Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

contacting a microsoft rep to renew my pirated windows 10 pro key :/ he wasn't very happy

• 3 weeks later...

I just beat all of the stupidity in this thread in one swoop on purpose:

I tried to use an AIO liquid cooler to make a certain type of resin you make by squishing a certain type of plant between parchment paper (I will not name the plant for the sake of keeping it PG in here) :P

I had an old corsair h60 I didn't care about so i did an experiment with it.

I used a heat gun on the radiator to get the block up over 110 degrees while squishing the plant I'm talking about under it using the mounting pressure to squish it. I used an old motherboard/cpu/power supply that were junk as well. Only thing is that once it got above a certain temperature, smoke starting coming out of it and then coolant leaked everywhere. It was freaking cool. It almost worked too. This would probably actually work with an air cooler, but I wouldn't risk doing this to anything with heat pipes as they could explode but maybe one of those old coolers without heat pipes like from an old Dell would work.

Either way, it was a stupid idea, but fun to experiment with :P

Building a gaming rig with Bullldozer. 

My friend turned it into a server where it has met all of his needs. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Eating that rather grey looking cheeseburger from the local 24hr bakery after a night of drinking back when I was a much younger man.

My first laptop went into early retirement after I brought all those grey chunks, bits of cheese, and cider back up onto it.

I can no longer use the orange-scented cleaning product I used to clean up my mess that night. The smell brings back memories that are best left buried.

I fix copy machines for a living, so I have more than a few of these.  The one that come to mind the most is the one that took me weeks to fix, replacing a lot of different parts, some were rather expensive.  It was just a lose wire.

1. Bought Samsung BadaOS powered smartphone. It was one of the best on paper spec wise back then, but Samsung killed it with absolutely dreadful software support and eventually killed BadaOS entirely.

2. Lenovo netbook, some S10 model iirc. Garbage WLAN, while I had it in service for that WLAN, the screen started flickering and eventually died while it was in service center! Got it back and HDD died. I've been avoiding Lenovo like plague ever since...

I took off my GPU's cooler to replace the thermal paste then forgot to hook up the fans....

Then played skyrim for 2 hours...

Luckily temps only hit 76. (I have good case airflow apparently.) 

Buying some parts from thermaltake in like 2003. I still remember how shitty they were. 

When I bought 120mm fans for a case that only had 60mm fan slots, then proceeding to mount them anyways (fans were mounted by 1 screw, and were front/back).

Also, this one happened a few days ago:

I was putting together a PC out of some leftover parts, and I was putting on an Intel stock cooler. I finished the PC and proceeded to try and install an OS, but I couldn't get farther than the POST screen and the fans got ultra loud. I managed to get into BIOS where I visibly saw the CPU temp jump 10 degrees at a time. I opened the case and realized I failed to secure the stock cooler properly, didn't push down on the pegs before turning them. Guess I'm so used to aftermarket coolers that the stock cooler went completely over my head.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

This was happened when I just finished my 1st own build just before I was ready to start it for the very 1st time, until I relized there's something wrong with this cooler installation, and I thought the airflow direction is upward, so basically I was assuming the cooler is on pull configuration before I even know what is push/pull thing on air cooler, while it's obviously there's 2 arrows shows some direction on the fan's frame.

SO NOOB.. ?

20181106_163314.jpg

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

buying a pair of Titan Xp Star Wars cards because the pair of 1080ti's I had was earning like $20 a day mining cryptocurrency so I wanted to double my daily earnings and the titans where cheaper then what the 1080ti's where selling for at that time only to see earnings drop so fast that in the week or 2 it took me to get the second computer running to run the second 2 cards I was already earning less then I was before I ordered them despite having doubled my hardware hashing power.

I was relatively new to mining at the time, but had already made enough in trading back in November/December of last year to pay for a good chunk of the new hardware.

Buying a 7700K a couple of months before the 8700K was announced and buying a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX while expecting good airflow. Not extremely major screw-ups, but also not quite minor.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

3 minutes ago, campy said:

My dumb ass didn't bother to pay attention to the slot layout on this board so now if I use the turtle beach Santa Cruz I wanted to, I'm blocking the single fan intake to the 8800GT bliss in my xp machine

im seriously thinking about a pci riser and running the card in the back of the case

Is that an LGA1366 board? That's pretty neat and severely limiting at the same time.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Buying a Corsair 450D instead of 760T or Air 540. The cable management space is a joke. One of those “push as hard as you can when putting the back panel on” type of cases. I bought a $350 PC last week that has a better case - with tempered glass side panels.

Also - buying two 970s instead of a 980 Ti (which was about $50 cheaper than the 970s at the time). I don’t know why my dumbass did that. I don’t regret going with the 5820K over the 6700K though.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Something always goes wrong with the IO-shield. Can't explain how that's still possible, but somehow, every. single. time.

Buying a Mugen MAX for 40 euros was probably one the worst calls I have ever done. It's bulky, doesn't perform well and I wouldn't have been able to install it without the screwdriver Noctua's coolers come with.

Going through three headphones from Sony before switching brand probably counts?

Edit/ Someone once offered to bundle a large tube of paste with something I purchased. I ended up actually using it for a good while after I ran out of better stuff, so it's now in various places including my server. It's terrible paste, but my boredom despite of it's enormous quantity is very picky.

back in 2006 i bought my first PC and got it pre assembled by a PC shop, i spend about 800€ just for the GPU because i wanted the fastest available at the time which was a 7950GX2 it was more than twice as expensive as two 7900GT cards but still slower.

also just as today dual GPU sucks donkey balls and i had to deal with micro stutter all the time in the end i left one card disabled most of the time because i was fed up with fiddling around.

I bought a thermaltake PSU and CPU cooler back in 2002. I dropped a metal bracket into a running PC about the same time, shorting the motherboard. It worked afterward, but it seemed to BSOD a lot and was probably never right after that. It also had a Netburst P4 in it, so its entire existence was a mistake.

Combining a overactive 11 year old with a swivel office chair and a wired controller.  Accidentally yanked the new gaming computer off shelf into desk (~1 ft fall).  Fortunately only the wifi antenna was destroyed.  New antenna should be arriving this week.

Getting a 120GB SSD. I had a gift card, and the 250GB version was out of stock. 

Buying the Corsair M65 Pro RGB. Absolutely terrible. Really heavy, extremely uncomfortable, the sniper button placement is aweful, one of the weights is broken, and one of the RGB LEDs is also broken. 

:)

• 1 month later...

The title says it all, what are the biggest mistakes you made while building your pc or what are those DIY ideas that you tried to implement that went wrong? My mistakes included the time when i forgot to plug off the extra openings on the GPU waterblock resulting in water spilling everywhere and also the time when i trued to fill the vrm cover on the Maximus ix formula(without a loop) and forgot too close the other opening which again resulted in water spilling. Thankfully the motherboard wasn't damaged

Biggest mistake was trying to use OEM windows on new PC build and whoops haha

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

That upper right corner arrow lead you to my biggest noob mistake when I was building my 1st PC.

Edited by SansVarnic

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

I tried to assemble a PC in the year ~2004. I had very little to no knowledge on how to do it:

Youtube and other video tutorial sites didn´t exist. I killed the motherboard because I turned the power on without the spacers in place. I got a new one because I claimed it was DOA. I trusted a guy on a forum to pick the right RAM for me but he picked the wrong one. I had to buy new one.