early report on Quantum Break for PC | Remedy responds

source https://twitter.com/LotRLore/status/717128153508917248

Joseph Bradford, a freelance game journalist wrote on twitter:

So, quick thoughts on #QuantumBreak on #Windows10. It's completely not stable. Like, at all.sub-30 FPS on my GTX980. On LOW settings.

You read that right: I ditched KB/M for my controller because it was a better experience. On PC. In a Shooter.

Also, there is no menu option to quit the game from within the actual game.

CfPAxuwUIAADhi4.jpg:large

MicroSoft .. why do you even bother?!

you pissed off the XBox community by lying to them about the game's exclusivity and now you'll piss off the PC community by releasing a shitty port

I don't understand "you" ... if Phil Spencer is incapable/incompetent in running the PC games subdivision (inside the XBox division), he shouldn't be running it - there's enough evidence that he and/or some higher ups do not understand the PC, what a PC is and what isn't

if this wasn't clear enough already, MicroSoft doesn't give a flying fuck about PC gaming -_-

ps: here are the HW requirements for the game: http://www.quantumbreak.com/windows10/

9Net90K.png

---

update 7th of April

pcgameshardware.de did some preliminary testing with PresentMon: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Quantum-Break-Spiel-15745/Specials/Technik-Test-1191358/

Spoiler

kTCmGzd.jpg

PresentMon is a tool released by Intel's Andrew Lauritzen - uses counters from a Windows facility called Event Tracing for Windows

PresentMon source can be found here: https://github.com/GameTechDev/PresentMon

can be compiled into a executable form with Visual Studio Community (free): https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx

---

update April 13th: https://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/261576-quantum-break-status-update

Remedy publishes status update on Quantum Break technical issues:

Stuttering Frame-Rate / Frame Pacing
There was a major rounding error introduced into our refresh rate predictions on shipping. A solution to this issue is already being worked on; we expect it to be resolved in a Quantum Break Title Update launching in the near future.

Windows 10 Performance Issues
Remedy is looking into how to improve the overall performance of the game. Part of that is working closely with AMD and NVIDIA to address issues and improve the gameplay experience.

Sometimes, after a longer play session, the game can end up to a state where the video memory becomes fragmented, and an important asset gets moved to system memory, which slows the rendering performance significantly. This problem is very rare and Remedy will continue to investigate and improve the video memory behavior in future updates.

If you experience this issue, exiting and restarting Quantum Break will resolve this issue for now. This is one way to identify if you have encountered this issue or if it’s another potential problem.

Graphics Drivers:
We recommend, for AMD Radeon GPU’s, AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1

We recommend, for NVIDIA GPU’s, 362.00 from NVIDIA.

Windows 10 Frame Rate Locked?
In May, Microsoft will be enabling the ability for developers to disable v-sync and adding support for G-Sync and Freesync monitors. This means that UWP games running in full screen, borderless windowed mode will have all of the performance advantages of traditional full screen exclusive mode.

No Option to Quit from Main Menu
We hear you! By popular demand, we are adding an exit option to the main menu in an upcoming title update. For now, similar to all Windows 10 apps, you will need to use Alt-F4 or move the mouse cursor to top right corner of the window to the see the X icon, which you can click to exit the game.

Image Quality
We are working on giving users more control to turn on and off features like film grain. We love the artistic choice for our game, but we also want to give PC gamers more choice and this will come in a future update.

Does Quantum Break support SLI or other multi-GPU solutions?
Quantum Break on Windows 10 unfortunately doesn’t support DirectX12 multi-GPU rendering. Due to the engine architecture, the work needed to support multiple GPUs would have been significant and out of scope for Remedy for Quantum Break.

Render technique and resolution on Windows 10
The Windows 10 version of Quantum Break uses the same reconstruction method as on Xbox One. If your resolution is set to 1080p, the game temporally reconstructs the image (except UI) from four 720p buffers rendered with 4xMSAA, just like on Xbox One. Engine assigns input geometry samples from 4xMSAA rendering into shaded clusters in order to maximize covered geometry while keeping the performance on acceptable level by reducing expensive shaded samples. When you change the resolution, the buffers used to construct the image are always 2/3rds of the set resolution, i.e. in 2560x1440 they would be 1706x960.

^ wow .. what a load of shit! if the game is set to 1080p, render the thing at 1080p

Not surprised. Saved me $60

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Oy and people hate on the PC race, because we are actually wanting to bring change. By not allowing this sort of bullshit to happen to us or console players.

Either port it right or don't port it at all. Because once you screw up with the PC race, we will dunk your ass in oil and set you on fire until you fix it properly, A.K.A Arkham Knight.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Before I ended this threat I couldn't care less for the game, saw a screenshot then kind of cared and now I'm back to not caring about this game.

I've learnt my lesson about AAA Titles.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

some comments suggesting it's a cpu bottleneck with his FX8320, which i highly doubt, it's not an rts or online game to be that heavy on cpu, besides it's dx12 the 9320 should beform better than an i5 with multithreading, unless the game is single threaded, even then his fps cannot be sub 30 because of the cpu, something is broken in the game or nvidia drivers.

i am on win7, so was not gonna get the game anyway, and dx12 starting to feel like a big let down, dont seem to be missing out on much.

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Isn't it more FMV than game? Who would pay for that? 

what is FMV?

