BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

I've put more fuel on WCG... since we're approaching the last 24 hours, and weather has cooled down where I am, I'm squeezing a bit more out.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I've been as is config wise last 4 hours, some servers haven't been able to get any ATLAS work so have been doing WCG (dual project running). I  noticed AF has pushed up their WCG output so if we want to pass them I need to abandon LHC. Not sure which is better or wait until we pass OCN in LHC then abandon.

OCN is likely to drop a bunker or two in the sprint, meaning we'd have to outperform then by some margin to keep the place. Not sure of your timezone, if you can wait another couple hours to see what it's looking like I'd advise that much. I'm likely to be around until 2am my time, it's currently 22:30 for reference. I think stay as you are for now and we'll review 00:15. If you can.

1 minute ago, porina said:

I've put more fuel on WCG... since we're approaching the last 24 hours, and weather has cooled down where I am, I'm squeezing a bit more out.

What have you added?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Not sure of your timezone, if you can wait another couple hours to see what it's looking like I'd advise that much. I'm likely to be around until 2am my time, it's currently 22:30 for reference. I think stay as you are for now and we'll review 00:15. If you can.

9:36am atm, I might fall asleep though since I was up till just 4-5 hours ago.

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

What have you added?

I reactivated the 2600 + 5930k. I'm looking at an extra 6700k going by bed time but I'm running out of places to put things...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

I reactivated the 2600 + 5930k. I'm looking at an extra 6700k going by bed time but I'm running out of places to put things...

I've brought another 16 threads online in WCG too... 

@leadeater in theory SG isn't unreachable in either marathon or sprint for us. But... If we can take OCN down a peg and give us an extra place against them that would increase our difference by 6 points giving us a larger safety margin... Then we are likely to take 9th in the marathon regardless giving us a further 3 point difference and raising the total difference to 18 points.

So, I think taking OCN out in the sprint should be our priority, with the added power in the marathon that me and porina has dropped it should help us maintain there... 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

?‍♂️2 of my servers had all their projects suspended

Just now, leadeater said:

?‍♂️2 of my servers had all their projects suspended

Rip

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Make that 20 more threads actually

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

@leadeater in theory SG isn't unreachable in either marathon or sprint for us.

I'm not so sure about sprint, with 26 hours left and 40k/hr that's 1.04mil, SG will make half of that more putting us just short.

Also I wish these would bloody finish

image.png.76dbdf1bf160dac6d5272555c280d883.png

Been sitting there for hours doing NOTHING, why! Don't get that issue on Linux just Windows. Literally half the run time is sitting at 100% doing F all.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'm not so sure about sprint, with 26 hours left and 40k/hr that's 1.04mil, SG will make half of that more putting us just short.

I meant if we threw everything at sprint at the expense of marathon, not that I am recommending that. 

As I said, OCN in sprint should be a priority. Anything more than that just wouldn't be efficient. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Managed to put on an extra two systems on top of those already mentioned... my house power meter is firmly in the red now :D Now the additional systems I put on aren't 100% crunching stable for reasons I never figured out, so we'll have to see if they're still going in the morning. With that, I'm off to bed.

@leadeater update time, is there any chance you can switch just one more of your machines over to LHC? one of the lower core count ones.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@Windows7ge any chance you can swap 16 threads to LHC? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

24 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

@Windows7ge any chance you can swap 16 threads to LHC? 

Not home at the moment. When I am what jobs should I give it? Just ATLAS?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Not home at the moment. When I am what jobs should I give it? Just ATLAS?

ATLAS seems to be the best option

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@leadeater update time, is there any chance you can switch just one more of your machines over to LHC? one of the lower core count ones.

Not really no, I've already got systems not getting any LHC tasks. My only option would be to allow more than just ATLAS, know of other good ones?

34 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not really no, I've already got systems not getting any LHC tasks. My only option would be to allow more than just ATLAS, know of other good ones?

Can you put ATLAS on it and put WCG as a resource share 0 task? 

Also!!!

image.png.8bb710eea0e17f952afe6f84f8c16d62.png

No idea how that works out as 40 hours though... I get 4-5 hours in my maths from the last hourly update, and 19-20 hours based on the daily total...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

Can you put ATLAS on it and put WCG as a resource share 0 task? 

There LHC servers just won't give me any ATLAS tasks at all, just comes back with no ATLAS tasks in the logs. Really annoying. How do you change the resource share btw?

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

There LHC servers just won't give me any ATLAS tasks at all, just comes back with no ATLAS tasks in the logs. Really annoying. How do you change the resource share btw?

You can do it on the WCG page, under profiles I think, if you can't find it I'll drop you a link it a min, once you've done that you need to force an update on the client

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@leadeater seems like the WCG page is down, you can also edit the config file but @Ithanul would have to assist with that. As unfortunately my knowledge is limited.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

@leadeater seems like the WCG page is down, you can also edit the config file but @Ithanul would have to assist with that. As unfortunately my knowledge is limited.

I've tried updating to a newer vbox install on one of the systems and suspending WCG then requesting tasks and it made no difference. I'm starting to suspect it's a backend limit on my account.

I've tried updating to a newer vbox install on one of the systems and suspending WCG then requesting tasks and it made no difference. I'm starting to suspect it's a backend limit on my account.

It's possible but I don't see it being the case, maybe the site being down is a sign of back end struggles in general?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

It's possible but I don't see it being the case, maybe the site being down is a sign of back end struggles in general?

LHC is the one not giving tasks

LHC is the one not giving tasks

Yeah, durp moment, it is 3:36am after all. 

Have you dumped any WUs? That would make them limit you, or they simply don't have the WUs to hand out.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240