PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

57 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

When 1 rail runs out of spec, you have problems. Still remember the burning smell coming from my GTX 650ti.

Multi Rail:

DSC_2492s.jpg.390fcab7bdc2183f22d4be5cc4cc55ae.jpg

What should go out of spec here?!
And how?!

Yes, it is those three big Resistory things...

And a couple of traces to a protection Chip...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

When 1 rail runs out of spec, you have problems. Still remember the burning smell coming from my GTX 650ti.

That was caused by a faulty GPU (or PSU), not two rails. When one rail "goes out of spec", it trips OCP and the PSU shuts down. It's not like the rail is physically incapable of more current, it's just the OCP trip point. 

I see many people think multiple rails is something that can burn, or get damaged or whatever, when in reality it's just a single rail with some supervisor components (shunts, 12V channels) monitoring current. 

6 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

That was caused by a faulty GPU (or PSU), not two rails. When one rail "goes out of spec", it trips OCP and the PSU shuts down. It's not like the rail is physically incapable of more current, it's just the OCP trip point. 

I see many people think multiple rails is something that can burn, or get damaged or whatever, when in reality it's just a single rail with some supervisor components (shunts, 12V channels) monitoring current. 

True dual rails do exist, although I haven't seen any in a while. 

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

2 hours ago, awesomegamer919 said:

True dual rails do exist, although I haven't seen any in a while. 

Yes, back in 2006 and up to 2008 or maybe 10.

CWT PUC Plattform was one of those but that hasn't been in use for a decade or so...

Out with the old in with the new...

Spoiler

5aa2c0ef8e81f_20180309_1117591.thumb.jpg.1b0b5da771216d5c5a342563d249f88f.jpg

Overall very pleased so far, they even included some zipties and velcro strips for cable management. Much quieter than my old tx650 aswell. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

3 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

Out with the old in with the new...

Hide contents

5aa2c0ef8e81f_20180309_1117591.thumb.jpg.1b0b5da771216d5c5a342563d249f88f.jpg

Overall very pleased so far, they even included some zipties and velcro strips for cable management. Much quieter than my old tx650 aswell. 

I’m loving my Focus plus gold 550w! Only slight bummer is that they only include one PCI-E cable that splits into two 8 pins instead of two separate cables. Just something that triggers my ocd lul.

Apart from that it’s a great unit. 

On 7.03.2018 at 10:43 PM, Stefan Payne said:

The Gold one is CWT GPS wich is a rather shitty plattform, if nothing is done to it and the fan is not known. If it is the default Hong Hua in my GPS-750V, then its really annoying - like 10m away you can hear it annoying.

The other one is Sama I think...

As OrionFOTL said, Silentium PC is SAMA platform, it was always like that.

The Gold one is CWT GPS wich is a rather shitty plattform, if nothing is done to it and the fan is not known. If it is the default Hong Hua in my GPS-750V, then its really annoying - like 10m away you can hear it annoying.

Well if it says something to You, the fan is made by 'aobos' (as far as I know, the same one is used in VIVO 24k).

Don't know about the protection IC but doesn't look great AFAIR.

There is not much English source...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=420

But it has new revision with some improvements. Anyway when we're talking about Supremo (not modular) it's price level similar to Bitfenix Formula 450, Cougar LX500 (so locally 85$).

Caseking should deliver to Poland ;)

If you want to order in Germany that is...

Nah, I jus wanted to complain a little bit :D

CX550 is OK, fan RPM under lower loads on the higher side -> around 800-900rpm for whatever reason.

Pure Power 10 is the best Choice IMO

ANtec NeoECO is not known but seems like a low end CWT Plattform - like CX430/500, the generation before.

TS550 Gold is worth a look, though its an ancient design -> Seasonic G-Series based.

Silentium L2 Bronze or gold?
The Bronze seems not that great, though reasonably (LLC-Resonant mode Converter with double Mag Amp so also Indypendently regulated). And the Gold one is somewhat OK - but nothing is known about that.

I'm becoming convinced to CX550, most attractive price and I've some negatie prejudice about BeQuiet, don't ask me why ;O

19 minutes ago, Fawn said:

As OrionFOTL said, Silentium PC is SAMA platform, it was always like that.

ARGH, I forgot that I mentioned it two times in that post and only edited the second time, not the first...

There is not much English source...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=420

But it has new revision with some improvements. Anyway when we're talking about Supremo (not modular) it's price level similar to Bitfenix Formula 450, Cougar LX500 (so locally 85$).

That one is similar to Cougar GX-S, same Sirfa Plattform.

