NASA would like to be able to push an asteroid to the moon's surrounding orbit

NovusBal

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/nasa-wants-install-robot-asteroid-push-orbit-around-moon/

NASA has unveiled its ambitious plan to collect a massive space rock, attach a robotic space craft, and move the rock into orbit around the Earth’s moon. The Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM), planned for some time during the 2020s, will allow astronauts to explore the surface of the rock and return with samples.

Ok, this doesn't seem like much to some people, but this can in-fact be a small but very significant step towards many space related objectives.

Think about it, if you can control an asteroid and place it where need be, then you can take samples, and not only that, but possibly gather the valuable materials on that asteroid to be brought back to earth, that could even be expanded in the future to become the form of "Space gathering".

Although we have to see if the costs of achieving this is in-fact worth what we could receive, it's a step in the right direction in my books.

Incoming weaponised asteroid references...

Below is a video demonstrating what they intend to do:

What does everyone think? Would you be excited to see the start of space expansion and objectives within your life-time? I sure would.

Its worth pointing out that the size of the planned asteroid is very small (7-10m wide). Still amazing to think about though!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Once this is capable of being done on a large scale, Astro-mining can become a big thing.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

just like in KSP(kerbal space program)

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Maybe we can finally start calling them ''only-rare-on-Earth minerals''.
Hopefully we'll learn a lot about harvesting asteroids from doing so, it'l be important to the future.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Its worth pointing out that the size of the planned asteroid is very small (7-10m wide). Still amazing to think about though!

that's still large enough to make it through the atmosphere and kill someone...

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question486.htm

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Quickly updated with the video for those not going off-site, it shows the process and what they intend to do.

that's still large enough to make it through the atmosphere and kill someone...

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question486.htm

Hmm worth a lot as well considering a 45m wide asteroid would be worth roughly $195 Billion.

http://www.space.com/19758-asteroid-worth-billions-2012-da14-flyby.html

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Wait can you actually redirect stuff in KSP using gravitational forces? At least I think NASA would be using a gravitational tractor since landing rocket boosters on an irregular and potentially rotating object would be much more difficult than just orbiting it.

Edit after actually watching the video:

nvm they plan on only using gravitational tractors for protecting the planet instead of catching larger asteroids and the plans that they have for bringing an asteroid into Lunar orbit involves getting a small asteroid and basically touching it to move it to where they want it.

Guess what I have running atm. Yeah, rocket science is fun.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Wow! This would be amazing to see happen :)

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Yay the moon has a "moon" of its own. I heard the moon does affect our weather, not sure what might happen to our weather, when they put a asteroid into moon's orbit.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Incoming weaponised asteroid references...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@NovusBal The title is very misleading. They aren't planning on capturing an Asteroid and moving it into Lunar Orbit. They're planning on landing on an Asteroid and picking up a piece of rock (boulder) from the surface, and taking that boulder into Lunar Orbit.

Big difference in my mind.

The launch craft would require need enough delta-v to match the target asteroid's course, and then to haul that mass of rock into lunar orbit.

Don't know if its even realistically achievable.

It's not - which is why they aren't trying to do that. The video clearly shows that they are going to be taking asteroid boulders off the surface of the asteroid, and that is what Astronauts are going to "Explore".

I envision fullscale asteroid mining operations eventually being a thing, but not by dragging them into orbit, or not for a long time.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Will be handy once a big asteroid decides to visit us :)

System:
CPU: I7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz | Motherboard: something with chips | RAM: 8 Gb of something | GPU: AMD HD 7600M | Case: Something made out of plastic | Storage: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB | PSU: something external | Display(s): something glowing | Cooling: jet engine | Keyboard: hama something | Mouse: Logitech something | Sound: Traktor Kontrol S2 as soundcard, AKG K500 Headphones | Operating System: Windoof 10