Rate the Photo Above you

4/10

A bit flat no focus on anything. Nice picture for "Show off your latest purchase!" though. 

IMG_2427.jpg

6 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I don't think the squarish crop really works, and while the thin DOF does make the knife stand out, perhaps a bit of uneven lighting can improve things.

0/10, what's the point?

Yesterday I purchased a Sony A6500 and found this USB power bank on sale.  I liked the fact that it has the word empowered printed on it in the form of EMPOWE(RED).  While it is actually meant as a campaign for supporting AIDS eradication, I felt it can also be used to make a gender empowering statement.  So took a photo book that I recently purchased as a prop.  (Shot on the new A6500)

empowered.jpg

What a coincidence I have the same book.  Do you do boudoir or nude photography?

sarah.jpg

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

2 hours ago, AbrahamoLincolni said:

What a coincidence I have the same book.  Do you do boudoir or nude photography?

Nice photo.

I've done some boudoir stuff but no nudes yet.  I can't share those photos though.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 18-12-2016 at 6:27 PM, AbrahamoLincolni said:

sarah.jpg

Hmm this is hard to rate for me, since I'm not really into this type of photography due to the usual high amount of photoshop used, judging by the smoothness of the skin I assume that also goes for this shot.
I like the overal shot, lightning and composition wise. However it feels quite soft, especially when looked at the full resolution the details of the model her clothing fall away rather quickly, along with a (for me) rather unpleasantly smooth skin(like mentioned before) I would rate it 6/10 though since it's pretty flawless in the regards of composition and lightning.

my shot.
31088331690_e574440722_k.jpgIMG_6743-2 by thommy saltzherr, on Flickr

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I won't rate pictures anymore

15 hours ago, Bsmith said:

Thanks.  The softness of the photo is due to two factors.  First, a wide aperture was used for the shallow depth of field.  The focus was set to around the eyes.  Second, a dreamy hazy look was created by applying some filters.  To enhance the glow of light through the window.  While a bit of airbrushing was done to make the skin less flawed.  The amount of photoshoping is not really high, compared to what fashion magazine photo editors do.  A similar smoothness of skin or removal of skin blemishes can be achieved using a technique called Frequency Separation.

7/10 on your photo by the way.  The only thing is you seemed to have cropped the lizard underneath too close to the edge on the left side.  It's a good photo of lizards in a terrarium.  Though I would much prefer to see photos of wildlife actually taken in the wild.

My dream is to be able to capture on photo or video stuff like these.

Another boudoir with a different style.

jane.jpg

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

On 12/12/2016 at 10:15 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

1/10

While the composition itself is nice, the moon is taking up only a tiny portion of the composition.  Perhaps you should've cropped out more of the black to make the moon to be more prominent in the frame.

20,000+ feet above sea level (taken a few weeks ago)

11046616226_d6ec7bab40_o.jpg

On my way to do some filming for a documentary and had some nice encounters with underwater life.

A pod of sperm whales

whales.png

A school of barracuda

barracuda.png

A sea turtle

turtle.png

Man you're doing the stuff I dream of doing.

On 19/5/2013 at 9:41 PM, extremescouter said:

I think thats a great photo, and the black and white adds interest to it, more than a color photo of that would. I do more nature photography, but I couldn't really figure out how to attach an image so heres a low quality image of mine:

Blue Bird.jpg

This photo deserves an 8. All the comopose are very well, but the blur in the picture ruins the essence and some problems of colour in the background. This picture is also good.

Good luck with this ;)

On 6/7/2013 at 2:10 AM, AndrewReaganM said:

I don't know much about game photography, but that looks good to me. 8/10

This photo was taken with a Canon EOS Rebel XSi with EF-S 18-55mm IS lens, and slightly edited in Lightroom 5.

IMG_ (3 of 1).jpg

I give you a 5. Is this photo edited seriously?

29 minutes ago, Fernando_Matt said:

I give you a 5. Is this photo edited seriously?

That's quite old...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 hours ago, AbrahamoLincolni said:

7/10 on your photo by the way.  The only thing is you seemed to have cropped the lizard underneath too close to the edge on the left side.  It's a good photo of lizards in a terrarium.  Though I would much prefer to see photos of wildlife actually taken in the wild.

Yeah the crop is a bit close, but it was that or a out of focus branch in the foreground of the shot, so I had to make a trade off and ended up chasing this in order not to break the perspective. I would also prefer to go out in the wild instead of a terrarium shot, but that's rather hard here in the Netherlands.:P just keep the work up and who knows where we might end up with our cameras.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's quite old...

Oh sorry, i'm new in this forum. There is some restriction about rating an old photograph?

2 hours ago, Fernando_Matt said:

Oh sorry, i'm new in this forum. There is some restriction about rating an old photograph?

Well, each one usually rates the one above them so I have a feeling it's been done already :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Heres one my mate took of me in 1952, that tank is the tiger. I

2016-12-18.png

On 12/18/2016 at 6:44 AM, .spider. said:

4/10

A bit flat no focus on anything. Nice picture for "Show off your latest purchase!" though. 

Wow nice work, 9.5/10.  The depth of field is great, how did you setup the bolts for this shot with the ice and everything? I love this shot, good work. 

2016-12-23_11-46-03.jpg

My submission, got up at 5am on a Sunday for this shit and I'm proud of what I came up with. I still had trouble capturing the magnificence I witnessed, but a lot of the shots I got were pretty good. 

ASU

11 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

My submission, got up at 5am on a Sunday for this shit and I'm proud of what I came up with. I still had trouble capturing the magnificence I witnessed, but a lot of the shots I got were pretty good. 

