Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djmartrix

Blockchain: Pirate Killer ?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

i just read this artical about blockchain would be able to stop pirating, providing the whole world changed to this system. 

 

https://finance.nine.com.au/2019/03/08/10/45/news-business-aussie-company-shares-anti-piracy-breakthrough?ocid=Social-Nine

 

can someone please tell me wtf a "virtual video file" is and how it works? lol

 

cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can experience the content, you can steal it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Blockchain is essentially a method of creating accountability for online transactions. But if it can be played back on a screen it can be pirated.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

 

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, djmartrix said:

can someone please tell me wtf a "virtual video file" is and how it works?

From my understanding upon reading the article, it's a video file that is stored in the blockchain and through this new software it only permits legitimate users that paid for the movie to view it. In other words, it sounds exactly like a how your typical streaming service works.

 

Still won't kill pirating. As long as you can buy or download offline copies (DVD, Blu-ray), someone is going to put it online to share.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you can experience the content, you can steal it

Better put:

If someone can access it, anyone can access it.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“When video content is uploaded through a blockchain system, there is only one version of the file, which can then be distributed to multiple locations. This is all recorded using blockchain, so content creators are able to track how many times a video has been viewed / played,” he explained.

“Think of each video asset as artwork. Each asset becomes a 'signed copy’. There’s no longer any forgery because the authenticity of the video is verified by the blockchain.”

This won't work because even if you control the original file there's absolutely nothing stopping pirates from just using screen recording software to record the movie and then reuploading it elsewhere through traditional means.


CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

From my understanding upon reading the article, it's a video file that is stored in the blockchain and through this new software it only permits legitimate users that paid for the movie to view it. In other words, it sounds exactly like a how your typical streaming service works.

Indeed. They're only changing how the stream is delivered, but they're basing their claims on the assumption that pirates share the original file online; that's just bullshit, pirates record the stream, they don't share the original file, so none of this bullshit is going to do jack shit about piracy.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Better put:

If someone can access it, anyone can access it.

Well, true I suppose.  You're referencing the fact someone will pirate it and make it available, yes?  I was thinking more along the lines of you can't experience the content (watch the video, listen to the music, etc.) without then being able to capture it in some way.  There's no way content could be distributed in a way that allows experiencing it without also enabling it to be captured in some manner or another, so it's fundamentally impossible to stop piracy as far as I can tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

there's absolutely nothing stopping pirates from just using screen recording software to record

curses, foiled by something so simple that has been around for decades.

 

it's basically the same as saying "i made this art, i hold the original piece, therefore you can't photocopy it"

and them someone just traces it....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was thinking more along the lines of you can't experience the content (watch the video, listen to the music, etc.) without then being able to capture it in some way.  There's no way content could be distributed in a way that allows experiencing it without also enabling it to be captured in some manner or another, so it's fundamentally impossible to stop piracy as far as I can tell.

There is, incidentally, a name for this phenomenon and it's called the analog hole. As long as humans' senses are analog, there is no way of avoiding the analog hole.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't this like how TV, especially cable TV, works in the old time? You paid for the service, be it the TV itself or a decoder box, the you can watch the shows and whatnot. Technically, the TV signal is only broadcasted once by the company. But there are going to be someone who paid the service, record it with a recorder and put it in a rent shop. Except all these are now in digital. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, true I suppose.  You're referencing the fact someone will pirate it and make it available, yes?  I was thinking more along the lines of you can't experience the content (watch the video, listen to the music, etc.) without then being able to capture it in some way.  There's no way content could be distributed in a way that allows experiencing it without also enabling it to be captured in some manner or another, so it's fundamentally impossible to stop piracy as far as I can tell.

I'm referencing security in general. And not limited to just computing either. If a single person can access it, any person can access it.


Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

There is, incidentally, a name for this phenomenon and it's called the analog hole. As long as humans' senses are analog, there is no way of avoiding the analog hole.

which is why I always though the term "digital audio" was funny to use as a selling point for something. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

For all those saying it won't work, you have missed one point,  If the content is only legitimately available through blockchain streaming (or whatever they will call it) then that leaves no doubt that anyone in possession of a copy in any other format to be pirates.  Which makes it easier to identify pirate material and websites and charge anyone involved.


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

then that leaves no doubt that anyone in possession of a copy in any other format to be pirates.

why would the pirates be part of the blockchain

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, emosun said:

why would the pirates be part of the blockchain

they aren't


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mr moose said:

they aren't

so what good is the blockchain if everything illegal is being done outside of it

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, emosun said:

so what good is the blockchain if everything illegal is being done outside of it

 

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

For all those saying it won't work, you have missed one point,  If the content is only legitimately available through blockchain streaming (or whatever they will call it) then that leaves no doubt that anyone in possession of a copy in any other format to be piratesWhich makes it easier to identify pirate material and websites and charge anyone involved.

 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

 

I don't see how this monitors the activity that happens outside the chain. How does this identify copies that are not legit outside the chain.

I get that ANY copy outside the chain is not legit. But how does this change the current way illegal copies of anything are distributed and consumed regardless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, emosun said:

I don't see how this monitors the activity that happens outside the chain. How does this identify copies that are not legit outside the chain.

 

It doesn't.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:


I get that ANY copy outside the chain is not legit. But how does this change the current way illegal copies of anything are distributed and consumed regardless. 

It won't.

 

It just makes it absolutely transparent from an investigation and evidence position. 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It doesn't.

It won't.

 

It just makes it absolutely transparent from an investigation and evidence position. 

I figured it is already pretty clear cut when a service is distributing copyrighted materials that it does not hold rights to and the copyright holder has not granted rights to it was illegal. Although this would make it easier to generate automated methods to mitigate distribution of copyrighted materials.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

 

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BobVonBob said:

I figured it is already pretty clear cut when a service is distributing copyrighted materials that it does not hold rights to and the copyright holder has not granted rights to it was illegal. Although this would make it easier to generate automated methods to mitigate distribution of copyrighted materials.

Clear cut, but the issue is not knowing when a service has done something wrong, the issue is when the courts and judicial system don't accept the evidence. 

 

We are constantly undergoing law changes in Australia because the legal system does not cater for digital crimes.  Under current law the industry would not only have to prove you had the infringing content but that you didn't buy it legitimately.   Under this system it would appear they no longer have to worry about legitimacy because being in possession of the content means you are already guilty.  The only battle left for them is with judges who oversee such cases (In Australia that is a hard battle). 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OBS. 


Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×