The gaming PC days are NUMBERED! (Sponsored)

JonoT

Thanks to Shadow for sponsoring this video! Get $10 off your first month by using promo code LTT at https://shdw.me/LTT or sign-up to get notified when the service will be available in your area!

Haven't watched the vid, disagree already.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Just another cloud gaming solution. So it might be good for some games, but would not be preferable for anything that is FPS due to the delay in information reaching your machine and then the time it takes for your response to make it back to the machine and then to the server for the game you are playing. It would create a pretty nasty input delay unless this thing was literally within a hundred miles of you.

We need 10 gigabit internet to be mainstream before this becomes a genuine threat to local PC gaming, and for rural areas that's decades away at minimum

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

Looking at my youtube feed... and all the linus ones are as bad as the unboxing dude with the click bait titles.

I'm sure there are statistics that proof that you get more clicks. But tbh i have stopped watching them.

Still watch the WAN show for entertainment and frequent the forums.. but not for the videos anymore :( 

Linus said it himself, this tech is old news. PC gaming hasn't been killed yet, and it likely won't be by something that has thus far failed to supersede it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, leo1798 said:

We need 10 gigabit internet to be mainstream before this becomes a genuine threat to local PC gaming, and for rural areas that's decades away at minimum

It isn't even the internet speed that is the issue. Most consumer connections are capable for this type of solution as long as the server has good upload. The problem is the latency between you and the server. I mean lets say you have a latency of 10 to the server (great) then in an fps game that means you are 10ms delayed on seeing what is happening and then another 10 ms delayed before your inputs are picked up by the server and then whatever the time is for it to reach the game server. So you will always be 20+ MS behind other non-cloud players which doesn't sound like a lot, but in a competitive FPS that delay is often lethal.

One word: "meh." I don't see how this stands out against competitors like Nvidia or the many other alternatives. I'd be even more inclined to use PlayStation's streaming service because of the retro games and Sony exclusives, which is a real added value.

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

One word: "meh." I don't see how this stands out against competitors like Nvidia or the many other alternatives. I'd be even more inclined to use PlayStation's streaming service because of the retro games and Sony exclusives, which is a real added value.

Latency

R7 1700@3.8GHz@1.275V | Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 | 16GB DDR4 @ 2933MHz | RX 580 8GB Nitro+ | Corsair AX860

Only 256 gigs?

it's probably SSD storage but, that's nowhere near enough for most gaming libraries.

Like, games that use 100+gb of storage aren't that rare anymore.

Also, forget doing stuff like adobe premier. While it does have the raw power, there is 1 massive problem: actually getting your stuff in the cloud. This is actually getting a bigger and bigger issue in general as time goes on. The low upload speeds cause people to stay away from the cloud because it's too slow and too big of a hassle to get everything there. It's not just an US thing, it's a problem that is getting more and more common in Europe as well.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I've tested it here in germany with a low latency connection (about 9ms to the Host's public IP via our own AS  -> Telia -> cogent -> blade), a normal Coax uplink (150/10 40-60ms unitymedia -> cogent -> blade) & a VDSL (250/40 22ms german telekom -> hupus -> blade) uplink.

Also tested Mobile connection on Train.... fail.

The wired uplinks worked fine, I've didn't notice any "lagging".

Only downside is, that my w520 & x201 GPU's does not like decoding of the stream, because I can hear the sound of the Hitman shooting, but had a decoding delay of about 300-800ms. So I'm more into this oldschool type of computing and because of that the GPU's Video Engine can't get the performance needed.

Alternativly I also test it on my old AMD Phenom 9750 + ATI HD5770 and on my NUC with i5-5250u, then it works fine.

Also the Steam link was able to run gread with a small hack - Setup a VPN endpoint on your home firewall, configure the VPN target on the shadow system, establish connection, tell the steam link the VPN IP of the shadow... works for me.

And because Valve stop selling their link, the ghost will be an alternative as soon it gets buyable. Hope they bring dual or 3 monitor clients soon. Because I use this as a working setup. In my Main house (weekend) & my work flat I've a fixed monitor setup that I can't carry around 3 times a week and having local computers also does not make any sense. Yes I have laptops, but because of my needs, they can't be newer then 2***/3*** gen cpu's (legacy bios needed).

YEAH BECAUSE CONSOLES ARE THE TRUE MASTER RACE

/s

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

agree to disagree...
this is NOT going to happen by multiple factors, like:
how you wanna pull HDMI quality (18Gbps) thru AT&T/Verizon infrastructure?
why x265 when you are forced to send 60+ I-frames only anyway?

how is it better/acceptable to watch 60 wash-out JPG over crystal clear RAW render?
anyone wanna bet that gaming PC+streaming PC rent will EVER get cheaper than just owning one anyway?
so they run a server; that runs VM; that runs on VM; that runs denuvo VMprotect; that is on VM... clever...

---

This project is already dead as every predecessor. ..., but if we are lucky, in few years time, we'll get a linux open-source code for screen-streaming over your home network.

Cloud gaming should never exist unless you don't play multiplayer games and only if you play games occasionally. Beyond those 2 terms I can't agree with cloud gaming, that said however I think they should stop offering gaming services and should focus on the real deal services computing/rendering etc as shown near the end of the video. Why? Gamers generally don't care if they only have a 1070 (like me) or a 1080 and the brand new 300000080 just came out that is 500x more powerful and costs as much as your house. HOWEVER, those who would greatly benefit from such a service with such a device are video editors like LMG, or designers that require the raw power.

That said I think $35 USD is really expensive for a "computer" on the cloud. My computer is a i5 6600K 32GB ram uncountable TB's (aka I can't be bothered anymore), 1070 FTW along with dual monitors (+1 unplugged lying around collecting dust, should really change that), and a Blu-Ray player that can play(and I think burn) all but triple layered BR-Ds. Guess the price... I dare you guess the price... No? I'll tell you about $2000 CAD, not USD, CAD... The list below includes things that where previously bought for my older build being the drive case and 1 monitor, also about 5 drives too....

The 2100 USD in todays terms based on the 5 years (it's 2 years in) I expect this computer to last would equal about 2800 CAD today.

image.png.85c5541cbf5398a788bdfec8a4e70dd9.png

Also in order to use the service I would have to upgrade my internet connection costing anywhere from $10 a month to $40+ a month.

HDDs currently hooked up (I ain't doing the math): 8,6,2,2,2,2,2,2,.5TB

Edit: Just realized, even if I wanted too I couldn't Canadians not allowed ? What did we do to get all this love put onto us ?

@Egg-Roll If you calculate the systems livetime with 5 years and you use it a lot for gaming ok. Also I'm with you with storage needs and a bit on the Uplink pricing (because all places I go to have good connectivity).

But if you need this kind of resources on the go / multi homed.. you would buy more systems?

2 minutes ago, zENjA said:

@Egg-Roll If you calculate the systems livetime with 5 years and you use it a lot for gaming ok. Also I'm with you with storage needs and a bit on the Uplink pricing (because all places I go to have good connectivity).

But if you need this kind of resources on the go / multi homed.. you would buy more systems?

True, most people look at computers for at least 3/4 years I look at it 5 years. My last computer was 4 years this one is 5 because of the gpu knowing full well the 1070 is powerful enough to last that long.

To their credit 99% of the people won't need more than 256gb because they can always delete and re-download at no additional cost (I bet they have a server like Linus did a while back for popular games to save on bandwidth). For internet connectivity most people don't have super fast internet and those that do would regret using such a service after 1 month with overage fees, the point of this service is mostly home use by the sounds and looks of it, so I judged it as such. If you go to internet cafes owing such a service is equally useless since most cafes have their own pcs.

Your last statement is very true, however if you feel like you need to game on the go I'd assume you're using 4G data and you'll quickly stop or you really don't care about bandwidth for your phone (unlimited has limits via ToS). For multi home, it can depend if you refer being a college/uni dweller and go home it would likely be still cheaper, possibly easier to have a PC that you need to unplug and haul home for 4 months+2 weeks of the year and back again. Mostly due to if you lose internet you can keep working or if your roomie decides to steam 4K it doesn't destroy your pwning, then the risk that your dorm is on Cable which becomes garbage the more people on it locally... The variables are too great to really ever suggest it to anyone, on DSL sure "maybe", cable and 4G? Never, the problem with DSL is line attenuation and SNR, if one changes it could destroy your game play.

This video almost made me ragequit out of the loop...

Comeon LTT... we keep watching because you are NOT the Verge. ?

Not only this would require the servers to be near you, but also your provider should have some sort of priority over those particular data

I am Canadian, so it looks like this isnt for me.  Unless I use a VPN maybe???

They're talking about latency as the main issue here, but honestly that's missing an even bigger issue, on the business side of things. Subscription services like this can't really save you money from not having to buy a gaming PC, regardless of what your connection is like. You're paying perpetually for it, and you'll eventually get to a point where it's better if you just buy the PC. They can't just reduce the price a ton because you're using a cheapo thin client - GPUs cost money, and if every user gets a dedicated GPU, then they have to pass that cost on to the consumer.

3 hours ago, Fez_Boy said:

Haven't watched the vid, disagree already.

Don't bother watching any of his vids, click bait is all it is now, IMHO.

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Linus said it himself, this tech is old news. PC gaming hasn't been killed yet, and it likely won't be by something that has thus far failed to supersede it.

Click bait is alive and real over at Lmans HQ.

The is the new business model, it sucks shit but whatever. We have to deal with it, Office one time install for one pc, 365 monthly, cloud gaming.

5 minutes ago, kuhnerdm said:

You're paying perpetually for it

Like anything the desirability of this solution comes down to whether it's better than what you otherwise have access to. 

I can't see a point in the future when I will be able to afford a 1080 (let alone a 2080 though I guess they'll be going for $50 eventually). If this service was being offered within my region and I was close enough for the latency to be low I'd be interested. I have no doubt I'd be getting better performance than with my current FX8350/RX480 setup. And that's what I've recently upgraded to. I've been playing with lag and low frame rates on old games for years. I'm currently enjoying reasonable performance on ok settings in BF4. 

Typically people only look at these solutions in terms of their own context. 'It doesn't apply to me so it shouldn't exist'. I could get into some BF5 with a bit of latency for a monthly fee. I could also see running a design business from a shared workspace on a cheap laptop and almost no overhead. 

Definitely see a future for this sort of thing but as people have pointed out it's about infrastructure. I'm on unlimited fibre at the arse end of the world so I guess we're getting there.