Idk about you but I find sunsets/sunrises hard to capture accurately.  I think it might be something about the sheer intensity and vibrancy of the colours possibly throwing off the auto exposure or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure some pro is reading this and laughing at me right now though :P 

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Idk about you but I find sunsets/sunrises hard to capture accurately.  I think it might be something about the sheer intensity and vibrancy of the colours possibly throwing off the auto exposure or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I shoot full manual, bro. That being said, maybe some of the image processing on my t5 screwed with things.

The actual event was so much more breath taking than the photos I could capture. 

Lmao, probably, where's @ALwin when you need him? :P

ASU

On 12/21/2016 at 11:24 PM, AbrahamoLincolni said:

Another boudoir with a different style.

jane.jpg

9/10, very nice boudoir shot.  Though I get the feeling that the focus is not exactly on her eyes?

On 12/21/2016 at 11:31 PM, AbrahamoLincolni said:

Man you're doing the stuff I dream of doing.

B|

10 hours ago, RedJohn said:

Heres one my mate took of me in 1952, that tank is the tiger. I

2016-12-18.png

Looks like an interesting photo.  8/10 for composition alone.  What camera and film stock was used?

On a side note, I'm letting Jane and Lisbon know you're still alive and kicking. :ph34r: so you better run.

5 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Wow nice work, 9.5/10.  The depth of field is great, how did you setup the bolts for this shot with the ice and everything? I love this shot, good work. 

2016-12-23_11-46-03.jpg

6/10, for effort.  The big problem I see here is the mess on the bottom right quadrant of the photo.  Remember the KISS rule, Keep It Simple Stupid.  Try looking for a better spot next time, perhaps a bit higher up so that you get a higher camera angle, or move around until you get a clean and simple composition.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

xD

4 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

The actual event was so much more breath taking than the photos I could capture.

Yep, that's not easy to do.  Trying to capture the awesomeness of what you see with your eyes onto a still image.  And you're lucky to have sunshine.  Where I live, almost every day is grey, cold and depressing.

Here's a photo of two majestic creatures I had the recent chance to encounter in the wild.  Snow Leopards are my second favorite of the big cats.  Getting this shot made all the hours spent on cramped seats in a plane, driving through rough terrain, hiking up hills with heavy gear and finally sitting and waiting all worth it.

Gazing and Lazing.jpg

What got me hooked on trying to capture photos like these was BBC's Planet Earth series.

The question is, are we happy to suppose that our grandchildren may never be able to see an elephant except in a picture book?

- Sir David Attenborough

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 12/24/2016 at 11:18 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

9/10, very nice boudoir shot.  Though I get the feeling that the focus is not exactly on her eyes?

The focus does seem a bit off, even though the camera indicated it was focusing on her eyes.

On 12/24/2016 at 11:18 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

Here's a photo of two majestic creatures I had the recent chance to encounter in the wild.  Snow Leopards are my second favorite of the big cats.  Getting this shot made all the hours spent on cramped seats in a plane, driving through rough terrain, hiking up hills with heavy gear and finally sitting and waiting all worth it.

Gazing and Lazing.jpg

What got me hooked on trying to capture photos like these was BBC's Planet Earth series.

Amazing photo, simply amazing!  They're beautiful creatures.  I've seen a couple of them in a zoo when I was in Japan.  Where did you take it?  I'm also a fan of Planet Earth.

43 minutes ago, AbrahamoLincolni said:

Amazing photo, simply amazing!  They're beautiful creatures.  I've seen a couple of them in a zoo when I was in Japan.  Where did you take it?  I'm also a fan of Planet Earth.

It was in northern India, a couple of months ago when I was there. I didn't get the time to edit them until now.  These two had taken up residence close to some villages and the local authorities were trying to relocate them.

• 2 weeks later...

I made this photo like a month or so ago, ( only got my first dslr like 2 months ago ) it was my first night out for long exposure photo's and this one is in my opinion one of  the best photos I have taken that night.

I did shoot it in JPEG format and didn't do any post processing

IMG_0179.JPG

Edited by stonedsmurf

7 hours ago, stonedsmurf said:

I made this photo like a month or so ago, ( only got my first dslr like 2 months ago ) it was my first night out for long exposure photo's and this one is in my opinion one of  the best photos I have taken that night.

I did shoot it in JPEG format and didn't do any post processing

Considering its your first time shooting at night you've done a really good job. One thing I would say is to get rid of the orange tint from the road lights, is to change your white balance or edit it in light room (if you want too) it makes the image look better in my opinion.  Here is  a long exposure that ive done in london. IMG_4626.jpg

21 hours ago, Noix said:

Considering its your first time shooting at night you've done a really good job. One thing I would say is to get rid of the orange tint from the road lights, is to change your white balance or edit it in light room (if you want too) it makes the image look better in my opinion.  Here is  a long exposure that ive done in london. IMG_4626.jpg

Great! but one thing, those shadows from humans, personally, I dont think they are quite "enough" to be like a nice part of the picture, but to much to not be like thing in the picture, for me it feels like a distraction in a way. (my opinion others might be different) If I where to give you a score, I would probably say 8,5/10.

I know the sky in this picture is overexposed, but I am posting it anyway:
32063874186_afdc7dbbf2_k.jpgThe Red House by Mihle Photography, on Flickr

(If it doesnt show up use the link or ask me to fix it, I am testing)
https://www.flickr.com/gp/145257438@N02/qJ4472

EDIT: btw, I am a noob photographer, and I know it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

21 hours ago, Noix said:

Considering its your first time shooting at night you've done a really good job. One thing I would say is to get rid of the orange tint from the road lights, is to change your white balance or edit it in light room (if you want too) it makes the image look better in my opinion.  Here is  a long exposure that ive done in london. 

I agree about the shadows of the people.  Personally, I would have gone with several shots rather than one long exposure, since you could then remove the people from each image and layer together a version that has no traces of any of them.