First Person View PC BUILD Guide!

ColinLTT

Linus is taking the reins away from our film team and giving you his own view of building a gaming PC. This is a first person build guide featuring Intel's 9700K CPU will take you step by step through the entire build from scratch.

I won't watch it, but Interesting idea, could be useful for a lot of people.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is super creative and I get that you guys are trying new stuff... but who would realistically watch this? A first-time builder isn't going to find this video with the title, and your long-time fans aren't going to watch past the 1 minute mark because it just isn't interesting other than the gimmick. It boggles my mind that Linus thinks his hosting is causing the declining viewership, when creative energy is being put into stuff like this.

uff the fan cable for the CPU and doing the knot, i do know that it is not something that will break the cable just "then", but it still hurts me.

having worked with electrical parts as an engineer, and IPC620 standards, and with elasticity of metals (copper in this instance) there is a reason why hard bends on cables are not a good thing..

Yes you did not tie it that hard, but this is still educational... and maybe remounting this fan a couple of times and retie the knot will end up breaking cores in that cable, and it will loose its capability to actually deliver power, and Noctua fans are NOT cheap.

It is a detail. but elasticity and moving beyond the area where material can reform, and ends up deforming is not a great thing. 

having bought a house with CAT 6 installed, and having an "owner" before me, just folding the cable into the wall with hard bends, these cables where so bittle, that just redoing the connectors to Cat 6 to actually getting 10gbit, ended up demanding me to pull 8 new cables, sucks. 

Is it just me or is it a bit funny that the AMD logo is bigger than the intel logo on the motherboard box?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

This is kind of cool but it would be nice if the video were just in a 16:9 ratio for once

Oh, and I'm also interested in what camera you used and just any interested stuff about the way it was filmed

Edited by hiitswilliam

Connecting your anti static wristband to the PSU are not a good solution, specially the fan shroud.  I have tested this with 4 different PSU and all when used paint that had isolating properties, it was actually only the mounting screws that connected the case to ground.   One of the PSU was a Corsair but not the same model that are used in the video.  The other three was from Seasonic, Evga and Fractal.

Fan shroud was one of the parts with the thickest paint coats and there for worst place to use.  Fasten a screw and use that as anchor point was the best solution we found. 

What? Not testing before placing in the case?

I'm a simple person. I see content made with effort, I like it.

I liked the idea, the writing was suitably quirky, and it got my attention. I felt like it was informative in a way that it's beginner-friendly and these experiments are generally interesting in my opinion.

Stay cool!

I wish LTT would get hold of an ESD expert and do a thorough video on proper ESD-aware procedures.

Connecting yourself electrically to grid-connected equipment like that isn't a good idea, especially since it has to be assumed that it's often the first time a particular PSU is used and plugged in - so if there's a short and grounding fault in it, you might not know until you have 120/230 V connected to your forearm! And it does little to eliminate the potential difference between the computer case/components and your body, which should be the goal. People in warm and humid climates, where the indoor relative humidity is high, can get away with sloppy and careless handling, but in cooler and drier parts of the world, the indoor humidity could be 20 %, and that's bad from an ESD perspective...

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 CL18 LPX | GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC + Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

6:38 NEVER EVER do that. The fan motor is fragile. You don't "break" the fan but it can start make noises. 

9:08 If you do that, then re-apply the thermal paste. Otherwise there 's gonna be air gaps in the paste.

11:12 That's a really silly idea. Just wrap the cable around the fan's frame.

16:50 Sure in that way it'll looks better but it'll be a nightmare if you need to replace that fan

23:50 Check the Motherboard manual to make sure that you are plugging the sata cable in a sata 3 port. Don't choose it randomly.

31:12 Definitely pre-install your cables.

Well that was… Interesting… ?

I did laugh at the picture merge in the beginning so that's something :P 

3 hours ago, hiitswilliam said:

This is kind of cool but it would be nice if the video were just in a 16:9 ratio for once

Oh, and I'm also interested in what camera you used and just any interested stuff about the way it was filmed

At 12:18 there is a shot in the reflection of the side panel.  Interested in what hardware mount and camera they used as well.

image.png.ec7ac568cd523950b12c784d7a68877b.png

2 hours ago, Brad Man said:

At 12:18 there is a shot in the reflection of the side panel.  Interested in what hardware mount and camera they used as well.

image.png.ec7ac568cd523950b12c784d7a68877b.png

It looks like a gopro hero 7 maybe, head strap with gopro mount upside down

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

58 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

enhance!

TDp8okU.png

Linus Sebastian, going dark

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, Lendon--95 said:

6:38 NEVER EVER do that. The fan motor is fragile. You don't "break" the fan but it can start make noises. 

9:08 If you do that, then re-apply the thermal paste. Otherwise there 's gonna be air gaps in the paste.

11:12 That's a really silly idea. Just wrap the cable around the fan's frame.

16:50 Sure in that way it'll looks better but it'll be a nightmare if you need to replace that fan

23:50 Check the Motherboard manual to make sure that you are plugging the sata cable in a sata 3 port. Don't choose it randomly.

31:12 Definitely pre-install your cables.

1. No

2. No as well. The amount of pressure that the cooler mounting system puts on the CPU completely eliminates any air gaps.

3. Most of the time it doesn't work because you won't reach the connector. So twisting the cable is the better solution.

4. Realistically speaking how many times do you really change the fan? Yes, it's usually the first component that goes bad because it's a moving part, but by that point I would say you will change the whole system or move to another case. So...

5. This is 2019 and we're some hours away from 2020 and some countries are already in 2020. We don't have sata 1 or 2 anymore. It's all sata 3.

6. Depends on the case.  

20 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i've done that multiple times on the same application over a few years. it's fiiiine

(with NT-H1 at least)

been doing it with the CPU waterblocks in my server for a while also.

just make sure you mount it back properly and the temp difference is almost 0.

after doing this 2-3 times i would recommend changing out the paste tough.

4 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

1. No

2. No as well. The amount of pressure that the cooler mounting system puts on the CPU completely eliminates any air gaps.

3. Most of the time it doesn't work because you won't reach the connector. So twisting the cable is the better solution.

4. Realistically speaking how many times do you really change the fan? Yes, it's usually the first component that goes bad because it's a moving part, but by that point I would say you will change the whole system or move to another case. So...

5. This is 2019 and we're some hours away from 2020 and some countries are already in 2020. We don't have sata 1 or 2 anymore. It's all sata 3.

6. Depends on the case.  

3. do you actually know anything about mechanics? soft twists of cables, are no issue, since it still is not sharp bends, knots are a NO GO..

1. Yes on a noctua fan this might not be an issue, since it is a decent construction, but the inner plastic hub on a cheaper fan can quite easily break, or get bend, so you might on a cheaper fan get issues, also the plastic taps holding the fans to the outer shroud are actually even on Noctua fans quite brittle, i had a Noctua break there, because of poor handling by my son.

a video when training should not be focused, en exactly this hardware, so a bit of a broader explaination of f.ex. 6 could be nice, but a decent video....

what Yvone would said about this video ? I am curious.

and Nice mod mat you got there but shame that is not on LTTstore.com ?

on serious note , some what informative trick even if I have experienced on building computer.

constuctive argument is good.  It's give me somewhat more in-depth.

people tend to do thing in different way ,anyway.

mine is easier slacker way that cause problem later. ?

stricly speaking about cable

normally copper is pretty soft metal depending on how pure it's and what impuritay and metal coating on external side. and depending on  (what does it call in English).  the externalplastic part or rubber or etc. that might effect the strengthen of cable.  twist no problem as you said. some type cable even come in twist inside. the  90 degree angle, no so much problem(some pcb desing in some application does that) but it doe's not ideal condition and in side the case when one finish building it. it mainly stay that way. so I barely see no problem in that.(sharp angle are not good for electrical purpose,btw but curve angle is okish.)

the problem with fan cable Iused to see so far, it's very very thin for some cheapo fan and easier too break while one moving uncarefully.

the cable that moving a lot have more problem like charging cable or headphone cable.

the cable inside the car or something that using inside moving vehicle need some speaclize cable (some reinforce or structure design to compensate)

so warp the cable around the fan frame. the angle tend to be 90 degree but it curve turn anyway.  I never see a  problem but It's does not mean it might exist. I might just don't know

and yes, I am kinda guy that wrap cable around the fan or heatsink w/o problem but that just few sample size.

and it's not like optical glass cable that can't even turn 90 degree. that guarantee to break it.

"Glass is Glass. 
And glass breaks." JerryRigEverything (just want to make that joke?)

Ps. sorry about my broken Engrish. and I barely visit forum so don't expect respond.

Nice product placement there LTT! I like the fact you guys support other tech channels. Steve at GN is doing Gods work. ?

Isn't TridentZ RGB gimmicky and more expensive for pizzazz? Also I've never heard of grounding your ESD strap on your PSU before, even in your own build guides.

Then again, I don't use ESD straps anyway. >_>

Super cool, but I would love to see one in the future in a white case. Some of the cable management stuff and working with the mobo in the case was really difficult to see because of the dark nature of black cases

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 9:25 AM, TheNamelessOne said:

1. No

6. Depends on the case.  

1) Yes, that happened to me a couple of times with cheap fans

2) Not always true

3) Obviusly, check the length of the cable 

4) no comment on this 

5) this is a general advice , some people still build PCs with old compenents 

6) like, 1% of the case . The ones big enough to work without limitations.