Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James

Why did you buy an Android phone?

Organized home screen - I had the same launcher on all my phones with a similar organized layout. having all apps on the home screen, pretty much required to categorize drove me nuts on the company iPhone 6 I once had. 

perceived better bang for the buck at the 350-400€ price point. 

bought into the Google verse with multiple chromecasts. implementation is already sometimes glitchy with Android but probably won't improve with iOS 

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: i7 2600k @4.5GHz / 1,33V, Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 V Pro RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333Hz GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Asus Strix 970 Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Sharkoon T9 Value PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

21 hours ago, James said:

A few months ago we posted a thread asking iPhone owners to tell us why they chose to be iPhone owners:

The result of that was this video:

Now we're doing it for ANDROID!!!1

Please post your favorite Android things / Ways Android is just better than iOS/iPhone!

*** We don't really want to hear from the iPhone owners here. We want to hear from current Android users

phones can end up being less expensive, and the overall experience of android is great to me. Ive used ios many times and just prefer android as an operating system over ios and of course the ultimate reason....... Google assistant, its not even a contest

Not overpriced, more open OS, can get phones with unlocked bootloader, extensive support from modding community. And it doesnt need a bloatware to be installed on my PC just to get my stuff onto the phone, not to mention with the right software it can open almost anything. Oh and you do not need a several step guide just to set a freakin custom ringtone.

/EDIT

Forgot to mention the microSD slot :D . (We dont have unlimited plans here so i need to store my stuff locally.)

Edited by jagdtigger
1 hour ago, poochyena said:

whoa, can you not re-arrange apps on iphone?

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

I think he means not rearranged automatically. I don't find that to be a con since I usually keep my apps in folders and always keep different pages for games and general use. 

What I mean is that if you on your home screen only want 12 apps on your home screen, you can not for example leave the top row empty. It can be in whatever order you want, but they automatically snap to the top and leave the empty space at the bottom.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

The choice factor, as it pertains to price, festureset, the way the individual flavors of Android look and feel and other factors 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

I switched to Android from an iPhone 3GS and one of the deciding factors was that Android appeared to work a lot better with the Windows ecosystem than iTunes.  It was easier for me to transfer music, photos and videos from device to PC and vice versa than going through iTunes, where at least once a month, Apple would ask for me to re-register the same computer that was already registered and add that registration on the number of concurrent uses that iTunes allowed.  Hardware wise, I never had too many issues with the Apple hardware, but having the MicroSD card slot or having the removable battery at the time was a nice feature.  Still like being able to get devices with MicroSD support.  I also like the ability to organize the icons on Android and navigate the system menus better than what iOS had.  

Well... I got a ASUS Zenfone V from verizon and the main selling point was USB-C. For $200! Its a all around great phone, play pubg at high settings (untill it gets hot `-`) and yeah! all around, Im happy with my purchase.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Reasons for me buying Android:

1. Not Made By Apple
  2. Not Made By Apple
  3. Not Made By Apple
  4. Not Made By Apple
  5. Not Made By Apple
  6. Cheaper
  7. Cheaper repairs
  8. Don't need to worry about being locked out by said repairs via updates
  9. Don't need to be worried about updates deliberately slowing down your device
  10. Want a built in Stylus? We got that
  11. Headphone jack? Got that too
  12. Removable Batteries? Go fishing you'll eventually find one
  13. Want the last 3 mentioned for under $500? Used to be possible, not sure now.
  14. Cheaper hehehe
  15. Expandable memory (for the most part)
  16. You are not a cookie cut clone (unless you use a Sammy Sx series, sorry it's true)
  17. You don't need to break the law to root your device (if wished)
  18. More customization all around
  19. Performance per $ is getting better each year, not staying the same. Esp lower end units.
  20. No additional (aka non gov) tax required
  21. Not Made By Apple ∞ 

21 hours ago, Bigbootyjudy said:
    • Less secure

Like to point out a phone is only as secure as one permits it to be. So no "real" cons there for the non tech savvy.

I don't own a smart phone, and I don't want to. Yes, it does come in handy at times. But my tinfoil hat is as pointy as ever, as I don't need the government tracking me any more than they already do. Besides that, it helps me disconnect from tech for awhile and reconnect with life. Kinda refreshing honestly. 

48 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

How do you make calls away from home?  I don't think pay phones exist anymore because of cell phones.

He uses a cellphone that doesn't have smart features. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

- Being able to choose which ecosytem i want to use.

- Battery Life

- Headphone Jack, Fingerprint Reader, Expandable Storage, Wireless Charging. Apple has most of these but not all on the same devise. 

- Don't have to use iVirusTunes

- Dual Sim (2 sim cards not e-sim as mobile operator don't want to support that here)

- Can organize apps.

