Blockchain: Pirate Killer ?

i just read this artical about blockchain would be able to stop pirating, providing the whole world changed to this system. 

https://finance.nine.com.au/2019/03/08/10/45/news-business-aussie-company-shares-anti-piracy-breakthrough?ocid=Social-Nine

can someone please tell me wtf a "virtual video file" is and how it works? lol

cheers

If you can experience the content, you can steal it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Blockchain is essentially a method of creating accountability for online transactions. But if it can be played back on a screen it can be pirated.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, djmartrix said:

can someone please tell me wtf a "virtual video file" is and how it works?

From my understanding upon reading the article, it's a video file that is stored in the blockchain and through this new software it only permits legitimate users that paid for the movie to view it. In other words, it sounds exactly like a how your typical streaming service works.

Still won't kill pirating. As long as you can buy or download offline copies (DVD, Blu-ray), someone is going to put it online to share.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you can experience the content, you can steal it

Better put:

If someone can access it, anyone can access it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

“When video content is uploaded through a blockchain system, there is only one version of the file, which can then be distributed to multiple locations. This is all recorded using blockchain, so content creators are able to track how many times a video has been viewed / played,” he explained.

“Think of each video asset as artwork. Each asset becomes a 'signed copy’. There’s no longer any forgery because the authenticity of the video is verified by the blockchain.”

This won't work because even if you control the original file there's absolutely nothing stopping pirates from just using screen recording software to record the movie and then reuploading it elsewhere through traditional means.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

From my understanding upon reading the article, it's a video file that is stored in the blockchain and through this new software it only permits legitimate users that paid for the movie to view it. In other words, it sounds exactly like a how your typical streaming service works.

Indeed. They're only changing how the stream is delivered, but they're basing their claims on the assumption that pirates share the original file online; that's just bullshit, pirates record the stream, they don't share the original file, so none of this bullshit is going to do jack shit about piracy.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Better put:

If someone can access it, anyone can access it.

Well, true I suppose.  You're referencing the fact someone will pirate it and make it available, yes?  I was thinking more along the lines of you can't experience the content (watch the video, listen to the music, etc.) without then being able to capture it in some way.  There's no way content could be distributed in a way that allows experiencing it without also enabling it to be captured in some manner or another, so it's fundamentally impossible to stop piracy as far as I can tell.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

there's absolutely nothing stopping pirates from just using screen recording software to record

curses, foiled by something so simple that has been around for decades.

it's basically the same as saying "i made this art, i hold the original piece, therefore you can't photocopy it"

and them someone just traces it....

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was thinking more along the lines of you can't experience the content (watch the video, listen to the music, etc.) without then being able to capture it in some way.  There's no way content could be distributed in a way that allows experiencing it without also enabling it to be captured in some manner or another, so it's fundamentally impossible to stop piracy as far as I can tell.

There is, incidentally, a name for this phenomenon and it's called the analog hole. As long as humans' senses are analog, there is no way of avoiding the analog hole.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Isn't this like how TV, especially cable TV, works in the old time? You paid for the service, be it the TV itself or a decoder box, the you can watch the shows and whatnot. Technically, the TV signal is only broadcasted once by the company. But there are going to be someone who paid the service, record it with a recorder and put it in a rent shop. Except all these are now in digital. 

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, true I suppose.  You're referencing the fact someone will pirate it and make it available, yes?  I was thinking more along the lines of you can't experience the content (watch the video, listen to the music, etc.) without then being able to capture it in some way.  There's no way content could be distributed in a way that allows experiencing it without also enabling it to be captured in some manner or another, so it's fundamentally impossible to stop piracy as far as I can tell.

I'm referencing security in general. And not limited to just computing either. If a single person can access it, any person can access it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

There is, incidentally, a name for this phenomenon and it's called the analog hole. As long as humans' senses are analog, there is no way of avoiding the analog hole.

which is why I always though the term "digital audio" was funny to use as a selling point for something. lol

For all those saying it won't work, you have missed one point,  If the content is only legitimately available through blockchain streaming (or whatever they will call it) then that leaves no doubt that anyone in possession of a copy in any other format to be pirates.  Which makes it easier to identify pirate material and websites and charge anyone involved.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

then that leaves no doubt that anyone in possession of a copy in any other format to be pirates.

why would the pirates be part of the blockchain

Just now, emosun said:

why would the pirates be part of the blockchain

they aren't

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

they aren't

so what good is the blockchain if everything illegal is being done outside of it

Just now, emosun said:

so what good is the blockchain if everything illegal is being done outside of it

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

For all those saying it won't work, you have missed one point,  If the content is only legitimately available through blockchain streaming (or whatever they will call it) then that leaves no doubt that anyone in possession of a copy in any other format to be piratesWhich makes it easier to identify pirate material and websites and charge anyone involved.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't see how this monitors the activity that happens outside the chain. How does this identify copies that are not legit outside the chain.

I get that ANY copy outside the chain is not legit. But how does this change the current way illegal copies of anything are distributed and consumed regardless. 

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

I don't see how this monitors the activity that happens outside the chain. How does this identify copies that are not legit outside the chain.

It doesn't.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

I get that ANY copy outside the chain is not legit. But how does this change the current way illegal copies of anything are distributed and consumed regardless. 

It won't.

It just makes it absolutely transparent from an investigation and evidence position. 

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It doesn't.

It won't.

It just makes it absolutely transparent from an investigation and evidence position. 

I figured it is already pretty clear cut when a service is distributing copyrighted materials that it does not hold rights to and the copyright holder has not granted rights to it was illegal. Although this would make it easier to generate automated methods to mitigate distribution of copyrighted materials.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

I figured it is already pretty clear cut when a service is distributing copyrighted materials that it does not hold rights to and the copyright holder has not granted rights to it was illegal. Although this would make it easier to generate automated methods to mitigate distribution of copyrighted materials.

Clear cut, but the issue is not knowing when a service has done something wrong, the issue is when the courts and judicial system don't accept the evidence. 

We are constantly undergoing law changes in Australia because the legal system does not cater for digital crimes.  Under current law the industry would not only have to prove you had the infringing content but that you didn't buy it legitimately.   Under this system it would appear they no longer have to worry about legitimacy because being in possession of the content means you are already guilty.  The only battle left for them is with judges who oversee such cases (In Australia that is a hard battle). 

OBS. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers