Rate the Photo Above you

On 10/22/2016 at 2:00 PM, Mihle Gaming said:

I do not have much experience with photography at all and what makes a picture good, but here is my opinion:
I think it is nice how the statue is somewhat hidden in the leaves. It should possibly have been little bit less dark. And my "heart" kind of thinks that something in the right of the image could have been better, without me knowing what.

This will be the first of my images I post online: (I am a noob and 99% of my images is crap)
I have no idea if it good or not or if what could have made it better.

30492521735_0c68eabb81_k.jpgBuckingham Palace Guards on Horseback by Mihle IRL, on Flickr

Don't be so hard on yourself man! This is a great picture. 

My only critique would be to tilt down a little bit. The phrase to remember is "fill the frame" all the action is going on with the horses and not the out of focus tress in the background.

I took this at an Indiana State University football game. This was shot with a Canon 70-200mm F4 on a Canon 70D and edited in adobe lightroom.

star-1.jpg

53 minutes ago, mama_fluxus said:

*snip*

Probably should have done, that image has less trees than it had before I did crop it away :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 10/24/2016 at 2:37 PM, mama_fluxus said:

Don't be so hard on yourself man! This is a great picture. 

My only critique would be to tilt down a little bit. The phrase to remember is "fill the frame" all the action is going on with the horses and not the out of focus tress in the background.

I took this at an Indiana State University football game. This was shot with a Canon 70-200mm F4 on a Canon 70D and edited in adobe lightroom.

star-1.jpg

Nice clear sharp photo. Good colors too! 9/10

I've started shooting in raw!

IMG_3289.jpg

On 10/27/2016 at 4:42 PM, beach_boy98 said:

Great looking image. Good depth of field and cool lighting. Here's my shot.

Link. (couldn't work out how to embed)

Nice ice cream. I think it could have come out better if you had more colorful background (bright green grass comes to mind). Now it looks a bit dark and grey and not that appealing. Looks like you are in shade, I wonder how it would look like in direct sunlight. Also the peoples feed at the right could have been left out of the frame.

This is not so great of an image (also the stacking is half-baked), but I'm testing macro with reversed lens setup. I bought some cheap adapter rings on ebay from China to play around :D

Macro.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Just a reminder to everyone of the rules of this thread:

On 5/19/2013 at 6:29 PM, Blade of Grass said:

Hey guys!

I thought I'd show the photography section some more love, and maybe try to get it more active.

So I have a little game, I'll start it off. Basically, you're going to rate the person above you's photo, and then post you own to be rated.

Rules:

•  

• ONLY constructive criticism allowed
  • No retaliation ratings, if someone gives your photo a low score, you are NOT allowed to give them a poor rating to 'get back' at them
  • No OT posts, please stick to the rating-photo posts only, if you see a post that doesn't follow the rules, ignore it and move on
  • Photos can be rated on a 1-10 scale, or can be verbal ratings
  • Photos must be your own
  • Please no larger than 800 pixels wide
  • Skip OT posts and rate the photos above them
  • Have fun!

To start us off:

-original photo removed, available upon request-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 10/30/2016 at 1:12 AM, Tam3n said:

Nice ice cream. I think it could have come out better if you had more colorful background (bright green grass comes to mind). Now it looks a bit dark and grey and not that appealing. Looks like you are in shade, I wonder how it would look like in direct sunlight. Also the peoples feed at the right could have been left out of the frame.

This is not so great of an image (also the stacking is half-baked), but I'm testing macro with reversed lens setup. I bought some cheap adapter rings on ebay from China to play around :D

Macro.jpg

Eh 5/10. Great detail and focus , but I think it's a bit exposed to make it interesting. Just my opinion :D

20161028_174548.jpg

This is from my weekend in Tucson (the armpit of Arizona) taken on my gs6. Unfortunately didn't have my t5 with me. 

ASU

On 1.11.2016 at 9:06 PM, Hackentosher said:

Eh 5/10. Great detail and focus , but I think it's a bit exposed to make it interesting. Just my opinion :D

20161028_174548.jpg

This is from my weekend in Tucson (the armpit of Arizona) taken on my gs6. Unfortunately didn't have my t5 with me. 

What did you try to take image of? I am guessing the sky, but my eyes is more dragged to the street light, and is distracting. 

If that street light was meant to be the object, I dont think its the best in that situation. having the silhouette of a object/person in a bright background may be great if the object fits, street light does not :D

4/10

And now my picture, its another picture from when I was in London.

30149833764_0fb18e1189_k.jpgLondon Eye at Night by Mihle Photography, on Flickr

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

7 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

What did you try to take image of? I am guessing the sky, but my eyes is more dragged to the street light, and is distracting. 

If that street light was meant to be the object, I dont think its the best in that situation. having the silhouette of a object/person in a bright background may be great if the object fits, street light does not :D

4/10

And now my picture, its another picture from when I was in London.

30149833764_0fb18e1189_k.jpgLondon Eye at Night by Mihle Photography, on Flickr

I was going for more of an artistic approach with my shot, nothing is really the focus. Like your photo here. I like this shot, although the ISO looks a little high for my taste making the sky and other things a little noisy. That being said, I like the vibrance of all the colors. 6.5/10

This guy is from a church in Ljubljana. F4.5, 1/100, ISO 1600.

