BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

It's all over bar the shouting.

I didn't know about this until it was about half way through but I popped what I could into Zika, Einstein and LHC.

Indeed, great job everyone.

xD I can't even get to the site to screen grab the final results.  Well, once I can get to the site, I will post the screeny.

Also, if anyone want to be on a list to be pinged next year when the BOINC Pent comes up, just leave a post here or message me.  I will get a list done up to keep on hand for next year.

Along with reworking and reverifying some guides for BOINC setup with some tips added.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 4/24/2019 at 7:35 AM, Ithanul said:

Congrats to everyone that help LTT in the BOINC Pentathlon
@Spotty

@Ithanul unfortunately I had some BOINC client issues that I couldn't resolve before the event started so I didn't participate in the event.

Spoiler

tenor2.gif.b91e18b28b7f6da4625e55ecb98667b5.gif

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Great job to everyone who participated. This was actually pretty fun to do, though I can't say I'll miss my PC sounding like a wind tunnel haha ? I wouldn't mind doing this again next year. 

I'm interested in doing this again next year. By then I should have some more hardware I can throw at it.

7 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Time for our whiskeys? 

I went out partying with my best friend so I wasn't here to watch the timer hit 0. Currently 3:51AM, and I'm 7 hours late. I still failed to pick up that whiskey I wanted but I've got some Fireball sitting around it'll have to do.

A toast to 10th place. If we still have it that is I don't know haven't checked.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I went out partying with my best friend so I wasn't here to watch the timer hit 0. Currently 3:51AM, and I'm 7 hours late. I still failed to pick up that whiskey I wanted but I've got some Fireball sitting around it'll have to do.

A toast to 10th place. If we still have it that is I don't know haven't checked.

yep, still tenth! 

it was pretty fun to do, tough i doubt i'll keep on doing boinc on my main rig now. the added heat in the loop doesn;t bode too well for the F@H PPD on my GPU's

maybe next year i'll have some more horsepower to throw this way. ;)

7 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Indeed, great job everyone.

xD I can't even get to the site to screen grab the final results.  Well, once I can get to the site, I will post the screeny.

Also, if anyone want to be on a list to be pinged next year when the BOINC Pent comes up, just leave a post here or message me.  I will get a list done up to keep on hand for next year.

Along with reworking and reverifying some guides for BOINC setup with some tips added.

I was going to make a Google forms for this today actually.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

17 hours ago, Ithanul said:

I'm seeing more folks nabbing Xeon E5-1XXX series chips now.  Since folks found out a way to OC those on the x79 and x99 platform (....ain't kidding, some folks are hitting into the 4.4GHz to 4.8GHz with those).

There are a series of Xeons that have unlocked multipliers. They're in the 1XXX series.

17 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Though....I really hope AMD has some news on the next TRs at Computex.  But, them dropping those off the roadmap did not leave a good feeling in me.  :I  I held off going from my 1950X up to a 2950X or higher as I plan to jump to the next release.  Plus, next year I be on a very, very nice paying deployment, I will have cash to burn late next year for some nice upgrades for my rigs.

What I would do is take advantage of the price reduction of last gen (after the new release) to get an upgrade for cheaper.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

What I would do is take advantage of the price reduction of last gen (after the new release) to get an upgrade for cheaper.

I don't really have any interest in the 2950X and higher chips as the next rework of the next Zen chips is getting the memory controller moved to IO die which hopefully improves the internal latency.  Plus, 7nm should use less power.  Along with updated feature sets.  Personally, I just really want better boards for the TRs and updated features.

I actually bought the 1950X when the 2950X drop.  :I  I just hope AMD has something new in the HEDT platform area. 

5 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I was going to make a Google forms for this today actually.

Probably still good idea to get that form done up.  At least one for any folks interested in at least getting messaged for next year.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

8 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Probably still good idea to get that form done up.  At least one for any folks interested in at least getting messaged for next year.

I think you misunderstood, I am planning to do the form today. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

I think you misunderstood, I am planning to do the form today. 

Ah, alrighty.  

I'm going to get started on that testing for next year. What distros should I try? I'm thinking:

Ubuntu

Mint

Lubuntu

CentOS

some obscure random Debian distros

any other ideas?

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm going to get started on that testing for next year. What distros should I try? I'm thinking:

Ubuntu

Mint

Lubuntu

CentOS

some obscure random Debian distros

any other ideas?

Do you have a raspberry pi, they could make for some interesting testing

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

No, all I have is a 32 thread PROXMOX server and a 64 thread Hyper-V server.

On 4/23/2019 at 5:35 PM, Ithanul said:

Congrats to everyone that help LTT in the BOINC Pentathlon

@TVwazhere 

When you get credit for something you didnt do ?

Related image

Sorry I literally didnt participate, got too distracted in other things and left ITNOS to fold instead. I'm very humbled that you thought of me considering I think this is my first comment on this thread

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I did a little bit of testing with my raspberry pi and Boinc using just the Boinc manager since I really don't know much about running it via the terminal, I tested I believe SETI@Home on it (World Community Grid wasn't supported so I obviously couldn't do OpenZika) and I had to fiddle with the preferences here and there because if I set it to use 100% the CPU very quickly reached near 85c which at that point once it reaches 85c or there about, it starts to thermal throttle. Anyone wanting to do some testing with the raspberry pi I'd suggest maybe trying to find a way to get some activate airflow/cooling on the CPU since the passive cooling only does so much.

Edited by LordofIrons
Editing this comment of mine because I keep thinking of other things to add onto it. Easier to edit then create a new comment. Also spelling errors.

49 minutes ago, LordofIrons said:

I did a little bit of testing with my raspberry pi and Boinc using just the Boinc manager since I really don't know much about running it via the terminal, I tested I believe SETI@Home on it (World Community Grid wasn't supported so I obviously couldn't do OpenZika) and I had to fiddle with the preferences here and there because if I set it to use 100% the CPU very quickly reached near 85c which at that point once it reaches 85c or there about, it starts to thermal throttle. Anyone wanting to do some testing with the raspberry pi I'd suggest maybe trying to find a way to get some activate airflow/cooling on the CPU since the passive cooling only does so much.

There are quite a few pi cooling ideas floating about.

Here's a few I have watched

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Guys, here's the link to the mailing list form, if you are interested in being messaged about further Distributed computing events then get your name down! 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSezA3YiHMxDqhUN2kOLoU2WT3LyEi9zseZNT_D_ytY4mpyDxg/viewform?usp=sf_link

@Ithanul - Wanna add this to the OP? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Final ceremony for the Pentathlon

https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/content/1071-BOINC-Pentathlon-2019-Final-Ceremony-Part-2

Once again, well done everyone, thank you for participating.  

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

28 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

There are quite a few pi cooling ideas floating about.

Here's a few I have watched

I've noticed those. Which is pretty interesting, the extreme heatsink or whatever you would prefer to call it in the first video is something i've seen quite few times while looking around for different ways of cooling the Pi.Though I suppose if one didn't want to use those options they could point a fan at the raspberry pi and let it cool that way, probably wouldn't be as effective but that's one way to go about it.

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Guys, here's the link to the mailing list form, if you are interested in being messaged about further Distributed computing events then get your name down! 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSezA3YiHMxDqhUN2kOLoU2WT3LyEi9zseZNT_D_ytY4mpyDxg/viewform?usp=sf_link

@Ithanul - Wanna add this to the OP? 

Added to main post.

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

When you get credit for something you didnt do ?

Sorry I literally didnt participate, got too distracted in other things and left ITNOS to fold instead. I'm very humbled that you thought of me considering I think this is my first comment on this thread

Corrected now.