- Software like KNOX for security and being able to keep work and personal separate on one device.

- Separate sliders for Sound options.

I just realized, I don't think this meets posting guidelines.

Waste of time

Candour and lies

For what I left behind

I know the price was high

No tears to cry

No words to make it right

But now I know

That home is where my heart desires.

Pyo.

38 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I just realized, I don't think this meets posting guidelines.

Wrong subthread too, I might add

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

I bought the OnePlus 6T as my very first smartphone after using the same flip phone for 10 years straight and here are my reasons (without rooting) :
-prefer Oxygen OS over iOS. The location of Settings makes more sense and the OS itself is at least on par with an iOS level of quality. File Management, responsiveness, and multitasking is above iOS level.

-Screen of a top of the line iPhone for half the price
-prefer having an in-display fingerprint sensor over simply having the latest iOS device. It's uniquely flashy.
-It has less passive flashiness, ie., a thief isn't going to take one look at my phone and go 'ooo that would fetch me a pretty penny if I sold it'

-It can use both Pixel and OnePlus camera software. Extra features for free? Yes please.
-It has a price I can afford for an extremely recent top of the line flagship. The same can't be said for Apple.
-Faster charging out of the box
-The 'teardrop' notch is a nice, artistic compromise that further helps my phone stand out in a unique way without being overly flashy about it.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.

- i'm built into the google ecosystem so it just made sense

- cheaper to use

- freedom around apps and to some extent the OS i run ( with custom roms ect )

- generally, have newer features and will test the water more

7 hours ago, quakeguy81 said:

How do you make calls away from home?  I don't think pay phones exist anymore because of cell phones.

I have a normal cell phone...I can still call and text. Its a Pantech P5000.

Because I'm not forced to play by someone else's rules. I refuse to have dictated for me what's good or bad, what I can or cannot do. 

I have the biggest hankering to change my PC to ITX. But I know it's just not worth 250$... Sigh :(

Edit: it's 375$ now and I'm going to do it.

#BringBackLuke

13 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

Because I'm not forced to play by someone else's rules. I refuse to have dictated for me what's good or bad, what I can or cannot do. 

and therefore you are running Linux?

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

and therefore you are running Linux?

I haven't really been exposed to it yet. I'm not against it in any way - in fact, I wish I had the knowledge to use it, and maybe I should learn. But I haven't found windows annoying enough or limiting enough yet for my purposes, and I own a surface pro for notetaking in classes, something I can't do with Linux...

When that surface (which is my main computer now) dies, I intend on switching to a Chromebook (for the cheap price of hardware) and relying heavily on it's growing Linux integration/support/backend.

I have the biggest hankering to change my PC to ITX. But I know it's just not worth 250$... Sigh :(

#BringBackLuke

Just now, SwagMaestro said:

I intend on switching to a Chromebook (for the cheap price of hardware) and relying heavily on it's growing Linux integration/support/backend.

if you are considering Chromebook. id honestly suggest just loading in Linux yourself. the hardware is cheap, because its cheap "meh" at best hardware. 

they are cheap for a reason. The OS isnt the most expencive component

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

if you are considering Chromebook. id honestly suggest just loading in Linux yourself. the hardware is cheap, because its cheap "meh" at best hardware. 

they are cheap for a reason. The OS isnt the most expencive component

Loading it in? To an existing machine, you mean?

My justification for Chromebooks:

They are cheap, but the everyday use is super smooth. My friend lent me an Acer 720P from 2014 that he's been using every day before he switched to a Lenovo 500e (which is also a Chromebook.)

That machine has a Celeron, I think? Or an atom? Can't tell anymore. But it's *butter smooth*, even more than the surface with its nvme and core i5 (even if it's just a dual core). Still receiving updates, and if it had the Linux integration, app support and wasn't broken and touchpadless, it would've been excellent.

#BringBackLuke

I'm just going to add to the chorus of people saying they went with Android because it's cheap.

Currently using the £230 Honor Play. To get such a complete package of a phone for such a low price is something you will not find with iPhones.

I do also happen to prefer the Operating System due to its customisability, the headphone jack is nice, expandable storage etc... But let's say in some alternate universe where Apple phones were the cheap option and Android phones were expensive I would probably go with Apple, so for me, the main reason is the price

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

2 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

That machine has a Celeron, I think?

celeron, because that is what is cheap enough. 

2 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

But it's *butter smooth*, even more than the surface with its nvme and core i5 (even if it's just a dual core). Still receiving updates, and if it had the Linux integration, app support and wasn't broken and touchpadless, it would've been excellent.

in other words. get linux instead of Chromebooks.....