Experiences with non-techies

I feel this way everyday talking to people on this forum. You can look at 100 of my last exchanges and find how frustrating it is to speak to non technical people about stuff they don't know anything about, and watch as the hive mind continues on saying things that aren't true. Its quite depressing really.

i heard this story from a friend.

a popular computer store called ramses "the name belongs to ancient egyption king" a guy entered and bought a laptop

the next day he came back to the same store asking for a refund because " the king and the guy are on different relegions"

i heard this story from a friend.

a popular computer store called ramses "the name belongs to ancient egyption king" and bought a laptop

the next day he came back to the same store asking for a refund because " the king and the guy are on different relegions"

I'm building a PC for my brother and the motherboard failed to ship (low stock) so we decided to see if there was anything at the local computer shop. I went in and the following exchange happened:

Me: Do you have any Z97 motherboards?

Employee: Why do you want Z97?

Me: I'm using a K series chip

Employee: No, but we might have one in another location

Employee: *checks computer* yes, [REDACTED] location has several, there's an Asus for $189

Me: *leans in to see screen* There's a Gigabyte for only $120

Employee: Gigabyte is durable but not very fast, if you want speed you should buy the Asus.

Me: What? Motherboards don't affect performance anymore.

Employee: Yes they do.

Me: No, they used to but not anymore.

Employee: *gives me a look that screams "You are an idiot" then proceeds to speak in a similar tone* Yes, they do.

The most ironic part of all that is Gigabyte boards tend to give the best overclocks for Haswell.

Wow, that's actually a pretty significant margin on that low res handbrake test

The most ironic part of all that is Gigabyte boards tend to give the best overclocks for Haswell.

lol I know right! :D  So they guy is trying to get him to pay $70 more for the asus board when according to that test the gigabyte is actually 6% faster!

(I know that is just one test and most are not that significant and different models from those companies will probably not show the same results, but it still reenforced the point that he shouldn't have just blindly claimed one is faster than the other across the board like that)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Being at my Grandpa's for Xmas it reminds me off a few things

>Grandpa buys only dell tablets because he doesn't want compatability issues

>uncle buys a new laptop every year because he doesn't want his tech to fall behind, buys them used from Craigslist

>uncle keeps arguing that WiFi is more efficient than Ethernet

>uncle buys a new laptop every year because he doesn't want his tech to fall behind, buys them used from Craigslist

lol that's not even "non-tech-savvy" - that's just a general logic fail.  Who thinks they should keep up by buying old, used stuff?  :huh:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1000 pages people. What an achievement!

Like I said in a previous post, I reckon that the LMG staff need to make a video for this thread.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1000 pages people. What an achievement!

Like I said in a previous post, I reckon that the LMG staff need to make a video for this thread.

I don't know if they'd do that... what would it be, just reenacting situations?  Seems like it might be seen by some as being smug or insulting on their part; people might think them and all the viewers all feel high and mighty for being so tech smart and look down on all the "stupid people" who aren't :P

I just want to see if the forum crashes if we exceed 32767 posts in a single thread :D

I don't know if they'd do that... what would it be, just reenacting situations?  Seems like it might be seen by some as being smug or insulting on their part; people might think them and all the viewers all feel high and mighty for being so tech smart and look down on all the "stupid people" who aren't :P

I just want to see if the forum crashes if we exceed 32767 posts in a single thread :D

The anime page is at 84030 at the time of posting this... so I'm guessing that they're using unsigned int or unsigned bigint or something bigger...

They should do a CarThrottle-style vid on non-techies...

The anime page is at 84030 at the time of posting this... so I'm guessing that they're using unsigned int or unsigned bigint or something bigger...

They should do a CarThrottle-style vid on non-techies...

sounds good

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Off-topic, but merry christmas you glorious dudes.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Off-topic, but merry christmas you glorious dudes.

And the same to you. Have you been on here the whole tie, reading everything?

I don't know if they'd do that... what would it be, just reenacting situations? Seems like it might be seen by some as being smug or insulting on their part; people might think them and all the viewers all feel high and mighty for being so tech smart and look down on all the "stupid people" who aren't [emoji14]

This forum will crash before then, lol. Last year (when I was more active) it crashed like 3 times in 2 months

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

And the same to you. Have you been on here the whole tie, reading everything?

Unfortunately not, been rather busy with school and what not.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

My dad was trying to convince me last night that the AGP video card in his old computer would shred my 480 or at least give it a run for its money. Like... No, dad, just no. My 3450 would offer that thing a brutal duel when OC'd. Just stahp.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I used to work at a computer shop for IT support and service. Whenever something is wrong with the machine, they'll always ask if it's a virus or not. If the shortcut on the desktop is gone, they would think all of their data on the computer are gone. My mum isn't non-techy but she just double clicks on EVERYTHING she wants to open. That includes links and buttons on the web browser. She would double click on the Google searches to open them too and I got really annoyed watching her using the computer at some point of my life. I have another one but it's not really non-techies. My friend is a photographer but not much of a computer guy so he bought a netbook(yes, those 10-inches) and brought it to college. Apparently he actually used that netbook to edit photo and do his work. I remember him posting a comment which he thinks tiny computer are less powerful(true to some extent).

LOL my mum does the same thing double clicking on evrything and it all opens twice.

nah, couldn't be just unsigned 16 bit that would max out at 65535.  I assume it's a normal (signed 32 bit) integer so we're good until around 2.1 billion :D

Are we at a thousand yet?

No

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

I had a friend that bought a Dell computer to try and game on. <- A fail in it's self... And after installing Battlefield he realized it wasn't ever going to play with acceptable frame rates. So he rang me up asking 'what's wrong with my computer? it wont run the game'. I just suggested to buy a new graphics card, common practice right?, a couple days passed by before he rang again and asked 'WTF, you don't know what you're talking about... it still will not play'. I went over to investigate. He had bought a GTX 670! (Still using the garbage retail computer, dual core, 2 gigs of ram) Not making any remark to the bottlenecked computer I looked at the IO shield, he was still using the integrated graphics... /facepalm He is still using VGA cables on a 1080p monitor too.

My ex did the EXACT same thing

Nobody else is a teckie in my family. When I stay at my fathers I have to get used to 0.5 gb/s or less upload speed lol....

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

All of this is exaggerated.

Not saying Alienware desktops are a good value. But at least don't exaggerate to make your point better.

Thats my point.... He was bragging.

By proprietary I meant they make their own motherboards.

All of the other information is what I was told by him. Thats what makes it funny.... He gave me what he thought the specs were and still thought it was awesome.