Epic (or supergiantgames) randomly raise prices... during sale

LukeSavenije

Sources: @Stefan Paynetechraptor

The Epic Mega Sale started this morning, which included Supergiant Games’ Hades, which, as per our article this morning, had a 65% discount at $6.99. It’s now $9.99, but, during the writing of this article, the price has changed from $14.99 to $19.99.

Supergiant games on their Discord server:

Hey, we wanted to let you know Hades is currently on sale for $14.99 after discounts on the Epic Games store. Folks can pick it up at www.PlayHades.com. We think there’s never been a better time to experience our rogue-like dungeon crawler!

The game’s retail price is now $24.99, up from $19.99 at launch, based on continued improvements and additions we’ve made so far in Early Access, including: an entire new biome, 7 new fully voiced characters including 4 new bosses, hundreds of new fully voiced narrative events, 10 new enemy types, a new weapon, and dozens of new powers and abilities.

All told, we think this new price point reflects the game’s current value in Early Access. As we expect to continue in Early Access until sometime next year, it’s possible we adjust the price again by the time Early Access is complete. We’ll strive to provide plenty of advance notice if that happens. Thank you for your support of this game!

supergiant games on twitter

The price point you saw earlier today was offered in error. We apologize for any confusion this caused and hope customers who got the deal enjoy the game. The corrected sale price is still a 25% discount off of the original price point.

Supergiant games on their discord server later that day

Hey again everyone. Earlier today, Hades became available at a significant discount as part of the Epic Mega Sale on the Epic Games store. We communicated poorly in the hours that followed, and want to clear things up.

The retail price of Hades is now back to $19.99, our original launch price. With the Epic Discount, you can get the game for $10 off that price right now, through to the end of the sale on June 13.

After the sale is over, on June 14, we will be raising the game’s retail price to $24.99. We had intended to raise the retail price of the game soon, but made the decision rashly as part of the sale — we didn’t provide advance notice to our customers, despite previously stating we would do so. That was our mistake, and we sincerely apologize. To all our players, thank you for your patience and understanding around this.

other games

Meanwhile, our TechRaptor staff started investigating, and we noticed price changes for other games and some other differences with games missing. Metro Exodus was $39.99 this morning, and now it’s $34.99. Deep Silver announced the (up to) 25% discount on Twitter

Oxygen Not Included is no longer available for sale. The game is simply not listed on the store anymore, and even if you have it in your library you can’t open the store page anymore. This is similar to how Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 has been removed from the sale by Paradox Interactive, who didn’t want to take part in the sale, as we reported earlier.

The Division 2 is also no longer available for sale, neither are other Ubisoft titles like Anno 1800 and Watch_Dogs 2. Epic Games Director of Publishing Strategy Sergey Galyonkin explained the reason to a Russian user on Twitter. Here’s a Bing translation: “We have a problem with the link accounts Uplay from the weekend until they removed their games from the sale. I really hope that I will fix it until the end of the sale, but I do not undertake to promise.”

Shouldn't I not be surprised that Epic's first sale didn't go exactly smoothly? 

Hell, Steam still screws up from time to time. It's rarer now but it is a thing 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Shouldn't I not be surprised that Epic's first sale didn't go exactly smoothly? 

Hell, Steam still screws up from time to time. It's rarer now but it is a thing 

No, listen to the steam bots, epic is evil, steam good.

Explore immersive worlds for only $15. Experience rich storylines for a mere $20. Meet exciting characters and it'll just cost you $25. Have you ever paid the measly sum of $30 for engaging gameplay? Look at that giant enemy crab; that's $40. If you call now, it's $50.

This deal gets worse every time. Let's pray they don't alter it any further.

20 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Explore immersive worlds for only $15. Experience rich storylines for a mere $20. Meet exciting characters and it'll just cost you $25. Have you ever paid the measly sum of $30 for engaging gameplay? Look at that giant enemy crab; that's $40. If you call now, it's $50.