I'm becoming convinced to CX550, most attractive price and I've some negatie prejudice about BeQuiet, don't ask me why ;O

Because 10 Years ago a unit died. Or 15 Years ago something happened...

And you know what? 15 Years ago, most PSU were garbage by todays standard. You couldn't hardly find any decent one sold to consumers, the good stuff was only in Servers and Workstations, not sold in the DIY Market. That began to change slowly around 2006-2008...

And when Corsair entered the market, some be quiet units were already out of warranty. They are rather old and started around 2002 or 2003, corsair around 2006.

And the E5 Series had a Problem with some part that failed...

Anyway, get the Bitfenix Formula, that is the best one. Because rather low fan RPM (around 450rpm or so under lower load), the Corsair has around double that. AFAIR ~800rpm for whatever reason.

Be quiet Pure Power 10/400 starts at around 500rpm so does Cougar LX500.

But since the LX500 is a bit expensive, I'd not recommend it.

AFAIR ~800rpm for whatever reason.

Yes, 818 RPM according to Cybenetics. And the CXM 450/550/650 are even higher, at 925 RPM.

Can a plat psu be low tier, ie 4 or below?

gold psu below 5?

can ratings be an indication?

Just now, pomkon said:

gold psu below 5?

There's a pinned post explaining what 80+ ratings mean.

:)

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

There's a pinned post explaining what 80+ ratings mean.

does anyone else misunderstand my question? 

3 hours ago, pomkon said:

does anyone else misunderstand my question? 

Your question is not misunderstood at all.  There's a whole other thread discussing exactly what you're asking. You're just being asked to continue with that discussion instead of turning this discussion into another of the same. 

6 hours ago, pomkon said:

gold psu below 5?

There's a post in my signature, also pinned on this subforum, about what 80 PLUS ratings mean. They are not a direct indicator of quality, though yes, a platinum PSU is generally at a much higher tier than a bronze one.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

http://www.super-flower.com.tw/product-data.php?productID=84&lang=tw

Is it just me, or is the Bronze King new?

I might buy one to do a regular consumer standpoint review, and then sell it off on Craigslist lol

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

18 minutes ago, JDE said:

a regular consumer standpoint review

As in one of those "didn't explode with a 750 Ti and Pentium G3240, 5/5 amazing PSU" type Amazon reviews? o.O

Didn't find the Bronze king on realdhardtechx, so it's probably new?

:)

9 hours ago, pomkon said:

gold psu below 5?

Efficiency has NOTHING to do with Quality, just Efficiency.

And there are group regulated units in both categories, so that's that...

27 minutes ago, seon123 said:

As in one of those "didn't explode with a 750 Ti and Pentium G3240, 5/5 amazing PSU" type Amazon reviews? o.O

Didn't find the Bronze king on realdhardtechx, so it's probably new?

No, as in like most of everything but without a oscilloscope

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Time to downgrade that I think.

Well, there are some decent ones probably, but its total chaos...

And this one doesn't look good at all:
http://www.itocp.com/htmls/10/n-5110-4.html

Thinking bump the non 650W versions down to T4 or T5?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Thinking bump the non 650W versions down to T4 or T5?

Seems to be way more complicated than that, according to RHTX...

Looks like most of those aren't worth it, only the Neo ECO II could eventually be the one you mean, not the Neo ECO Series. They seem to be Standard CWT Group Regulated units

Anyone here have the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold? How does it compare against the RM550x? I want a near silent PSU that's also gonna work for atleast half a decade. I was dead set on getting the RM550x until I found out about the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, then I was dead set on getting that until I started looking up stuff about it, and I've found two weird quirks with this PSU.

• The fans make a ticking sound by design. At first I thought this was just a defect but even a reviewer that doesn't mention the ticking sound at all has it plainly audible in his video. You can even compare it to another PSU which doesn't have it in the same video. If you search for "Seasonic Focus Plus fan noise" on youtube you can find a few more videos about this. Some German review site also mentioned this issue, but I can't find the link to that anymore.
  • On Newegg (And to a lesser extent Amazon) there's a lot of people reporting it dying after a few weeks or months. I know this has a 10 year warranty but it doesn't matter much if the RMA process is a big pain in the butt.

The fan ticking sound is the real reason I'm not so sure on this PSU anymore. Even though it has a silent mode I'm not even sure if it's meant to be used with that 24/7. I'd imagine the RM550x is specifically made to be used with the fanless mode so it'd last longer, atleast that's what I'd think. I'm just wondering if maybe Seasonic fixed the fan issue or if I should go with the RM550x after all because there doesn't seem to be any issues with the fans on that PSU according to google and youtube searches.

