Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Bought a bundles setup

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4Ghz | Cooler: Corsair H80i | Case: Corsair 300R | Motherbord: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3| RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz White |

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr OC | Power Supply: Corsair CX750 | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB

i disnt do this but its one of my favorite stories. my parents first computer was a commodor pc and it would always turn off if you had any staic electricity on you and so my cousin (much older than me) as a kid went to use the computer and he had some static on him and he litterally fried the computer like there was smoke coming out of it (or so ive been told) and now 30 years later they just told my cousins parents that story and it was hilarious

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I plugged a 4 pin floppy connector into a CD aux connector on a sound card when I was quite young. The blue smoke that made the sound card work escaped.
mmmm the smell of burning silicon just exquisite

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

got some thermal paste in cpu socket :( killed mobo and cpu

never thought of that happening now im scared to build my computer lol

i bought a console and have just now seen the error of my ways paid $600 for a ps3 never use it i only own 6 blurays payed $250 for a 360 hardly play it other than with family bought a wii sold it a year later for $70 bought a old gamecube for some nostalgic games formatted the memory card

the worst mistake i ever made was to smash the top of my pc in pure rage .. i managed to break the cover for the graphics card so that the fan couldn't cool it .. resulted in overheating ..

i also downloaded a virus at some point that fried my system ... shamefull i know

Broke a few pin in my CPU socket when removing cpu cooler for cleaning. Took the cpu out to have a look & cleaned it, reapplied thermal paste before putting it back. Computer never starts again. I have no idea how that happen. Finally gave me the push to move from 775 to 1155.

I have one of those Silverstone STF50F-230 modular PSUs that has an odd SATA modular cable that has 6 pins in one end. I accidentally plugged that into an identical plug which was supposedly for one of two PCIE 6 pin connectors. Needles to say it fried out my DVD drive the moment I powered on the system. Thankfully, my Hard Disks were plugged into the correct modular plug.

I'm now afraid to use the second PCIE plug (where I mistakenly plugged the SATA power cable), and the SATA power cable which fried my DVD drive. For my other SATA devices, I'm using the molex plugs with a SATA power adapter.

While replacing a broken mobo I put some things in the return box which was not part of the components which had to go back.

result: no standoff screws (so i could not use it) and no post beep speaker. luckily got some free standoffs + screws a few days later.

I did cut myself while fixing the I/O plate (badly on the thumb) had a blood stained motherboard... could not build my PC for 2 days.

Buying a cheap noname PSU as a temp replacement for my 12 Yr old dying PSU, the thing literally blew up, sparks burnt my wall and fingers, all the components survived but i was really close to taking a hammer to everything in anger at myself. On hindsight, it was quite a spectacle though, huge bang, sparks, screams of pain, you know. The usual.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

- buying a cheapo raidmax 530W PSU semi modular

- buying a reference evga gtx 560 ti

- not planning my color schemes when I first bought all the parts

i almost bought that powersupply lol changed my mind a while ago

I went with a TJ08-e for my case. This thing has had so many annoying issues... I'm so glad to be getting my white R4 in a few weeks...

Also, like Ghost said above me, investing in my PC in general.

I placed a copper coin on my Quadro FX 1500 while it was running and it sparked.

The computer went BSOD and I pulled the plug and took the coin as fast as I could.

It just started up again like nothing happened.

• 1 month later...

Mine has to be tinkering about with my bios and accidentally saving over my overclock profile!! What a doosher!

oh yeah and playing at 1080p and not realising that the screen I was using was 720p lol. bye bye graphics card!

I was showing off too, I was like "yeah look, duke nukems running at like 5'000'000'000 frames a second"..............................power off!

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

like what  Nort said... yay anti virus

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

Destroying an 8 year old computer. Pretty simple it just starts beeping and nothing happens. And no, not the good beeps. i may have been modding it when it stopped working. Yet I still have a working 13 year old computer. I think I have a computer older than some people on this forums!

Space is pretty awesome.

I was troubleshooting the PC and I inserted a RAM Dimm backwards :blink: . I destroyed one of the two slots on the mobo. The RAM was already dying, so no harm there :)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I can't remember my worst but i remember my last one.I started to install hdd in my laptop and i forget that i don't have screw driver with magnet and it was horrable and very hard to put the screws in without proper screw driver.If 1 screw fail i had to shake my laptop till it drops on the table and start again :D

when i was first getting into computer's i replaced my exhaust fan - backwards , temp went up abit

the only other mistake what wasnt bad was having ram not properly clicked in so it wasnt being recognised

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Buying computer peices every month because i didnt have enough money to buy all at once i thougt i felt static the first time i touched the motherboard kept thinking about it for the 6 months i was putting it together