This deal gets worse every time. Let's pray they don't alter it any further.

sale has ended

retail price of 60 dollars

@LukeSavenije Might want to fix this:

the price has changed from $14.99 to $9.99.

*$19.99

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The Reddit outrage surrounding this sale is pretty funny. Apparently some games being $10 off is going to destroy the gaming industry via devaluation?

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

22 minutes ago, System32.exe said:

The Reddit outrage surrounding this sale is pretty funny. Apparently some games being $10 off is going to destroy the gaming industry via devaluation?

Operating at a loss purposely like that is kind of illegal in many countries though, because it breaks fair competition, so in a way an outrage is kind of legitimate.

(Peopke should just ignore it and let it die on its own)

14 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Operating at a loss purposely like that is kind of illegal in many countries though, because it breaks fair competition, so in a way an outrage is kind of legitimate.

(Peopke should just ignore it and let it die on its own)

That's a strike against their 12% revenue cut, not this sale. This sale they're hosting is tame compared to what we regularly see on Steam.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

5 hours ago, MyName13 said:

No, listen to the steam bots, epic is evil, steam good.

Epic bad, Steam good! Praise Gaben (and Geraldo)!

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

remember greenlight/early access?

yeah ._. i'm with supergiant here. they're being consistent, at least (minus the mistiming part)

Remember when you had to finish a product before selling it to people? 

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

i guess people are fine with continual development at an earlier stage? o_o they're definitely not alone in this

Buying games these days will be like investing in stock. Yes you can buy yourself inn early, but you risk not getting much of a game.

Or buy inn late and know what you are getting. 

You haven't seen anything yet:
payday-105.png

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

i guess people are fine with continual development at an earlier stage? o_o they're definitely not alone in this

People buy what’s there that’s the fact.

8 hours ago, floofer said:

Remember when you had to finish a product before selling it to people? 

To play devil's advocate, and be completely fair to the subject, it's been a very, very long time since games were "finished" when you bought them. Harken back to the days of physical media and no patches, and you'll find it, but not too often since then.

I've bought into a few early access games; 7 Days (even though still very buggy, I've got near 600 hours into it), Rimworld, and Banished are three that I've enjoyed, they also happen to be three of the four EA titles I've bought into. The fourth, being the one the scorned me, Starforge. Few know of it, as is well deserved. It was "released" from EA in a state that genuinely could have constituted a plausible case for fraud. it was soon pulled from the store (there's debate as to if it was voluntarily or forcefully pulled), and released for free through the developer's (Code}{atch) website. Even free, it's not worth even considering downloading, and Code}{atch themselves have established themselves as an unsuccessful, abandonware developer with overwhelmingly unremarkable (at best) titles to their name.

Outside of videogames, it's not uncommon to sell "unfinished" products to the consumer as well, early adopters, first generation users are just that.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

11 hours ago, System32.exe said:

That's a strike against their 12% revenue cut, not this sale. This sale they're hosting is tame compared to what we regularly see on Steam.

Wrll difference is that for steam sales everyone gets money for it and do not operate at a loss. Here Epic clearly is operating at a loss, which is not legal at least where I'm from.

22 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Sources: @Stefan Paynetechraptor

The Epic Mega Sale started this morning, which included Supergiant Games’ Hades, which, as per our article this morning, had a 65% discount at $6.99. It’s now $9.99, but, during the writing of this article, the price has changed from $14.99 to $19.99.

Supergiant games on their Discord server:

supergiant games on twitter

Supergiant games on their discord server later that day

other games

So this is the developers fault. Epic had nothing to do with it (nor does the store/platform EVER dictate pricing nor sale discounts). 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So Borderlands 3 apparently is delisted for the time being 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 5/19/2019 at 4:18 AM, D13H4RD said:

So Borderlands 3 apparently is delisted for the time being 

It is avaliable on the humble bundle however.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 5/18/2019 at 3:53 AM, williamcll said:

You haven't seen anything yet:
payday-105.png

So do they pay you 71 cents to buy those things?