Rate the Photo Above you

On 14.9.2016 at 2:41 AM, mark_p8 said:

The photo above. At my first glance, I thought it was shot using a ultra-wide lens. I like black and white photos. 10/10

Flower at our office.

This photo reminds me of this album cover: 

Spoiler

flume-skin.jpg

I like the vibrant colors and the strong contrast to the background :)

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

P3060357.JPG

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

On 9/16/2016 at 10:53 AM, adams said:

P3060357.JPG

He/she looks so comfortable! The picture has nice warm tones. Framing is also good. Not the sharpest picture though.

My dad got an old Zenit FS-12 film camera gear. It includes an old 300 mm Russian lens, also called photosniper with gun stock fitting. I bought a cheap Chinese M42 to Sony E adapter for fun on ebay. It can actually produce some nice teleshots (450 mm equivalent on my APS-C) and is fun to use. I then bought old Paragon MC M42 2x teleconverter for 1£, also on ebay.

I have taken shots of the moon without the teleconverter in the mix, but with it I was able to take even better images. With stack processing and stuff applied, one of the results I got is this:

AS2_1_AS_p25_g4_ap3889_waved_ps.jpg

I'm going to get some solar filter film to try and take images of the sun next...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

I have to say I would give the photo of the moon a 10/10. But I know little to nothing about photography. Plus add in the fact I dig astronomy photos. 

That all said, I took a photo with my iPhone 6s+. I know it's not the best but I was at the local drive-in theater and didn't have my new D3300 with me. The view moved me. A friend had just been giving me a few tips & as I shot this I recalled him mentioning the "rule of thirds" though I think I understand it I took the shot & now posting it here for criticism.IMG_0436.JPG

7 hours ago, Tam3n said:

*snip*

so that's with a 900 mm (equiv) basically?  Interesting.  We have a 12" dobsonian telescope that we can attach the camera to, and actually I'm not sure what it counts as in that situation, when it's basically acting as a lens, but it is supposedly a 1500 mm scope...

Anyway, I was able to get this picture on the first night experimenting with it.  I know it's quite poor, but the sky was really bad that night so it was hurting the sharpness a lot.  I'm expecting (and hoping) that I can get something really amazing on a good night :D 

PS, this was cropped and rotated, in case anyone is wondering

DSC_0414-2.jpg

2 hours ago, Tork said:

*snip*

The sky is fantastic, but I feel like it's let down by the foreground, since it's dark and totally uninteresting.  If it had been lit up in a really cool way, that would have made it much better I think :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

so that's with a 900 mm (equiv) basically?  Interesting.  We have a 12" dobsonian telescope that we can attach the camera to, and actually I'm not sure what it counts as in that situation, when it's basically acting as a lens, but it is supposedly a 1500 mm scope...

Anyway, I was able to get this picture on the first night experimenting with it.  I know it's quite poor, but the sky was really bad that night so it was hurting the sharpness a lot.  I'm expecting (and hoping) that I can get something really amazing on a good night :D 

PS, this was cropped and rotated, in case anyone is wondering

DSC_0414-2.jpg

The sky is fantastic, but I feel like it's let down by the foreground, since it's dark and totally uninteresting.  If it had been lit up in a really cool way, that would have made it much better I think :)

Yeah it's 900 mm equivalent with the 2x teleconverter. The pic is also cropped, so the picture looks like ~4000/1440 * 900 mm = ~2500 mm equivalent. I'm not really expert, since this was my first try with this setup, but viewing didn't seem to be very good with a lot of turbulence. I'll try again in the winter, if it gets any better. The sharpness of the old lens (it has just three elements :D) and the converter isn't anything amazing, but it's good for what it is.

Is that a single shot or stacked?

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

On 9/15/2016 at 2:27 AM, PCBjon said:

Photo above: Nice flowers always a great subject to learn use of different lighting techniques, But the colours seem a little off to me maybe adjust the blues slightly and also the two stems on the right of the image are abit distracting. Would love to see more height to the flowers.

Was this taken outside or against a backdrop?

I'm just sitting at the office lounge when I saw the flowers so I just took a quick picture. The lights are only florescent light. The backdrop is actually just a cabinet behind the flower.

How can I improve my colors? Because my camera's LCD and my computer's LCD produce different colors. Not big difference but enough to make mistake.

I currently play PUBG, help me get chicken dinner xD

5 hours ago, Tam3n said:

Yeah it's 900 mm equivalent with the 2x teleconverter. The pic is also cropped, so the picture looks like ~4000/1440 * 900 mm = ~2500 mm equivalent. I'm not really expert, since this was my first try with this setup, but viewing didn't seem to be very good with a lot of turbulence. I'll try again in the winter, if it gets any better. The sharpness of the old lens (it has just three elements :D) and the converter isn't anything amazing, but it's good for what it is.

Is that a single shot or stacked?

This is a single shot.  Base ISO (100), 1/100 or 1/125, around there, and aperture is N/A because no lens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

23 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

snip

As an aerospace engineering student, I come across one or the other astronomy image and the moon is probably the most photographed body ever. As a photographer however, I enjoy the technical execution of this very much, especially the use of a telescope. Will you get the chance to build this up on a mountain in order to reduce the impact of the atmosphere?

This image shows a merry-go-round at a local fun fair, taken at night with long exposure obviously.

KkRTMk3.jpg

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is a single shot.  Base ISO (100), 1/100 or 1/125, around there, and aperture is N/A because no lens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D 

Nice quality! My shots are much more blurry, but I guess it is to be expected. You should try stacking at some point. How is the camera attached to the scope and do you use an eye piece?

3 minutes ago, Tam3n said:

Nice quality! My shots are much more blurry, but I guess it is to be expected. You should try stacking at some point. How is the camera attached to the scope and do you use an eye piece?

Nope, we just bolt it right on :P (well, not literally... it can be removed of course)

I know stacking can reduce noise but since this is already at ISO 100, I'm not sure it's necessary.  I know (supposedly) you can also stack for higher resolution but I've never seen an example that proved it can actually work, nor have I been able to accomplish it myself xD 

Still, if we get out on a good night, I may as well take lots ;)

15 minutes ago, Tataffe said:

As an aerospace engineering student, I come across one or the other astronomy image and the moon is probably the most photographed body ever. As a photographer however, I enjoy the technical execution of this very much, especially the use of a telescope. Will you get the chance to build this up on a mountain in order to reduce the impact of the atmosphere?

I very much doubt we'll ever be up on a mountain with it, but there is a website where you can check various sky conditions, like temperature, humidity, cloud, transparency, seeing, etc. and, while that was not taken on a good night, we're still waiting for one to come around :P   And we're ~1000 m  above sea level here as it is anyway, which should help :) 

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Nope, we just bolt it right on :P (well, not literally... it can be removed of course)

I know stacking can reduce noise but since this is already at ISO 100, I'm not sure it's necessary.  I know (supposedly) you can also stack for higher resolution but I've never seen an example that proved it can actually work, nor have I been able to accomplish it myself xD 

Still, if we get out on a good night, I may as well take lots ;)

I very much doubt we'll ever be up on a mountain with it, but there is a website where you can check various sky conditions, like temperature, humidity, cloud, transparency, seeing, etc. and, while that was not taken on a good night, we're still waiting for one to come around :P   And we're ~1000 m  above sea level here as it is anyway, which should help :) 

Stacking works also by selecting the best parts of the best images (so called lucky imaging). It both reduces noise and increases resolution combined with wavelet processing. Software called Autostakkert and Registax are most used for this.

12 minutes ago, Tam3n said:

Stacking works also by selecting the best parts of the best images (so called lucky imaging). It both reduces noise and increases resolution combined with wavelet processing. Software called Autostakkert and Registax are most used for this.

I suppose I could also use it to try and improve sharpness by taking the best from each image, :) even focusing differently to see if I can get it better (oh yeah, did I mention we have to focus manually with a very coarse nob?)

54 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I suppose I could also use it to try and improve sharpness by taking the best from each image, :) even focusing differently to see if I can get it better (oh yeah, did I mention we have to focus manually with a very coarse nob?)

Well I can assure you this thing must not be much easier to use :D Also the chromatic aberrations of this lens are not of any help when trying to judge focus. (this image is not meant for rating in this thread).

20160728_162247(0).jpg

8 hours ago, Tataffe said:

This image shows a merry-go-round at a local fun fair, taken at night with long exposure obviously.

9/10 I really like the picture, but I think you could've moved to a different position and got a shot without stuff in front of it.

20160916-DSC_0044.jpg

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Took this one at the Notre Dame v. Michigan State game. From Section 10 Row 38 with a Nikon D7000 and an 18-105 on the front of it. 

DSC_2748.NEF

3 hours ago, dobo2001 said:

Took this one at the Notre Dame v. Michigan State game. From Section 10 Row 38 with a Nikon D7000 and an 18-105 on the front of it. 

DSC_2748.NEF

You wouldn't hang your negatives in a gallery ;) Give us a jpg please :) 

19 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You wouldn't hang your negatives in a gallery ;) Give us a jpg please :) 

Sorry about that. Here it is again.

DSC_2748.jpg

1 hour ago, dobo2001 said:

Sorry about that. Here it is again.

Since you captured that photo in a camera RAW format, why not process it in LR or Photoshop or any other photo editing software that supports RAW before you post it.  I'd clean up a bit of the noise, level the image,  and perhaps brighten it up a bit as the first few things I'd do.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

25 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Since you captured that photo in a camera RAW format, why not process it in LR or Photoshop or any other photo editing software that supports RAW before you post it.  I'd clean up a bit of the noise, level the image,  and perhaps brighten it up a bit as the first few things I'd do.

Third time's the charm (This time with some straightening and editing). The noise is high because I had to do I high ISO to counteract the high shutter speed and aperture since I was fully zoomed in at f5.6 and the high shutter speed to freeze the motion

DSC_2748.jpg

On 9/20/2016 at 2:26 PM, dobo2001 said:

Third time's the charm (This time with some straightening and editing). The noise is high because I had to do I high ISO to counteract the high shutter speed and aperture since I was fully zoomed in at f5.6 and the high shutter speed to freeze the motion

I like the action, but I think I would have like a tighter shot/crop on the players and crowd.  8/10

My shot...  Tree covered in moss (?).  Shot on Kodak Portra 400

Cultas2016film-X2.jpg

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

9 hours ago, Silvercall said:

I like the action, but I think I would have like a tighter shot/crop on the players and crowd.  8/10

My shot...  Tree covered in moss (?).  Shot on Kodak Portra 400

9/10 I like the vantage point.

Here is a pathetic non professional photo of a quad core laptop cpu from ten years ago.

IMG_20160920_121005.jpg

Had some trouble with the shiny silicon, my phone focuses on ANYTHING it can in the  background, and it kept focusing on the roof of the warehouse instead of the CPU -_-

This was the 7th attempt.