Video game voice actors give the National Board "the green light" to vote strike if needed

Bouzoo

sag-aftra-new-logo.jpg

I'm sure most of you read about this few weeks ago, and now there's an update.

Few days ago, the Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA), voted with a 96.52% in favor of a strike. What this does, as mentioned in the title, is that it gives the National Board to vote a strike if needed. 

We are pleased to report that the Interactive Media Agreement Strike Authorization Referendum was a resounding success with 96.52% of members voting in favor of the referendum. Voting on the referendum closed yesterday, Tuesday, Oct. 6, and ballots were tabulated by Integrity Voting Systems.

It is important to note that the referendum result does not mean that members are on strike, rather, it gives the National Board the authority to declare a strike. 

A 75% “yes" vote was required to give the National Board that authority. With this result in hand, the Negotiating Committee will seek to return to the bargaining table and continue to press for a fair resolution on behalf of performers working in video games. 

Voice actors are not happy with their treatment, as they want better conditions as well as better payment if the games become successful. Currently, since The Interactive Media Agreement expired on 31. December 2014, the negotiations with publishers such as EA, Activision, Disney and WB are in place, and seems they are not going in the directions that the voice actors want.

As for what they want, it is best if you read it for yourself:

"You might call them residuals, secondary payments, royalties, pay bumps or whatever suits your fancy," the union explained. "It is simply the idea that, if a video game is wildly successful, actors should share in its financial success. There is ample precedent for residual income for actors, yet they've historically been extremely difficult to achieve in this contract. The formula we propose is as follows:

We're asking for a reasonable performance bonus for every 2 million copies, or downloads sold, or 2 million unique subscribers to online-only games, with a cap at 8 million units/ subscribers. That shakes out, potentially, to FOUR bonus payments for the most successful games: 2 million, 4 million, 6 million and 8 million copies."

In addition, the union is proposing that the new agreement tackles concern for "Vocal Stress." That is, a proposal for a two hour limit on "vocally stressful" recording sessions. The group also wants to see stunt coordinators be required on set to assist performance capture actors. What's more, the proposal calls for greater overall transparency in the auditioning process. The union points out that, oftentimes, the actual name of a project is kept secret, and this is not an ideal situation for actors.

If you're on Twitter, you might've seen #PerformanceMatters.

I haven't searched how well paid they are or what their conditions are for some time I won't make comments about that, but if we applied their logic, then almost everyone that was involved in successful games could want a bigger piece. Do you think they are in the right for asking more?

As always, some big names are standing publicly behind it, like Roger Craig Smith (Chris Redfield in Resident Evil), Jennifer Hale (female Shepard in Mass Effect) as well as Will Wheaton whom I saw mostly talking about that.

If the mods think this should go in general discussion, please move it.

Sources: 1, 2

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

welp, looks like silent protagonists are back in guys 

HL3 confirmed? 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Hmmm. Interesting... Though I tend to agree that those bonuses are probably fair, I see this clash ending badly for the voice actors. Since they are not essential to a game (in the way that you can hire some drama students to do the job ) and this industry aint Hollywood.

Plus they are barking at the wrong companies imho.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

so. lets take a minute to think about this.

how hard is the job.  you know.  talking into a microphone
sitting down or standing up.

What is bad about these conditions again ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I don't want to see games become hollywood where the big actors are paid big money but everyone else involved gets paid less than minimum wage. Actors, you're just a component of the product, and in most games you're the least important component.

Hmmm. Interesting... Though I tend to agree that those bonuses are probably fair, I see this clash ending badly for the voice actors. Since they are not essential to a game (in the way that you can hire some drama students to do the job ) and this industry aint Hollywood.

Plus they are barking at the wrong companies imho.

By that logic, your saying that a hollywood production movie like Inside out that employs animation instead of traditional acting, could just go ahead and hire some random people off the street to voice the characters in the movie. What they are asking for is no different from what movie actors ask for in successful franchises. And that's not including the fact these voice actors are regularly overworked and underpaid. Have you ever seen a triple A game be largely successful without any voice actors? I don't even think you can name a game that doesn't have voice actors in them or name one that doesn't need them.

