Rate the Photo Above you

On 7/29/2023 at 4:41 AM, GDRRiley said:

beautiful shot I wish I had time this summer to get out and explore.

I really hate the lights here, I think its sodium instead of LEDs. These trains were both late after a number of signaling and crossing gate issues delayed them
Fuji X-S10 Sigma 30mm 1.4@ F3.2 1/100 iso10000
GR102217E.thumb.jpg.0148d08e8516fa29bd0240bd165caed4.jpg

It feels nostalgic. 9/10! 

I like computers. And watching them blow up while playing GTA 5. Remember to update to Windows 11! 😁 

Forum Member

Spoiler

Brroooooo spiders are the only web developers that enjoy finding bugs.

Forum Member Definition:

A person who participates on an internet forum. Also called a forumite. So why does the word forumite remind me of a species of mites?

• 1 month later...

Love the Blues and Reds here. Think it would benefit from having the top (half broken) light cropped out.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:41 AM, GDRRiley said:

beautiful shot I wish I had time this summer to get out and explore.

I really hate the lights here, I think its sodium instead of LEDs. These trains were both late after a number of signaling and crossing gate issues delayed them
Fuji X-S10 Sigma 30mm 1.4@ F3.2 1/100 iso10000
GR102217E.thumb.jpg.0148d08e8516fa29bd0240bd165caed4.jpg

Attached photos are mine, taken portrait on google pixel 6 pro, no editing other than square crop.
Burger Night! A Blackened & Bleu Burger on butter toasted homemade buns with gorgonzola & caramelized onions. 
Served with Hot paprika & Garlic seasoned roasted red skin potatoes.
Pickles freshly made, but too warm to enjoy tonight.

PXL_20230916_024854931.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230916_024742487.PORTRAIT.jpg

On 9/16/2023 at 12:58 AM, ChefJayTay said:

Love the Blues and Reds here. Think it would benefit from having the top (half broken) light cropped out.

Attached photos are mine, taken portrait on google pixel 6 pro, no editing other than square crop.
Burger Night! A Blackened & Bleu Burger on butter toasted homemade buns with gorgonzola & caramelized onions. 

10/10 because that looks FANTASTIC holy cow. I gotta know what restaurant this is if it's from a restaurant.

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2023 at 5:19 AM, Dillpickle23422 said:

10/10 because that looks FANTASTIC holy cow. I gotta know what restaurant this is if it's from a restaurant.

Homemade... buns from scratch. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 12:58 AM, ChefJayTay said:

Well I’m going out to get burgers tonight, though they shall no doubt disappoint in comparison. The shots looks amazing, if I had to find any criticism at all I’d say the second shot feels…I don’t know, maybe a little busy? Like the potatoes are center frame and look delicious, but the one burger with the bun half off and the other just sitting there…eh, if it’s anything it’s not much, I still wanna chow down!!

my shot taken in the okavango delta, EOS R5 with a 600mm F4 and had to crop down some.  Just insanely lucky for the confluence of events, never trade luck for skill people…

3P3A6534.jpeg

On 10/25/2023 at 4:13 PM, Vilacom said:

my shot taken in the okavango delta, EOS R5 with a 600mm F4 and had to crop down some.  Just insanely lucky for the confluence of events, never trade luck for skill people…

I love how the look the lion is giving is roughly the same as a housecat when you dangle a stuffed bird in front of it.  You know it's got that internal monologue going "I will get me one of them some day" 🙂

I didn't technically take the photo I am attaching but my Grandfather did.  He served as an MP in the Army prior to and including WWII.  He took a bunch of photo's on medium format film and I got the negatives recently to start scanning them to help preserve the images.  I have around 300 photos taken in New York and New Jersey between 1936-1942 (roughly). img0048.thumb.jpg.51ae54f1e3a6bd76a0d61ad64dd35e81.jpg

Another historic photo.  I'm fairly sure this is the last photo taken of my grandfather before he shipped to Europe for WWII.  Sorry for the massive size of this scan, I ran it at 1200dpi and I shrank this to 50% scale before uploading.  The original photo was almost 8x20 inches so the finished full rez raw scan was 23,868x9,348 pixels (61.3MB).  He wrote down the names of every person on the back of it and has it notated as "35th M.P. Platoon, Camp Rucker Alabama, November 11, 1943"  Camp Rucker is currently called Fort Novosel, AL.  He is second row from the back, seventh from the right.

img0351.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 11:02 PM, vf1000ride said:

Another historic photo.  I'm fairly sure this is the last photo taken of my grandfather before he shipped to Europe for WWII.  Sorry for the massive size of this scan, I ran it at 1200dpi and I shrank this to 50% scale before uploading.  The original photo was almost 8x20 inches so the finished full rez raw scan was 23,868x9,348 pixels (61.3MB).  He wrote down the names of every person on the back of it and has it notated as "35th M.P. Platoon, Camp Rucker Alabama, November 11, 1943"  Camp Rucker is currently called Fort Novosel, AL.  He is second row from the back, seventh from the right.

img0351.jpg

The most important photos are ones that stir an emotional memory, or document an important event. This one does both. Your grandfather did a fine job documenting this moment and team. It makes me wonder how many saw the times of peace afterwards.

My contribution shows none of that. It is just a shot that makes me remember another day out shooting whatever I see. Instead of being in print like your shot, it will remain in the digital world and be forgotten amongst trillions of other online and thousands of others on my hard drive.

A55A9488-Edit-Edit-2.thumb.jpeg.07336b90f12f0ac02922f4dcc99f2599.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

The most important photos are ones that stir an emotional memory, or document an important event. This one does both. Your grandfather did a fine job documenting this moment and team. It makes me wonder how many saw the times of peace afterwards.

My contribution shows none of that. It is just a shot that makes me remember another day out shooting whatever I see. Instead of being in print like your shot, it will remain in the digital world and be forgotten amongst trillions of other online and thousands of others on my hard drive.

A55A9488-Edit-Edit-2.thumb.jpeg.07336b90f12f0ac02922f4dcc99f2599.jpeg

I really like the composition of this, what a fantastic capture with the rainbow.

B4F9F92C-D21A-4114-9BC8-9259A9FF449F.thumb.jpeg.4284ecff2d8ef33dc29b00f873b9726b.jpeg

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2023 at 4:03 PM, mopman94 said:

I really like the composition of this, what a fantastic capture with the rainbow.

B4F9F92C-D21A-4114-9BC8-9259A9FF449F.thumb.jpeg.4284ecff2d8ef33dc29b00f873b9726b.jpeg

Great street photo capturing the various aspects of daily life in the city. I like the tram, the people walking across the street, the tall buildings and wires criss-crossing throughout the top half of the image. The faded colors work well here. Well done.

My addition is as follows - caught a sail boat and a prop plane (way in the background) during the evening sun in the Florida Keys. Taken with a Sony A1 + 70-200 GM @ 200mm, 1/3200, f/2.8. Cheers!

West Coast-14.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thailand , chiang mai , Samsung S7 Edge , old images , leaf + river

coconut image , iphonex

London image iphone 13 ,

photo_2024-01-29_13-03-44.jpg

photo_2024-01-29_13-03-47.jpg

photo_2024-01-29_13-03-50.jpg

photo_2024-01-29_13-03-53.jpg

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 5:06 AM, PSP. said:

Thailand , chiang mai , Samsung S7 Edge , old images , leaf + river

coconut image , iphonex

London image iphone 13 ,

~Snipped Photo~

I really love the coconut photo. I think the composition was well thought out with the heart in the background. On a side note, those Caramel Millionaire "Digestives" sounds more like a laxative than milk chocolate caramel. 

From a couple years ago at an air show got me coming back to these photos after the latest Apple TV+ WW2 miniseries, Masters of the Air

Taken with a Canon 5DSr at ISO 320, f/16, 1/320 second. 

3B6A0607.thumb.JPG.50abef720b0fabc311dbbc57f36eaea0.JPG

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I love the old warbirds.  You got a great capture of the B-17.  Amazingly enough I have an interesting photo I took of that same aircraft at an airshow a bunch of years ago, mid to late 1990's timeframe.  Unfortunately I have lost the info about what my camera settings were but I shot this one with a 35mm Canon QL19 Canonet point and shoot that was made in the 1960's or 70's.  I took the picture out the Pilots side window.

img0132.jpg

50 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

I love the old warbirds.  You got a great capture of the B-17. 

Thank you very much!!! 

One thing I'm trying to work on is my tracking parallel to whatever object (be a plane/helicopter/bird) be smooth and not jumpy to cause blurriness on edges; especially more so for anything moving like propellers to get a spin effect in the photo. I'd be taking hundreds of shots and maybe 10 or less are usable due to this. Its mainly when an object further away moves slowly toward you that it then appears to get faster and faster before getting slower as it moves further away (think of it like watching a car come down the road towards you when you are on the sidewalk). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

36 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Thank you very much!!! 

One thing I'm trying to work on is my tracking parallel to whatever object (be a plane/helicopter/bird) be smooth and not jumpy to cause blurriness on edges; especially more so for anything moving like propellers to get a spin effect in the photo. I'd be taking hundreds of shots and maybe 10 or less are usable due to this. Its mainly when an object further away moves slowly toward you that it then appears to get faster and faster before getting slower as it moves further away (think of it like watching a car come down the road towards you when you are on the sidewalk). 

Not sure if you had tried it yet, but for airshows and higher speed objects that I am panning and moving to get the shot, I make sure to turn off the image stabilizer (IS) on my lens.  For stationary subjects the IS takes your hand/body motion out of the lens and helps get a clearer image.  When both you and the subject are moving the IS can actually add more motion to your shot and will give you blurry edges as it causes the image to pause and then jump forward as it tries to freeze the motion again when it gets to the end of its range.  When you are running a slow shutter speeds, that jump can happen while the shutter is open and will guaranty a blurry image.   Another cheat I use is I normally carry a lightweight monopod when I shoot at airshows, even a lightweight selfie stick would work.  I don't extend it to ground length but usually only to about waist level and I hold the end of it with my outstretched arm.  It allows you to support some of the camera weight for longer without fatigue but also allows you to stabilize the camera better while you can still turn your body at the waist to take the shots.  Small wiggles with your hand and fingers at waist level are going to make for much less camera shake than if you are holding the body directly.  If you still wanted both hands on the camera/lens they make a belt pocket/pouch thing that you can put the end of the monopod in so you are supporting it on your waist but have both hands free to run the camera. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=monopod+waist+pouch&crid=4R2GMWEQMD8&sprefix=monopod+waist+pouch%2Caps%2C89&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I took this one last year of Fat Albert with my Canon T1i and a mid tier EF 28-135USM lens.  ISO-200, f/8, 1/400 so I didn't get great prop blur I knew they were only going to make 1 or 2 passes and didn't want to miss a good closeup shot.  Another trick I found that works for my gear at least is to not run the zoom all the way to the stops on my lens.  When I zoom in I run it to the stop and then back it off ever so slightly and I seem to get better focus from my lens.  The meta data says I shot this at 115mm.

IMG_8976.JPG

24 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

Not sure if you had tried it yet, but for airshows and higher speed objects that I am panning and moving to get the shot, I make sure to turn off the image stabilizer (IS) on my lens.  For stationary subjects the IS takes your hand/body motion out of the lens and helps get a clearer image.  When both you and the subject are moving the IS can actually add more motion to your shot and will give you blurry edges as it causes the image to pause and then jump forward as it tries to freeze the motion again when it gets to the end of its range.  When you are running a slow shutter speeds, that jump can happen while the shutter is open and will guaranty a blurry image.   Another cheat I use is I normally carry a lightweight monopod when I shoot at airshows, even a lightweight selfie stick would work.  I don't extend it to ground length but usually only to about waist level and I hold the end of it with my outstretched arm.  It allows you to support some of the camera weight for longer without fatigue but also allows you to stabilize the camera better while you can still turn your body at the waist to take the shots.  Small wiggles with your hand and fingers at waist level are going to make for much less camera shake than if you are holding the body directly.

Thanks for the tip! I have previously tried using mode 2 on some lens where it's more specific for panning but have had mixed results when compared to mode 1. I'll definitely try out disabling IS and see if it improves. I was thinking about a monopod but I'm pretty lost with all the options out there and which one would be the best for me to use. 

25 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Thanks for the tip! I have previously tried using mode 2 on some lens where it's more specific for panning but have had mixed results when compared to mode 1. I'll definitely try out disabling IS and see if it improves. I was thinking about a monopod but I'm pretty lost with all the options out there and which one would be the best for me to use. 

I have an older carbon fiber Velbon neopod 6 with a fixed 1/4-20 threaded head, no ball or flex head capability.  It's 19inches (48cm) collapsed and 60inches (152cm) at full extension, weighs 20oz.  Has a built in shoulder strap so you can take it off the camera and sling it over your back if you wanted. 

They unfortunately haven't been made in years at this point and I don't know what is current that would be comparable.   

As for practicing, I spent alot of time at motorcycle track days and at motorcycle vintage race events.  The bikes are fast enough to get good blur and at these events there are usually lots of action going on for an entire day.  Stand on the inside of a turn that you can get close to the track.  It helps with your panning but also means that they will stay at roughly the same distance from you through the entire turn.  It allows you to focus on a steady pan and keeping them in frame with less worry about changing focal distances.  Here's one from a few years back at a vintage race event, he was probably going past me in the 65-75mph range and maybe 80 feet away, second image is from google maps with my shooting position/angle.  Same camera and lens as Fat Albert (T1i and 28-135USM) f6.3, 1/400, ISO-100, 105mm.

IMG_4957.JPG

Untitled.jpg

Nice photo, reminds me of my uncle who rides Triumph bikes until they are worthless and gets another one.

Somehow I never shared this photo before here.
Canon SL2 with a 24-105@ 105mm F4 1/1250 ISO200

_MG_9126EC.thumb.JPG.acf9bc28595ec6cfaf5964f4c042b2bf.JPG

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

• 1 month later...

I think that's a really good example of the value of a good foreground, perhaps taken to the extreme, as I think the "foreground" is almost the subject of the photo in that it is the main source of unique contribution, which makes the visual appeal even more unique.

20240316183152.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Cool clouds, cool godrays, not in love for the foreground. Seems to me you have some decent rocky outcrops on the right? I feel like perhaps if the composition was adjusted and you boost the shadows you could have a stunner of a photo. Or maybe lean into the clouds more with a longer lens/tighter crop.

53433527152_41c1f162af_h.jpg