IMG_2805.JPG

ASU

10 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

*Snip*

I dont quite know what you mean? High ISO? my picture was shot at ISO 100, literally cant be lower. Just saying :P

If you mean those red dots and that small line in the sky, thats planes and stuff. could not do much about that, except taking the picture one more time, but as I didnt see it on the camera screen, so could not do anything about that :)

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

I dont quite know what you mean? High ISO? my picture was shot at ISO 100, literally cant be lower. Just saying :P

If you mean those red dots and that small line in the sky, thats planes and stuff. could not do much about that, except taking the picture one more time, but as I didnt see it on the camera screen, so could not do anything about that :)

well shit, nevermind xD 

ASU

On 5-11-2016 at 0:43 AM, Hackentosher said:

I was going for more of an artistic approach with my shot, nothing is really the focus. Like your photo here. I like this shot, although the ISO looks a little high for my taste making the sky and other things a little noisy. That being said, I like the vibrance of all the colors. 6.5/10

This guy is from a church in Ljubljana. F4.5, 1/100, ISO 1600.

-snip-

nice general overview of the church, but still 7/10 since I'm not able to define any subject with specific focus, incase it's the church as a whole, I find the shot to tight, although the colours are very nice and the light from the windows is not to bright.

Last night the (not so super) moon was nice and bright, I got a temporary window where the clouds would open up, after some work I managed to get the right settings for the first time with night photography.
30985751945_8bb622fe7e_c.jpg
Full moon by thommy saltzherr, on Flickr

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

21 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

nice general overview of the church, but still 7/10 since I'm not able to define any subject with specific focus, incase it's the church as a whole, I find the shot to tight, although the colours are very nice and the light from the windows is not to bright.

Last night the (not so super) moon was nice and bright, I got a temporary window where the clouds would open up, after some work I managed to get the right settings for the first time with night photography.

I'm curious about two things:

• What focal length?
  • How did you manage to get the clouds light enough without totally blowing out the moon itself?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

35 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm curious about two things:

• What focal length?
  • How did you manage to get the clouds light enough without totally blowing out the moon itself?

200mm on a 1200D(crop)
In lightroom I slightly increased exposure, contrast, shadows and the whites, while decreasing in the highlights and blacks. combined with a maxed out Clarity(but that is mostly to get the moon sharp) but I must say that the clouds where within the moon's halo already, but not visible at all. owh and lens corrections turned off for this occasion.
I can sent more info in PM if you want too.

6 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

200mm on a 1200D(crop)
In lightroom I slightly increased exposure, contrast, shadows and the whites, while decreasing in the highlights and blacks. combined with a maxed out Clarity(but that is mostly to get the moon sharp) but I must say that the clouds where within the moon's halo already, but not visible at all. owh and lens corrections turned off for this occasion.

Interesting.  No, that's enough :P  Yeah I've done editing like that too, I'm just surprised it managed to pick up the full range within one shot; that's always the trick isn't it? :D 

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

30985751945_8bb622fe7e_c.jpg

Nice especially cool cause it is just the moon.

Little Valentine.jpg

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting.  No, that's enough :P  Yeah I've done editing like that too, I'm just surprised it managed to pick up the full range within one shot; that's always the trick isn't it? :D 

yes it is, although due to the nature of night photography it could also be the additional changes in the camera's colour profile I made(which I just thought off), using a custom one, which only allows minimal post editing, which can be annoying, but also(like this case) an helpful thing, in the end it's all about creating a work flow that you like and can properly work with easily.

8/10. Very clear and detailed shot. Love the reflection in the bottom right.

Here's mine, taken on my phone (Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (UK Phone))

IMG_20160402_122037.jpg

On 11/26/2016 at 2:18 PM, James_Alfie_Photography said:

8/10. Very clear and detailed shot. Love the reflection in the bottom right.

Here's mine, taken on my phone (Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (UK Phone))

IMG_20160402_122037.jpg

7/10, Especially for a phone :D It would have been really cool to get a close up action shot of that seal jumping!

Here's mine; it was taken with a Canon Rebel t5. I had to climb my roof to get a good angle :) Edited with lightroom as well.

IMG_69.jpg

8/10. The color contrast is great and I like it, but I am not the fan of dark pictures. Other than that, it's good!

DSC_0481.jpg

9/10, would like to seem some more contrast between the car and the environment, otherwise very good.

Here's mine: Shot on iPhone 6S, edited in Lightroom for iPhone.

IMG_2377.jpg

6/10 i like the feel and look of the image, the clouds look amazing - But i feel it needs some work.

The photo should be cropped in a different way imo. and you should be closer to the other cars.
Reflection in the windshield is unfortunate.
The colors doesnt really pop, especially in the sky.

Urania Observatory in Aalborg, Denmark - Shot on Sony A6000 18-50 kit lens.

a.jpg

8/10 I'm not really a photographer but the contrast looks really good. What's not good about the photo is the noise on the bottom right in the area around the edge of the building.

This photo is from a sand sculpting event. It was shot on my NX300 with a 35-70 FD lens at f/5.6, 1/1000 sec., and iso 200.

SAM_5539.JPG

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4