14 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Isn't it more FMV than game? Who would pay for that? 

no it's a regular 3D game, not an interactive movie.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

MicroSoft .. why do you even bother?!

you pissed off the XBox community by lying to them about the game's exclusivity and now you'll piss off the PC community by releasing a shitty port

Microsoft didn't lie. At all.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

10 minutes ago, alamox said:

no it's a regular 3D game, not an interactive movie.

Not really, its kinda both. Microsoft is trying to make a film like game.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I really hope it's something unique to his system because that would suck if it was the case. Gears Ultimate wasn't great at launch but KI has been pretty damn good so far.

16 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Microsoft didn't lie. At all.

yes they did -_-

look at the MS press conference when Quantum Break was 1st announced, it said XBOX One exclusive all over the place

Just now, zMeul said:

yes they did -_-

look at the MS press conference when Quantum Break was 1st announced, it said XBOX One exclusive all over the place

There's a difference between mind change and lie.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

There's a difference between mind change and lie.

no their isn't

when you sell pre-orders and HW based on a fucking promise, it's a lie

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no their isn't

Tell me where they promised anything.

13 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Tell me where they promised anything.

when they said "this game will be a XBOX One exclusive" how one should hear it?! :dry:

Ubi's Watch Dogs, The Division?! nVidia's GTX970?! ... neah ..

and you know what's funny? you're a god damn moderator

we're done here, just like GoodBytes, you show bias towards MicroSoft .. for some odd reason

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

when they said "this game will be a XBOX One exclusive" how one should hear it?! :dry:

I don't see any terms that adhere to the definition of "promise."

51 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no their isn't

So, what you are saying is, if a company announces something, they can never go back on it or change it if they find out something else was a better idea?
Because that's exactly what happened here. They started with the intention of the game being exclusive, then, later on, they decided that it would be a good idea to have it on PC. Would you say that they should just have gone "But nope, we already announced Xbone exclusive, so no PC now." ? That's just stupid. 

A company able to change their mind is the best kind of company. It shows that they are always willing to change on things they've decided on, if they see that it wasn't the best decision after all. It's a company that want to deliver what they feel are the best, and not just live by the mercy of their customers and what they've announced earlier. 

It's the same way with release dates for games. When developing a game, after a while you get confident that the game will be ready within a certain date, and then that date is later announced as release date. If the devs later on discover that they won't be able to have a good enough game by that date, they can change the date. 
Announcing one thing, discovering later that it isn't a good idea, then announcing the change. 

Another, more of topic, example are politicians. Do you believe that a politician can't be allowed to say they mean something, then a few years, sometimes even just months, later mean something else, because they've changed their minds? Or should they be held up to what they said once, forever?

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

52 minutes ago, zMeul said:

we're done here, just like GoodBytes, you show bias towards MicroSoft .. for some odd reason

And here you go jumping to conclusions. I disagree with your conclusion and I'm automatically biased towards Microsoft. No, I just disagree with you. I happily criticize Microsoft and any other company, including the one I work for.

Too bad because it seems the game itself is pretty good. It's a great transmedia experiment from Remedy and although there's some wonky shooting and some cringe-worthy story cliches, Quantum Break seems like the first action game taking lessons from the Netflix era.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

3 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

So, what you are saying is, if a company announces something, they can never go back on it or change it if they find out something else was a better idea?

better idea?! people  bought into the pre-orders and bought consoles based on what MS told them, that's a XB1 exclusive

MS shouldn't've plastered the XB1 exclusivity anywhere

if it was such a good idea, why do you think MS isn't releasing Halo on PC .. eh!? XB1 would burn them to the fucking ground, that's why

---

it's marketing and marketing (including advertising) is a tool for businesses to promote and sell products - that's how they sold consoles and that's how they got people to pre-order

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

better idea?! people  bought into the pre-orders and bought consoles based on what MS told them, that's a XB1 exclusive

Something tells me you shouldn't buy something based on exclusivity. You should buy it because of the damn game itself.

I mean seriously. What difference does it actually make if a game is actually exclusive or not? Potential performance benefits? Maybe, but if the game performs well, what's the huge deal? Exclusives should just go away altogether.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

MS shouldn't've plastered the XB1 exclusivity anywhere

if it was such a good idea, why do you think MS isn't releasing Halo on PC .. eh!? XB1 would burn them to the fucking ground, that's why

---

it's marketing and marketing (including advertising) is a tool for businesses to promote and sell products - that's how they sold consoles and that's how they got people to pre-order

They bought it before the game was released, that's their own fault. 
Also, either way, my point stands. MS had decided on one thing, and announced it, then they changed their mind, and announced it. It's simple. 
I can understand that people that had gamer PCs, and then bought Xbone because of the original announcement, are a bit mad. But then again, buying the console because of a game, before that game is released, is risky business. But how many did actually do that? I can't believe too many. And some of those probably are already enjoying other games that actually are exclusive, so they more or less get their moneys worth anyways. 

I did the same thing myself some years ago with PS3. FFX HD was announced, I ran and bought a PS3. It then went 3 years before the game actually released. I could've gotten the PS3 much cheaper if I had just waited until release. That was my own fault. 

A marketing strategy were they deliberately lie, is a bad marketing strategy, and MS is not that stupid. 

I will never blame a company for changing their minds, even though I disagree with the change, but that they have the ability to change is the important bit. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

It is a cool game, but I won't buy it, because Windows store, performance and they didn't even bother to add the exit button. That is on par with shitty cash grab ports of mobile games.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

yes they did -_-

They never specifically said "It was an exclusive", they just hinted that its likely to be.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide