Experiences with non-techies

yup.....

damn... for us 0.5 mbyte/s upload is fast :P  what ISP are you on?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

damn... for us 0.5 mbyte/s upload is fast :P what ISP are you on?

lol, very funny....

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

A co-worker of mine was complaning about if frame rate in insurgency, payday 2 and planet side 2. He came in the next day and said "my monitor was running off the integrated GPU. He'd had a GPU for over a year and hadn't been using it. He was very embarrassed because he knew better.

Also a few years ago my dad's home PC was running slowly, mom suggested a bigger HDD to speed it up...

At a Houston ISD TX board meeting an older gentleman mentioned that the meetings would no longer be broadcast on TV and would be internet streaming only and asked why he had to go to facebook to watch it (he thought FB was the internet)

Mom has a nice SLR camera and uses it like a point and shoot ( all automatic settings, it drives me nuts)

I HATE it, when people only compare the internet, smartphones and gadgets to social media addiction.

OH NOES IT'S A DEVICE THAT CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET AND HAS TOUCHSCREE , IT CAN ONLY AND SPECIFICALLY BE USED FOR SOCIAL MEDIA, IT HAS NO OTHER FUNCION EVER!!!!

...every teacher EVER about my T100 transformer Windows tablet.

Some shitty 2007 macbook with OS X 10.5 leopard that is barely able to even boot up?

Nah that's fine. It's a laptop, you can do productive stuff on it.

Did you get out the crayons?

No it was on a whiteboard... There was green, red and black pens though!

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

A co-worker of mine was complaning about if frame rate in insurgency, payday 2 and planet side 2. He came in the next day and said "my monitor was running off the integrated GPU. He'd had a GPU for over a year and hadn't been using it. He was very embarrassed because he knew better.

Also a few years ago my dad's home PC was running slowly, mom suggested a bigger HDD to speed it up...

At a Houston ISD TX board meeting an older gentleman mentioned that the meetings would no longer be broadcast on TV and would be internet streaming only and asked why he had to go to facebook to watch it (he thought FB was the internet) 

Mom has a nice SLR camera and uses it like a point and shoot ( all automatic settings, it drives me nuts) 

I wouldn't be surprised people think Facebook is the internet...  It's got so much publicity, attention and internet traffic.  

A HDD might actually make a difference depending on how full the HDD was already and how fast it spun.  And plugging a monitor into the integrated graphics?

I HATE it, when people only compare the internet, smartphones and gadgets to social media addiction.

OH NOES IT'S A DEVICE THAT CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET AND HAS TOUCHSCREE , IT CAN ONLY AND SPECIFICALLY BE USED FOR SOCIAL MEDIA, IT HAS NO OTHER FUNCION EVER!!!!

Some shitty 2007 macbook with OS X 10.5 leopard that is barely able to even boot up?

I would honestly say though.  I hate Facebook so much! I honestly do!  I just think it pulls you in and makes people dumber!  I used to be a big user of Facebook before I realized I should find people who I can actually talk to, and I should spend less time browsing my feed and more time reading news and books. 

It's helped me a bunch.  But, I understand where you are coming from.   People think touchscreen devices are used for social media I think it's because of all the Television Shows highlighting this and also the fact that a lot of social media-addicted students use them to browse social media because they can't use a computer because they don't know how. 

My sister for example; she uses her iPhone and yet never uses a desktop or laptop system.   She, now can barely use them, she can't open up the browser.  

Yet shes fine using her iPhone.  

This applies to my saying I always like to keep.  Never learn only Microsoft, Cisco or Fortinet etc.  Learn things that YOU can use for YOURSELF.   When you learn for a company you learn THEIR products and not your own.  Learn to develop your own tools, your own systems and don't keep clicking butons to make things happen. 

My father still uses some Nokia phone (non-smart, and yes, he pays a lot for it because noone has stock anymore), but also uses whatsapp on it. 

Dad: "Hey, xy sent me something that says touch me [a button that says touch me ffs] but I don't have a touchscreen, so... can I forward it to you and you try?"

Me: "Sure, we can try that [very sceptical already]."

Dad sends thing

It's a jpg. 

Everything else can be forgiven, but not the last one!

There is no excuse for investing into a good camera and not learning to use it. Using them occasionally on all-automatic settings is okay, they don't yield the best results necessarily, but there are times you don't have time to change settings. Should still know at least something what changing something does...

But oh well... As you all know: "With money does not come brains."

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

My father still uses some Nokia phone (non-smart, and yes, he pays a lot for it because noone has stock anymore), but also uses whatsapp on it.

Dad: "Hey, xy sent me something that says touch me [a button that says touch me ffs] but I don't have a touchscreen, so... can I forward it to you and you try?"

Me: "Sure, we can try that [very sceptical already]."

Dad sends thing

It's a jpg.

I prefer to have an old Nokia over something shitty(most budget phones and iPhones)

Plus, if he doesn't need it, why change?

Non-teche: Help @DigitalHermit, my PC won't work properly.

