Windows 10 Service Release 1 coming early August - Out now!

GoodBytes

Update

The Service Release 1 has been released by Microsoft.

You should start having it in your Windows 10 Update if it's not already installed.

The size of the update varies based on your system configuration and what currently installed updates you have.

The Update code is: KB3081424 if you wonder.

Not much details given on the update so far, beside that it contains bug fixes (mostly on the back of the OS), and performance improvements (although no details on how much, probably minor, but hey it's better than nothing). But you can read the KB file here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424 for more details

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-receives-its-first-set-fixes-service-release-1-cumulative-update

Original News

The Verge reports that its sources indicates that Microsoft plans to release a big update for Windows 10.

mswindows2_2040.0.0.jpg

The update includes numerous fixes that users have discovered and experiencing with Windows 10. It is not expected to include new features, just mass number of fixes. The company has been hard at work to make Windows 10 ready, even slow down development of Windows 10 Mobile OS to a point to cause it to delay, to make sure Windows 10 is running smoothly for everyone as quickly as possible.

Soon after SR1, Microsoft is expected to release new builds for testers, which is expected to include Edge extension support, Skype new Universal App, and possibly other improvements.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/30/9072271/microsoft-windows-10-updates

Nice, windows 10 has been perfectly fine for me, expect I get some stutter when listening to music and browsing the internet at the same time which is a little strange. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Well that is what I was pretty much telling everyone that most things would get worked out within a couple of weeks.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

Guess I might also have to undo the changes I did to the regestry to keep them from force restarting my PC. Got so tired of that last night.

Only problems so far for me is software, Itunes currently not able to install and geforce experience saying a gtx 760 is not good enough to optimise games

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Nice, keep it up MS and make improvements across the board :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Only problems so far for me is software, Itunes currently not able to install and geforce experience saying a gtx 760 is not good enough to optimise games

GeForce Experience's optimisations are nonsensical most of the time anyway so I wouldn't consider that a loss.

If only I could access the Settings App. It crashes immediately when I try to open it.

Fixes and speed optimizations are two things that are always welcome in my book. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Service release. Microsoft is releasing a 'service release' for windows 10. That is the most cringe-worthy statement I've ever read. Its a service pack. Microsoft is releasing a service pack. Bad marketing team is bad. Why make things complicated?

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Service release. Microsoft is releasing a 'service release' for windows 10. That is the most cringe-worthy statement I've ever read. Its a service pack. Microsoft is releasing a service pack. Bad marketing team is bad. Why make things complicated?

Service Packs were collections of previously released updates in a single download and they created new baselines for support.

They stopped using that term because its not really applicable since Windows is now like a "rolling release" meaning its no longer going to have huge releases of new features and fixes, they simply release new fixes and releases as soon as they are ready. They've also abandoned "Patch Tuesday" with Windows 10 as well. Security fixes won't come just once a month on the 2nd Tuesday, they'll release as soon as ready.

They've likely switched to "Service Release" because they want a term that is different from "Service Pack" since technically they aren't the same thing.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Service Packs were collections of previously released updates in a single download and they created new baselines for support.

They stopped using that term because its not really applicable since Windows is now like a "rolling release" meaning its no longer going to have huge releases of new features and fixes, they simply release new fixes and releases as soon as they are ready. They've also abandoned "Patch Tuesday" with Windows 10 as well. Security fixes won't come just once a month on the 2nd Tuesday, they'll release as soon as ready.

They've likely switched to "Service Release" because they want a term that is different from "Service Pack" since technically they aren't the same thing.

I wish I could have sat in on the brainstorming session where no one suggested the term 'update'.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Is this what they're calling service packs now? Can't thing stick to one name >.> Service Packs, then X.1, now Service Releases.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Fixes and speed optimizations are two things that are always welcome in my book. 

Lots of fixes = lots of bugs, not so welcome in my book. Better if it's done right first time as best as possible, limiting fixes to near zero.

It would be nice if they actually update my computers to win10, i get only a lot of failed to update on my history, and one didn't even start to download.

(And yes both are legit keys)

Hope they finally fix lots of issues that been present for very long time even in windows 7 and 8.1 that carried over even to windows 10.

Especialy fastboot issues and usb power management issues.

If i attach devices to my usb 2.0 ports mostly i'll  have windows hanging after restarting windows with Q code F6 which say's reserved for future ami error codes.

I did some research on it seems be related to usb power management, also effects fastboot, suposely if you flip switch on psu off and then on before turning on pc there no issues at all.

Sounds more like your motherboard playing up rather than the OS

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133

Yes! They better fix all these bugs and performance issues. 

Service release is a legacy term. Both Windows 95 & 98 saw Service Releases (95 OSR2 and 98 SE) so in reality they've gone back to a term they used to use.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Waiting!! :D

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Hope they fix black screen before logon bug effecting some people with intel hd and another gpu in laptops, aka switchable graphics. Also battery improvements will be good, and it would be nice if windows explorer stoped crashing!

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow