Using multiple Wi-Fi adapters with Windows 11, and they keep sharing "Known networks" please help

Tippman7641

So I'll start by saying I have been googling and deep diving into this issue for the past week.  I have found similar situations to the one I'm in but they remained unanswered.  

So to begin I am a Tech at Ford, our scan tool (the VCM3) can communicate wirelessly with our computers via two DWA-131 Wireless dongles(one in the VCM one in laptop).  I use a MK 2 FZ-55 tough book for a good reason, it sees a ton of abuse in a shop environment.  The Problem I have is the DWA-131 sticks out from the laptop, gets caught on things, and in general can end badly.  So I noted there is a USB-C port in the drive bay, I have modified the blank drive bay to accept a wifi adapter that has a screw on antenna( I attempted this with the DWA-131, but unless the VCM3 is to my left it has a SUPER weak signal, very bad when programming a modern vehicle).  

So to my; "please I'm begging for your help question".  I have gotten a generic wireless NIC to work flawlessly with Ford's software and the VCM.  My issue is the VCM3 isn't always generating the network for the NIC to connect to, as soon as you disconnect the VCM from the vehicle, it looses power and network disappears.  Now on my CF-54 on windows 10, I could tell the second wireless NIC(one for conencting to VCM) to "forget this network" on all networks but the one it connects to the scan tool with.  However, in windows 11, even if i tell the NIC(for the scan tool) to forget all networks except the VCM one, windows 11 adds all the known networks from the primary NIC.  So as soon as I unplug the VCM, the second NIC connects to shop internet.  I have gone through GPO's, local security policy's, registries, .inf files.  I honestly don't know what to do, never had this "pulling information from another NIC automatically"  What I need to happen is to basically set it so that one of my 2 NICs ONLY connect to one SSID, and nothing else.  Now I mentioned "forget this network"  that works for like 20 minutes, then suddenly the main NIC's "known networks" get imported to the USB NIC and it connects to shop internet.  

I will add this doesnt happen with the DWA-131, cant seem to find the setting that gets applied to this thing to prevent it from connecting to any SSID automatically except the VCM, but the range on this adapter is AWFUL for my desired use 

its like the settings I apply to individual adapters are global only. Whatever I do with one happens to the other 

I attached a photo cause I don't know If I explained it well 

438245472_454007620416855_7045648300352413770_n.jpg

438245639_970659617968858_7266904004076171228_n.jpg

438204514_2394299524096110_4515358828365283806_n.jpg

438221221_7452936408130161_4686864155514389891_n.jpg

11 hours ago, Likwid said:

The first one ends up applying the settings to both adapters with 11. But I’ll try that second one. The big issue seems to be  Windows 11 applies all these different things globally instead of to individual adapters where windows 10 did not do that. Or that setting option doesn’t even exist. 

Like here is a perfect example of a similar situation. However I don’t have “Wireless Networking (IEE 8-2.110)” in my polices. 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1606075/how-to-assign-a-ssid-to-a-specific-wifi-adapter-wh

Screenshot (1).png

1 minute ago, Tippman7641 said:

The first one ends up applying the settings to both adapters with 11. But I’ll try that second one. The big issue seems to be us windwos 11 applies all these different things globally instead of to individual adapters where windows 10 did not do that 

i don't have any ideas as far as fixing your issue on windows 11, but what about going back to windows 10? is that possible for your situation? if it worked fine with 10, and you are able to reinstall windows 10, seems like the easiest workaround to me.

13 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

i don't have any ideas as far as fixing your issue on windows 11, but what about going back to windows 10? is that possible for your situation? if it worked fine with 10, and you are able to reinstall windows 10, seems like the easiest workaround to me.

So on my CF-554 actually hid the DWA-131 dongle in the laptop and soldered an extra antenna wire the laptop had to the antenna of the DWA-131, and yeah it worked insanely well considering how complicated wireless antenna math/operation is.  I have no antennas left on this laptop as it has 4G, GPS, WLAN, and more.  I tried a generic antenna off amazon soldered to the DWA-131, but i guess I got lucky tha that unused antenna on the CF-54 just worked right 

IMG_5897.jpeg

IMG_4709.jpeg

IMG_4717.jpeg

IMG_4712.jpeg

Ok, so the real problem is windows keeps sharing known networks between the two adapters.  I tell one adapter(VCM) to "forget this network" and it works perfectly for a few minutes.  Then suddenly the other network adapter(internet) "forgets" that same network.  I go to the first adapter(internet), re add the network.  Second adapter sits idle, then after a few minutes, it(VCM) connects on its own to the internet.  

So the scan tool software(IDS and VCI manger) add a registry key or some sort of permanent setting to their specified adapter

I tried everything to figure out what kind settings or registry key ford installs that causes their specific adapter to only auto-connect to the VCM, But after looking at tons of registry keys, I haven't had any luck, but to be honest I have no idea what I'm really looking for.   Just wish I could find what this software changes about the WIFI adapter that only allows it to auto connect to one device(even if auto connect is checked for anthoer network, it still wont connect)