There will be a limited supply of AMD R9 390X series cards due to low HBM yields

BiG StroOnZ

Supply of next-generation AMD Radeon R9 390-series graphics cards is expected to be very short initially. A media report suggests that the main reason behind supply constraints is limited availability of high-bandwidth memory made by SK Hynix.

Even though Advanced Micro Devices taped out its code-named “Fiji” graphics processor that powers the Radeon R9 390-series graphics cards in the middle of 2014 and currently its yields should be high, there is a major problem, which could hamper availability of such adapters: yields of high-bandwidth memory at SK Hynix. According to a report from TweakTown, there will not be enough memory available to fulfill AMD’s needs in the coming months.

Our industry sources tell us that there are some hurdles with yields on HBM, which will see a very limited supply of Radeon R9 390X and Radeon R9 395X2 cards right through to the end of the year.

If AMD really has problems with production of its Radeon R9 390-series graphics cards, then it explains why the company wants to release the whole lineup of next-gen adapters at once. On the other hand, the company itself expects its GPU market share to increase after it releases its new graphics solution. If AMD cannot ship enough graphics cards, then its market share will drop, not increase.

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/supply-of-amd-radeon-r9-390-series-may-be-constrained-report/

Source 2: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/44684/amd-radeon-r9-390x-rumored-very-short-supply-launch/index.html

I find this interesting, because Lisa Su claimed in her interview that the reason why release was delayed was because of overstocked inventory and the need to get rid of that inventory first before launching a new product. Which makes a lot of sense. However here, it seems, that the actual reason why the R9 390X is delayed is because HBM yields are low which makes even more sense than too much inventory. I mean AMD's flagship product here is depending on the delivery of HBM. Without it they don't have their product that they intend to release, at least in the way it has been revealed to us. It's unfortunate if this is the case because AMD has a lot riding on the release of R9 390X. Sadly this is an issue with the supplier and not really AMD's fault but it looks like it just another hurdle for AMD to overcome. Hopefully things pan out for them. Limited supply of cards will mean limited sales, which in turn means limited ability to take back control of some of the market. Especially if this card is a winner, and they sell out of stock quickly. It means that it's going to take a long time for those cards to be restocked and if NVIDIA has a product that directly competes with it with a similar price; it means people will turn to that alternative instead. Which is definitely not what AMD wants to happen. 

this isn't exactly news..its pretty obviouse

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

this isn't exactly news..its pretty obviouse

you know the supply chain of graphics cards?

I guess this just means AMD cards will be more expesnive. sad because it wont drive down prices even more. but AMD needs more profit so

i wonder if bitcoin miners will upgrade their rigs making the prices go up again...

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

non news... When has AMD had a decent launch supply in the last 5 years?

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Welp, i guess i'll just crossfire my 290x instead

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

In other words, prepare your wallets if you're planning to buy an R9 390(x).

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I'm not sure how this tech works but I hope AMD or another vendor is able to create a non-reference design with a conventional gddr vram memory controller, much rather have a "gimped" 390 than just hear about this awesome benchmarks of a card I might be able to purchase in 2016 or 17

-------

Current Rig

-------

Will this mean that the 985 could possibly be cheaper than the 390x?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Didn't nvidia plan to use this as well on Pascal? Oh man, they better open more factories for those memories.

It's said they're going to use HBM2

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The 290 and 290X were decent, they just didn't expect all the coin miners to buy them.

Now you can get a 290 for dirt cheap. So I bought three :)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

It's said they're going to use HBM2

its made with the same technology in fact it should show lower yields because of its higher complexity 

Maxwell and the TitanX were all sold out for a bit at first too.

It's very common with flagship GPU's because demand isn't consistently high.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Well,  ima save up and pre-order the card.

If it goes out of stock, I will take a bag of cash and go straight to AMD headquarters

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Maxwell and the TitanX were all sold out for a bit at first too.

It's very common with flagship GPU's because demand isn't consistently high.

Not that common outside NA... Uk usually has good stocks but for Nvidia, not AMD.

Any time I see a launch and people talking about gouging / lack of supply I usually find 3 or more places with a selection of cards for Nvidia, was the same with 680's 780's and Titans of all flavours. AMD, not so much.

Of course, this is only my observation, I have no numbers to back it up.

Obviously at launch there will be limited supplies But I'm talking about degrees of how bad it is... 7970 launch, they only really sorted out supply by the time the 680's landed.

290's were a similar story.. they were like hens teeth for the first 3 months or so. and considering the market share they had for that period.. even with mining, thats not nearly as many cards as Nvidia shifted... They need to sort out so many failing things in AMD..

They need to (IMO

Stop focusing on the low end.. Information trickles down, if the top cards aren't the best people who don't know better just want x or y brand.

They need to get better supplies and logistics for their launches.. Even when they pull a bit of a shocker to Nvidia, it's months before it'll make an impact because no-one can get them.. and by that stage there is another Nvidia card on the horizon.

They need to up the regularity of their driver releases / game profiles.. Smaller and more often beats big rare releases in an industry that moves so fast.

They need to start going in a different direction on their CPU's

All this is shown by their current market share.. Which is abysmal. Can't wait for them to sort their shit out.. My first 3 self builds were all AMD, would love to see them do better but I will not "support the underdog" by getting a sub-par product. (Again IMO, have had issues with last 2 AMD GPU's I've had and keep hearing the same issues from others)

All that said, Nvidia could improve in a few areas too... Their pricing is a bit much as you go up the range.. I Hate the power and voltage limits they impose and I couldn't disagree more with their policy of not allowing 2 different cards in a system for physX, not to mention that they tend to forget slightly older cards in their performance optimizations in each driver.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

i wonder if bitcoin miners will upgrade their rigs making the prices go up again...

If anyone mines bitcoin using a gpu, they're doing it very very very wrong.

I doubt it GPU mining is really hard to be profitable now days, ASICs are the only real way to turn a good profit.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Didn't nvidia plan to use this as well on Pascal? Oh man, they better open more factories for those memories.

Micron's in full swing, but it's tied up until Knight's Landing arrives. Samsung won't be far behind either.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd