Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

Apple's live stream

The Verge's live blog

hFBpngn.jpg?2

Victorious Secret and I both covered this. If there are changes or new information on these products I will update this to keep people from spamming separate threads for every little detail

iPad lineup pricing 

57f7795029.jpg

New Mac Lineup

506d6d430c.jpg

Apple Pay

Apple has signed up 500 more banks with Apple pay, and has 3 major credit companies on board and is available on Monday

DSC_0087.jpg

Apple Watch

Apple has created WatchKit for developers to make apps for Apple watch before the product launch in early 2015

DSC_0119.jpg

OSX Yosemite
DSC_0319.jpg
Apple reviews many of the new features shown at WWDC 2014. It is Free and available today 

iPad Air 2 - $499/$599/$699 for 16/64/128GB

It is even thinner

DSC_0412.jpg

Now features a laminated screen with an AR coating

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

A8X chip is 180 times faster than the OG iPad in graphics.

DSC_0432.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

Updated camera which also supports Slow-mo

DSC_0461.jpg

802.11AC with MIMO 

DSC_0498.jpg

Now has Touch ID 

DSC_0502.jpg

Even supports Apple pay for online purchases

DSC_0515.jpg

Pricing 

DSC_0580.jpg

iPad mini 3 - $399/$499/$599 for 16/64/128GB
Still uses an A7 chip instead of an A8  :( unless that is a mistake on Apple's website
DSC_0587.jpg

fca228430e.png

5k iMac starts at $2499
 Retina iMac is coming with a 5K 5120x2880 resolution
DSC_0634.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0648.jpg

up to a 4.0 GHz i7
DSC_0699.jpg

0120cf9a9e.png

up to a M295X
DSC_0704.jpg

ce598252f0.png

DSC_0718.jpg

Full line up
DSC_0728.jpg

Mac mini! - starts at $499
DSC_0733.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

DSC_0739.jpg

image.jpg

DSC_4206_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC_4219_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC_4191_verge_super_wide.jpg

ipad2009_verge_super_wide.jpg

ipad2008_verge_super_wide.jpg

I will handle whatever my dodgy internet allows me to handle today. We both will be following the same theme, so if you don't like orange, well, TOO BAD! 

@Dietrichw if you want to just straight up copy these once I fill them out back into the OP, that would probably be great.

iPad Air 2 - $499/$599/$699 for 16/64/128

PRICING

DSC_0577.jpg

DSC_0597.jpg

We also have TouchID, AC WiFi with MIMO and more LTE bands (20 LTE bands, upwards of 150Mbps)

DSC_0515.jpg

Newer camera and it also gets the slo-mo ability 

DSC_0461.jpg

It carries 180 times the graphics performance of the original iPad, 40% faster (they didn't say if iPhone 6 or iPad Air, just 40%)

DSC_0432.jpg

The LCD, glass and touch sensor are optically bonded, with an AR coating
DSC_0423.jpg

Thats one very thin device, if I may say so, and it comes in gold.

DSC_0399.jpg

It is 6.1mm thick

DSC_0421.jpg

225 million iPads sold.

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

iPad Mini 3 - $529/$629/$729 for 16/64/128

Apple blew right past this one. Only difference is a 5mp camera vs. the 8mp on the iPad Air 2.

DSC_0587.jpg

iPods

Macs

New Mac Mini which starts at 499.

DSC_0733.jpg

R9 graphics with the 3.5 Ghz i5 standard, 4Ghz i7 optional, starts at 2499 and comes with a M290X

DSC_0722.jpg

iMac w/ Retina Display, resolution of 5120x2880

DSC_0634.jpg

5mm thin

DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

Yosemite

It is available TODAY

DSC_0319.jpg

Safari brings about even better efficiency, 2 more hours according to Apple. 

DSC_0211.jpg

iOS 8.1

There will be a public beta for iCloud Photo Library, Camera Roll is coming back, and of course Apple Pay integration. 

It will be available Monday

DSC_0321.jpg

Photos public beta coming with iOS 8.1. First 5GB are free, then fairly cheap pricing for more storage.

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

Watch

WatchKit is app making for the Watch, still listed as Early 2015 launch

DSC_0119.jpg

Apple Pay

Apple has signed on over 500 banks as supporters of Apple Pay, not too shabby at all.

It rolls out on MONDAY

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

Random Info

Cook says its the fastest selling iPhone in history, the most orders in 30 days by a large margin.

It will launch in China in a few hours! Going on all 3 major carriers and ready for the 4G rollout there, they are calling it the biggest iPhone launch ever (no surprise given the Chinese market) 

DSC_0075.jpg

i hope this super early post, reduce the imminent flow of repost, though yesterday where few despite the big news

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i hope this super early post, reduce the imminent flow of repost, though yesterday where few despite the big news

It worked very well last time, there wasn't much reposting at all since there was this verifiable juggernaut of a thread that didn't die down the entire time. 

If it keeps all the discussion in a single place and reduces the nonsense, I'm all for doing this for large events going forward. 

It worked very well last time, there wasn't much reposting at all since there was this verifiable juggernaut of a thread that didn't die down the entire time. 

If it keeps all the discussion in a single place and reduces the nonsense, I'm all for doing this for large events going forward. 

agree, we could have done the same thing yesterday if it didn't come a surprise, google literally opened the floodgates when no one was looking

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Could be interesting but I'm not holding my breath, maybe we will get a new Beatles album for free......

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Well they already beefed up OpenGL performance in the Yosemite beta, but since this isn't the developer conference I doubt they'll go into any details of OpenGL or OpenCL benefits and if there are any new big features.

Fingers crossed though. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Could be interesting but I'm not holding my breath, maybe we will get a new Beatles album for free......

People would still bitch about it. It would taint their hipster curated music collection. 

People would still bitch about it. It would taint their hipster curated music collection.

lol! hipsters love free stuff, but they also want to choose what they get. Guess theyve never heard of the saying beggers cant be choosers

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Alright, here we (almost) go. 

Hopefully they go rapid fire through hardware like last time, made for a far more interesting event thats for sure. 

Alright, here we (almost) go. 

Hopefully they go rapid fire through hardware like last time, made for a far more interesting event thats for sure. 

it was interesting as my fingers were about to fall off trying to keep up

since we are talking apple, i been wondering what happened if apple released OSX to everyone that isn't using a mac but for a fee, like 30$ and you get to put OSX on any machine you want, probably a crazy and stupid idea, but i have got stuck this in my head for quite some time

since we are talking apple, i been wondering what happened if apple released OSX to everyone that isn't using a mac but for a fee, like 30$ and you get to put OSX on any machine you want, probably a crazy and stupid idea, but i have got stuck this in my head for quite some time

Honestly, very unlikely. Apple prides itself on having too firm a grip on the hardware they use and having software made just for that small selection of hardware. 

It would open Apple up to a whole bunch of "DAE APPLE OSX IS TERRIBAD AND SLOW AND SHIT" and whatever else it is that people even say about Windows on machines that are weakly specced these days. 

that would never happen :P plus, it would mess up a lot of things people love about osx

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Honestly, very unlikely. Apple prides itself on having too firm a grip on the hardware they use and having software made just for that small selection of hardware. 

It would open Apple up to a whole bunch of "DAE APPLE OSX IS TERRIBAD AND SLOW AND SHIT" and whatever else it is that people even say about Windows on machines that are weakly specced these days. 

ik is likely the last thing apple could do, was just a though i shared and for your last statement, well i suspect the flames to be much bigger vs windows, my bro runs a mac mini whit 2gb of ram, and it takes its time to respond

Apple store is being updated. Can't configure or 'purchase' anything. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

really, they pulled a comparison against android installs, that bit low for something that its dealt very different

The increased battery life is something I really am looking forward to. 

Chrome shit the bed on my laptop, Safari has really held in well giving my 6+ hours of continuous use, doing browsing + streaming just like I'm doing this today. 

they just roiled out a bunch of stuff at the same time, wonder if the servers won't go kaput now

Apple didn't learn anything... iPad Air 2 - even thinner now with the same stupidly low battery capacity as ever.

144Hz goodness

and they keep prompting the ipad camera as a DSLR replacement -__-

i love how they always compare to the original and not last years model

Apple didn't learn anything... iPad Air 2 - even thinner now with the same stupidly low battery capacity as ever.

I need to know how they are measuring batteries now. 

My iPad 4 was rated to 10 hours. So is this a new test? Or a capacity decrease? Or what the hell is going on. 

500$ for 16gb, demn wallet rape on storage doe

and the ipad mini is more expensive 0_o nvm typo

HOLY SHIT 5k display imac, that really surprised me

The new iMac with retina display has a 5K resolution <3

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |