support was really nice when that happened.

10 minutes ago, Raz415 said:

https://valid.x86.fr/ifa69v Here's my PC :) It used to be powered by a EVGA 500W 80+.  I'm planning to buy a new graphics card in a year, maybe a 1080 if they get any cheaper, or something like 1070 if not. The processor I don't really want to change, not unless it's absolutely needed. I might do some light OC on it if I need to for newer games.

I prefer EVGA, the old one is still in warranty so I'm hoping I can talk technical support in either giving me my money back for the borken one or letting me upgrade to something better. The cable for my old one was busted (the PC was making buzzing sounds while on) and customer support was really nice when that happened.

EVGA... Doesn't make the best in most price ranges.

The Corsair CX450M is $30 as a budget option or the EVGA G2 is $69.89.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, JDE said:

EVGA... Doesn't make the best in most price ranges.

The Corsair CX450M is $30 as a budget option or the EVGA G2 is $69.89.

The G1 link goes to EVGA's EU site, and the specs link ends in .fr. I'm guessing he's French?

Just now, seon123 said:

The G1 link goes to EVGA's EU site, and the specs link ends in .fr. I'm guessing he's French?

Sorry, I forgot to answer some of your questions! I live in Sweden and my budget is 1000 SEK. No idea why it ends in fr, that was the link I got for a 10% off coupon when I used their app to determine how much power my system needs :D

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Pretty sure that spec website is CPU Z's.

But we have to know which EU country @Raz415

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

3 minutes ago, Raz415 said:

Sorry, I forgot to answer some of your questions! I live in Sweden and my budget is 1000 SEK. No idea why it ends in fr, that was the link I got for a 10% off coupon when I used their app to determine how much power my system needs :D

There's many options within that budget. 

TX550M for 600. https://m.prisjakt.nu/product/4159384

Whisper M 450W for 850. https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=4050433

RM550x for 900. https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=3330350

There are some other options, but they're not really worth it, imo. Mostly just the higher wattage/efficiency models of the same PSUs, or they're louder. 

Using the Tier 1 list on the first page, I tried to find a Platinum PSU (for lower energy bills) for up to £100.

Turns out there is only one option:

• Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum, 550 W, fanless under heavy load, 10Y warranty, £97

There are two more if I stretched to £110:

• Super Flower Leadex Platinum, 550 W, unsure if fanless under heavy load, 5Y warranty, £103
  • EVGA SuperNOVA P2, 650W, fanless under heavy load, 10Y warranty, £107

Anyone got any thoughts on these three PSUs?

For reference, these are the next five (which I can't afford):

• Aerocool Project 7 P650, 650 W, fanless under heavy load, 7Y warranty, £112
  • Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum, 650 W, fanless under heavy load, 10Y warranty, £113
  • be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11, 550 W, not fanless under heavy load, Platinum, 5Y warranty, £115
  • Super Flower Leadex Platinum, 650 W, unsure if fanless under heavy load, 5Y warranty, £120
  • Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum, 750 W, fanless under heavy load, 10Y warranty, £125

Just now, kingmustard said:

Using the Tier 1 list on the first page, I tried to find a Platinum PSU for up to £100.

Turns out there is only one option:

• Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum (SSR-550PX), 550 W, fanless under heavy loads, 10-year warranty, £97

There are two more if I stretched to £110:

• Super Flower Leadex Platinum (SF-550F14MP), 550 W, unsure if fanless under heavy loads, 5-year warranty, £103
  • EVGA Supernova P2 (220-P2-0650-X3), 650W, fanless under heavy loads, 10-year warranty, £107

Anyone got any thoughts on these three PSUs?

The Focus is fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, kingmustard said:

Using the Tier 1 list on the first page, I tried to find a Platinum PSU for up to £100.

Why a platinum rated PSU? You realise it's just the efficiency?

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why a platinum rated PSU? You realise it's just the efficiency?

For lower energy bills.