London Electric Buses to trial new sound

msknight

Here we go. As if the Borris Bus wasn't enough, new electric buses are to trial a new sound on one route to let people know that they are coming - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/london-electric-bus-sound

Unfortunately the SoundCloud reference to the tune in the article is dead for me, but it's going to be more than just a fake, "engine rev." It's a subject which is drawing a chunk of debate as we've got the chance now to change things. The Verge reported it to be, "positively psychedelic," https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/12/20/21031524/london-electric-buses-artificial-fake-noise-safety-sound Unfortunately, that sound cloud link didn't work either.

Personally, I think they should play the theme tune to, "On The Buses," on a continuous loop -

Imagine having to make fake engine noises through loud speakers inorder to let people know that you're coming.

This post was made by the Diesel Engine Gang.

Details separate people.

My father in law was a around today in a hybrid.   It fucking startled me when he backed out without a sound and I had experienced it before.  Years of experiencing moving vehicles with specific sounds wires us  to be comfortable with a certain expectation/predictability (a key component of survival),  but to then suddenly to not have sounds is as dangerous as having loud headphones on walking around the streets.

I want to hear the sound now.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

Imagine having to compress your fuel to the point it explodes.

This post was made by the Steam Engine Gang.

Imagine having to use such an inefficient fuel source that creates so much pollution.

This post was made by the nuclear engine association.

EDIT:P.S I am aware nuclear needs steam to create electricity.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Imagine having to use such an inefficient fuel source that creates so much pollution.

This post was made by the nuclear engine association.

Imagine having to use a motor powered engine to move a vehicle instead of using your feets to collectively push the vehicle forward

This Post was made by the Flintstones Gang

spacer.png

Details separate people.

They could make it seem like the bus is going faster by playing the Benny Hill theme song

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

Imagine having to compress your fuel to the point it explodes.

This post was made by the Steam Engine Gang.

More like fuel cell gang 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

And here in the USA we have very few buses...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Usually people die after they get hit & run over by the bus, Not Before. :ph34r:

Details separate people.

I wonder if when "most" people have electric vehicles, if the noise they make will be customisable. It could become quite a mess on the roads with noise pollution instead...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

I wonder if when "most" people have electric vehicles, if the noise they make will be customisable. It could become quite a mess on the roads with noise pollution instead...

Please... hell no. Someone will load their car with that damn frog.  Briiiing dinga dinga dinga dinggggg....

Just now, msknight said:

Please... hell no. Someone will load their car with that damn frog.  Briiiing dinga dinga dinga dinggggg....

Sorry, I had that in mind when I wrote that... I'd do it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, msknight said:

...and they'll probably load it into the electric version of the Fiat 500 just to add insult to injury.

Just now, porina said:

Sorry, I had that in mind when I wrote that... I'd do it.

So you're the one responsible !!!  (lol)

34 minutes ago, msknight said:

I'd have mine be the horn version of the US National Anthem like in GTA V.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

My father in law was a around today in a hybrid.   It fucking startled me when he backed out without a sound and I had experienced it before.  Years of experiencing moving vehicles with specific sounds wires us  to be comfortable with a certain expectation/predictability (a key component of survival),  but to then suddenly to not have sounds is as dangerous as having loud headphones on walking around the streets.

I want to hear the sound now.

All motion makes sound. It's a critical part of the way people feel their position in environments by the sounds around them. EVs cause problems because they're mixed in with other vehicle noises in the background so you can't isolate their sound (via the tires, mostly). It's not an issue away from denser populated areas, but, for most, it's a real issue that far too many skip over.

More specifically for Electric Drive-based vehicles, the sound needs to be easily effected by the doppler effect, so you can't actually adjust for the changing position. Some of the early hums were really badly chosen. 

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

overblown recorder music

yeah this exercise in "what is the worst possible sound that will get on every one's nerves" makes me think this has to be regulated by the auto industry or traffic/transport department ._.

It more than likely will end up being regulated by nations' various Departments of Transportation.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I hope it is a series of screams tbh.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

"Fake sounds" are nothing new in cars. The indicator sound is "fake" most of the time, it imitates the one made by the mechanical relays which were originally used. I heard that consumers were irritated when they didn't hear the indicator sound, some of them thought something was broken.

EVs can be very quiet, especially in noisy environments (I would call it low signal to noise ratio rather than just low sound volume), which can lead to people noticing them too late. That's why (as far as I know) )the EU will require new EVs to emit artificial sounds when cruising at less than 20 kph (for higher speeds the normal noise emissions are deemed to be sufficiently noticeable).

6 hours ago, msknight said:

Here we go. As if the Borris Bus wasn't enough, new electric buses are to trial a new sound on one route to let people know that they are coming - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/london-electric-bus-sound

Unfortunately the SoundCloud reference to the tune in the article is dead for me, but it's going to be more than just a fake, "engine rev." It's a subject which is drawing a chunk of debate as we've got the chance now to change things. The Verge reported it to be, "positively psychedelic," https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/12/20/21031524/london-electric-buses-artificial-fake-noise-safety-sound Unfortunately, that sound cloud link didn't work either.

Personally, I think they should play the theme tune to, "On The Buses," on a continuous loop -

Its true it could be anything.   The people who are going to have to listen to it all day are the bus drivers.  Bus driver suicide isn’t needed any more than pedestrians walking in front of busses.  Maybe short circuit that point of complaint by making their union pick what is broadcast.  Maybe they’ll agree with you.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Did no one pay attention in school?

Look, before you walk.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

There is only one true theme: the Devil's Gallop:

And the best thing of all? It's properly British (written by a British composer, and used by the BBC for a radio program). 

Just constantly play "the wheels on the bus" song through the loud speaker and people will know the bus is coming.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I hope it is a series of screams tbh.

or someone mocking the revs going up or whatever, but in the silliest way possible

✨FNIGE✨