I believe they should be paid a higher base pay for the amount of work they do, especially in dialogue heavy games like Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto, and The Witcher. It takes a lot of skill and effort to convey emotions through just voice and to have your emotions match to how your character is feeling in a game. The royalties are something I don't particularly agree with but are interesting to me as I would like to see how that plays out in their negotiations.

I don't want to see games become hollywood where the big actors are paid big money but everyone else involved gets paid less than minimum wage. Actors, you're just a component of the product, and in most games you're the least important component.

I don't know where you got this preconception from that actors are just a product and least important component in a project. Have you ever seen a successful game or movie without good actors in them? Compare a game to a fully animated movie, the actors are what makes the movie great, not the pretty animations, or the cool CGI. It is the same with games, it's all about dialogue, emotions conveyed, and stories. Graphics are much less important than a deep story and emotionally invested characters

Look at all the parts Troy Baker had and you'll see how hard it can be. It's not only talking in the microphone. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Looks like any up and coming voice actors are gonna get some good roles now, video game companies won't cave to this as it will start a domino effect where almost all employees will either form unions or demand similar benefits to existing unions in other fields close to video game development.

Not to mention this move could potentially kill the careers (video-game wise) of those involved with the union and the strike in question.

The usual. "we want more money for doing the same amount of work, or less work overall". Basically what all Unions want.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The usual. "we want more money for doing the same amount of work, or less work overall". Basically what all Unions want.

Let me correct that for you, "We want more money for doing the same amount of work because we are underpaid and overworked". You're probably one of those people who think unions are a bad thing

Let me correct that for you, "We want more money for doing the same amount of work because we are underpaid and overworked". You're probably one of those people who think unions are a bad thing

Considering their effect on places like Detroit and Chicago, it's not a thought, it's reality. Unionization usually results in businesses closing because they can move to somewhere like China.

While companies generally DO take advantage over their employees, unions are not the solution, as they're usually run by the same kind of people that just want to take advantage over others, and in the end they create a toxic and doomed environment (both the corporations and the unions)

By that logic, your saying that a hollywood production movie like Inside out that employs animation instead of traditional acting, could just go ahead and hire some random people off the street to voice the characters in the movie. What they are asking for is no different from what movie actors ask for in successful franchises. And that's not including the fact these voice actors are regularly overworked and underpaid. Have you ever seen a triple A game be largely successful without any voice actors? I don't even think you can name a game that doesn't have voice actors in them or name one that doesn't need them.

I believe they should be paid a higher base pay for the amount of work they do, especially in dialogue heavy games like Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto, and The Witcher. It takes a lot of skill and effort to convey emotions through just voice and to have your emotions match to how your character is feeling in a game. The royalties are something I don't particularly agree with but are interesting to me as I would like to see how that plays out in their negotiations.

Well, regarding the animation bit, it is not really the same thing. Though you have no real faces, it still leaves or dies by the performances of the actors because there is nothing else. It is a passive form of entretainment. Whereas a computer game has a lot more to it. I see voice acting as something that can make a great game even better (witcher, mass effect et al.) or make a bad game worse (like peter dinklage tired voice in destiny whivh make the game even more insufferable). I don't buy a game because kevin spacey is in it is basically what I am trying to say. And I didn't say random passerbys either!

Regarding actors deserving higher pay, you are probably right and in my post I ahreed that if the game does really well, I have nothing against them having a higher cut.

I was merely giving my opinion that I feel that the actors are going to get a nasty surprise since this industry is not Hollywood. It moves a lot faster and in different ways. My opinion. Just that.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Good, we need new voice actor scabs thrown into the mix. hearing the same male or female voices from game to game is sometimes nostalgic, but sometimes irritating.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Overworked? They have 4 hour workdays. And when the average pay is in the 50 euro neighbourhood, not that underpaid either.

"New media Interactive

This Off-Camera RATE is paid for any single Interactive Platform performance of up to Three Voices during a Four Hour Day. Add $269.75 for each additional voice. The Day Performer RATE for 1 voice / 1 hour is $404.65. "

Edit: Found out the actual rates http://www.voiceoverresourceguide.com/08union.html

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Overworked? They have 4 hour workdays. And when the average pay is in the 50 euro neighbourhood, not that underpaid either.

I always laugh when people in certain unions complain about being overworked. Like actors "oh god, I only made a few MILLION on this movie, waaaaaaa", meanwhile most people live paycheck to paycheck.