Me: OK... I'll take a look at it...

PYs8pqv.jpg

hLg5RPD.jpg

drEOsn7.jpg

Me: There's one of your problems... lemme take it in for a while to try and fix it...

Note that that thing is a C2Q system... I'm going to try and resurrect it for the third time... might probably end up getting a new cooler, more RAM, and a new graphics card for it...

There is no excuse for investing into a good camera and not learning to use it. Using them occasionally on all-automatic settings is okay, they don't yield the best results necessarily, but there are times you don't have time to change settings. Should still know at least something what changing something does...

I use programmable auto mode mostly... my subjects are too lazy to wait for me to tune my camera settings...

and it also saves on film....

I prefer to have an old Nokia over something shitty(most budget phones and iPhones)

Plus, if he doesn't need it, why change?

Honestly, he pays over a hundred euros for it, which is in the neighbourhood of the moto e and above the LG Leon. 

Also, he complains about how he can't use all the apps I can use on his phone, and how he loves android and how it's great, so... it's that thing he does where he acts like he knows ALL about tech but then pays six hundred bucks for an APU based desktop with 8 gigs of ram and not even an SSD. 

Well to be fair, 90% of people that bring a connected device into the classroom have twitter or facebook open in another tab. But I get it, they assume anything with a touchscreen = play time. I use to take notes with my phone when my laptop was died or I left it behind. Profs use to try and sneak behind me to see if I was paying attention. One actually kicked me out even after I should him I had google docs open with notes typed down :( (still aced his stupid class. he was not happy about it lol)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Last night my dad was trying to tell me that he hacked the Kinect on our Xbox 360 while it was turned off to check on the house. All on his phone. :/

Keep in mind that this is the same guy who is trying to convince me that my rig (which is running fine) managed to trip a 20 AMP circuit breaker. That's right bitches. My room has a 20 amp breaker.  B)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

In my school, people come more to me than to the school tech support. Because all the school tech support does:

"Just turn it off and on again. If that doesn't work, just give it to us and we will entirely reset the computer to default settings."

Whereas I actually know what the issue is and don't have to take hours to completely reset windows.

Also, found this at my local Walmart ;)

attachicon.gif20151129_162010-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

(Cropped to death because of the 2mb limit)

I feel like lots of people on here (not pointing to anyone) forget that for 80% of people a pentium is, indeed, just enough. Built-in webcam, it being an AIO, that's valid points (although damn, webcam, such 2015) 

The 38 tho

that shit

My mum thinks that if she removes her USB when the PC is off she could lose her data because it's not been safely ejected. Also double clicking on everything.

I do safe removals when I handle important data or stuff that's not mine. I've had data corrputed on drives before, but that was because I goofed.

in my school every classroom (yes even in the freaking fitness for reasons) exept math classes have these prowise board , these boards are perfect for students , the touchscreen works only have the time , slow to navigate and the teacher faces you backwards which makes it ideal for sharing your answers on your tests

Why not just have a projector? Hooked up to a windows tablet, if you REALLY want the touch screen options? 

I mean, have you ever tried navigating a TV with TOUCH? On WINDOWS?

Yeah and I really hate to be so critical about it, but as someone who makes videos and does some photography (I am not nor do I pretend to be a "photographer") I can't stand to see something not being used to it's full potential, she gave me a very nice picture of my niece for Christmas which I have on my desk, BUT the white balance is slightly blue and again I hate being critical especially about a gift but it's like "OMG IT'S SOOOO BLUE!" 

I'm a terrible son

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

A HDD might actually make a difference depending on how full the HDD was already and how fast it spun.  And plugging a monitor into the integrated graphics?

Didn't elaborate on the HDD thing, the computer was probably 8 years old at the time, they got it in 04 and this was back in 2012 I think, I was referring to the issue being the machine as a whole. As for the integrated graphics, I do not understand the whole situation but I believe that his old card must have died and used integrated graphics until he got a new one but forgot to plug the monitor into it? I'm not sure but needless to say even he knew better and was super embarrassed that he did that lol, I just thought it was super funny. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I have 30 amps for upstairs. At 230V, not 110V. That means you can pull 2200w from the wall. I can pull 6900w from the wall.

Still tho. Most people will barely make a 15A breaker sweat. Hell, I bet you can put a 10A breaker in most people's rooms and it won't make a difference. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Still tho. Most people will barely make a 15A breaker sweat. Hell, I bet you can put a 10A breaker in most people's rooms and it won't make a difference. :P

5A for the UK (and other 240v areas)

I have 30 amps for upstairs. At 230V, not 110V. That means you can pull 2200w from the wall. I can pull 6900w from the wall.

wait, not 110V, As in like that is standard where you live, or did you just somehow know he had 110V?

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

wait, not 110V, As in like that is standard where you live, or did you just somehow know he had 110V?

In America, which is where TMC is from (side not he's one state above me), the standard is 110V. And I think they use 220V in Europe? I'm probably wrong there, but you'll only see 220 in america if it's with heavy equipment or some big appliance.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.