Or maybe you guys could recommend me another PSU? That's better suited towards my needs since 550 watts is way too much for the hardware I'll be putting in it. But there doesn't seem to be any quiet and efficient 450W PSU, except for maybe the Bitfenix Whipser but it's not available in my country (Belgium) for the MSRP so I'd have to get it for 30 euros more than it should cost. Apparently EVGA Supernova's are really good and quiet and people in youtube comments always seem to switch to those when they have coil whine issues with PSUs and are happy, but like the Bitfenix one, EVGA PSUs aren't available in my country. Initially I was going to go with a CX450M, they have a 5 year warranty but the fans also make a ticking noise after a while it seems due to bearings wearing out or something. 

And Be Quiet PSUs have half the warranty of these other PSUs, though they seem pretty good noise wise. I just want a PSU that'll last me a couple of PC builds. (I upgrade every few years) And I absolutely hate being without a PC due to a PSU failure or whatever so I'd really like something very reliable.

Sorry for the long post or if posts asking for recommendations aren't allowed in this topic, doubt anyone will read it but thanks if you do anyways.

1 hour ago, hyperdimension said:

But there doesn't seem to be any quiet and efficient 450W PSU, except for maybe the Bitfenix Whipser but it's not available in my country (Belgium) for the MSRP so I'd have to get it for 30 euros more than it should cost.

...or order from Caseking in Germany, that's always an option...

Apparently EVGA Supernova's are really good and quiet

Not really, only OKish/decent, not particularly quiet...

I was going to go with a CX450M,

Not that quiet, also have quite high fan RPM for whatever reason...

And Be Quiet PSUs have half the warranty of these other PSUs, though they seem pretty good noise wise.

Yes. and? Warranty is overrated and you forget the quality. Like having a phone number you can call...

I just want a PSU that'll last me a couple of PC builds. (I upgrade every few years) And I absolutely hate being without a PC due to a PSU failure or whatever so I'd really like something very reliable.

1. Don't count on it too much!

2. If you are afraid of beeing without a PSU, do you have a replacement lying around? Because that's what you'd do if you really need the PC.

And what about Motherboard Failure? Are you afraid of that too? Do you have a replamcenent Motherboard? And what about the CPU? You get my point?

Thing die, thats the price you have to pay for the lowish prices....

my Seasonic X750w have produced some inconsistent Arcing/Bzz-like noise (which has been since august) and sometime makes me worried,but it's still fine to this day though. I believe it's coil whine? (sometimes happened even though I'm just browsing,sometime not even happened in game)

(The reason this happened is because after I bring my PC to installed a new AIO , Plug in PSU Cord and turn on ups to face that PC didnt start , trying pull the PSU Cord on PC out and retry for two times then it work fine , with the last time it had short "zap" when UPS is turn on completely, and it just that,it never have that zap when UPS is turn on again. Still works normally to this day)

this leads me to start thinking of replacement. I know that 750w will be overkill on my specs but just for future upgrade I might go in future

So,is there any good choice out there? Requirements : Dust wont affect them hardly , not much loud , Durable & not hot , Least Coil Whine/Buzzing? (I believe this is hard to avoid as all would happened?) Also it won't exploded like what I seen in TVs or Some test videos out there 

I'm in Thailand so choices are limited , it'll down to just around Superflower vs Seasonic 

things like EVGA,BitFenix,BeQuiet,Silverstone is not available here

FX-8320E 

GTX 1060 3GB

8GB RAM

a WD Black 1TB

a Thermaltake Cooler that recently released and dont have it appeared on PCPP yet http://th.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00003089

3 hours ago, MindUnited said:

this leads me to start thinking of replacement. I know that 750w will be overkill on my specs but just for future upgrade I might go in future

If you think that way, you should think about something with Titanium Efficiency. Because you will have the Money for that PSU if you think about those components.

Its not likely that the consumption of cards will rise again and that you might see a 250-300W TDP Card for 250€ or so ever again.

In that area all we will see is 150W tops, maybe 200W at worst. 

So for "Future Upgrades" does not make sense because you don't know what the future will bring!

And it looks like todays PSU might be incompatible with components 2 Years from now. So why bother with that?
Save the money and get what you need right now, not what might eventually bee - because with that reasoning you can get a 1500W PSU...

3 hours ago, MindUnited said:

I'm in Thailand so choices are limited , it'll down to just around Superflower vs Seasonic 

things like EVGA,BitFenix,BeQuiet,Silverstone is not available here

Well, that doesn't leave much choice.

The Leadex II is OKish, but the fan RPM when it starts is very high (around 800rpm with the 140mm fan)....