Well, regarding the animation bit, it is not really the same thing. Though you have no real faces, it still leaves or dies by the performances of the actors because there is nothing else. It is a passive form of entretainment. Whereas a computer game has a lot more to it. I see voice acting as something that can make a great game even better (witcher, mass effect et al.) or make a bad game worse (like peter dinklage tired voice in destiny whivh make the game even more insufferable). I don't buy a game because kevin spacey is in it is basically what I am trying to say. And I didn't say random passerbys either!

Regarding actors deserving higher pay, you are probably right and in my post I ahreed that if the game does really well, I have nothing against them having a higher cut.

I was merely giving my opinion that I feel that the actors are going to get a nasty surprise since this industry is not Hollywood. It moves a lot faster and in different ways. My opinion. Just that.

Ah, I'm sorry if I came off as insulting your opinion, I didn't mean it like that. I was just saying that successful games without a voiced protaganist are very rare and generally they rely on many other things such as story telling and secondary characters. But my point still stands, just because you are voicing the protaginist it doesn't mean only you should get special treatment and fair hours. I don't believe a game can be successful without good voice actors conveying emotion towards the player, and I mean all characters like how in Mass Effect, Commander Shepard is the protaganist, and his team are the secondary characters. Without the secondary characters the game wouldn't be as emotionally investing.

I believe voice actors play the biggest part in these productions, it takes a large team to make the game, but it takes talented actors to actually pull it off and make it a story to remember. There was a reason why everyone remembers half life 2, it's characters were memorable and it's story were amazing. That wouldn't have happened without the insanely talented voice actors and amazing writers. However, it's a mutual relationship, one can't be successful without the other, especially when they are underpaid and not working up to their full ability.

So what? That doesn't mean that the work they are doing isn't insanely strenuous and dangerous to their health if they are pushed to hard. The difference between voice actors and regular actors is that if they damage their voice because they were doing multiple emotional scenes in a row that were straining their voice. They essentially have no way to earn money, they are out of their job if they damage their voice to the point that they need to be out for months at a time.

That is unacceptable and needs to change

So what? That doesn't mean that the work they are doing isn't insanely strenuous and dangerous to their health if they are pushed to hard. The difference between voice actors and regular actors is that if they damage their voice because they were doing multiple emotional scenes in a row that were straining their voice. They essentially have no way to earn money, they are out of their job if they damage their voice to the point that they need to be out for months at a time.

That is unacceptable and needs to change

And yet we have vocalists on world tours doing way more strenuous work and very rarely having any issues with that.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

In before companies start replacing voice actors with vocaloids.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Now if only game programmers could unionize like this and not live in awful working conditions like most game programmers.

Also for you people saying "oh this job is easy, you just talk into a microphone and make bank".  The voice actors that make THAT KIND OF MONEY are extremely rare, and a majority of them are Japanese.  The less paid people HAVE to keep looking for new work CONSTANTLY, and sometimes new work is not easy to get.

And yet we have vocalists on world tours doing way more strenuous work and very rarely having any issues with that.

I hope you know that those people who do that specifically train themselves in ways to not lose their voices on the road.  There's a reason why Bruce Dickinson doesn't do as long of a scream during The Number of the Beast compared to the studio version.

In before companies start replacing voice actors with vocaloids.

The most likely scenario is the companies caving in. In my opinion it would be far better if the young talent out there would get a fair chance and we'd finally get some fresh VA's.

I know a couple of people who do VO-work, and if you aren't a big time name already or know some really influential people, you're pretty much shit out of luck, and we're talking about Finland alone.

I can't even begin or dare to imagine how it's like in the US.

I mentioned this before on off topic but here's my main beef: Their demands are certifiable ridiculous. It's unreasonable that they want basically a piece of the game profits something most game developers don't even get yet. 

And as I predicted, they're backed by (and more to the point manipulated and controlled by) Hollywood unions that just want to undermine gaming in general. Hardly about poor working conditions only, again something game developers have it much worst at too.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is why unions of today are garbage. It's no longer about what it was; making sure employees weren't abused and are treated fairly. Now, it's just a organization to bully companies into paying outrageous wages and provided ridiculous benefits all to keep work going. I wish we'd get rid of Unions entirely.