Experiences with non-techies

Do you possibly mean 0.5 mb/s, because half a gigabit upload is pretty freaking fastyup

yup.....

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

I had to explain to my dad how that getting a more powerful computer wasn't going to slow down everyone elses internet. I had to drawn 3 pictures...

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

My sister kept getting viruses on her laptop (running Windows 7)

After reinstalling Windows for the so-manyest (<- new word) time I just installer Linux Mint and told her it's the new Windows.

Day fourtysomething: she still hasn't noticed.

Half tempted to do this for my mum, but considering I have to explain most things to her on windows it might not be a great idea...

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Half tempted to do this for my mum, but considering I have to explain most things to her on windows it might not be a great idea...

My mum uses a piece of software that I know does not work on Linux. So that's out of the question for me. She seems happy enough with Windows 10 though, and the "how do I do this?" questions have become less frequent since updating my mum's and my dad's laptops to Windows 10 so that makes me happy too. Windows 10 on other people's computers is thus a noticeable increase in quality of life for me.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

My sister does literally nothing more but browse the web.

Chrome on Linux works the same as Chrome on Windows.

My sister does literally nothing more but browse the web.

Chrome on Linux works the same as Chrome on Windows.

You gotta switch her to Firefox dude. That's where it's at.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Chromium on Linux to me is better than Firefox. Runs better overall.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Chromium on Linux to me is better than Firefox. Runs better overall.

Oh Chromium? Sure. I thought he meant Chrome specifically.

Christian 

Rig Specs:

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Oh Chromium? Sure. I thought he meant Chrome specifically.

I'm not sure honestly. I've never used Chrome on Linux - just Chromium.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm not sure honestly. I've never used Chrome on Linux - just Chromium.

Chrome is pretty bad compared to Firefox on Linux* to me. Really bad settings navigation and every other time I'd use the search bar it'd glitch up. Not anymore with Firefox.

Christian 

Rig Specs:

so one time when i was building my pc i had a friend come over to help me but he brought his other friend who didn't know jack shit about computers. he thought the power supply was the RAM and also thought the GPU was the CPU and i had to kick him out of my house

couple days ago, the Manager of the Service department where i work, came to get some ram from me, nothing out of the ordinary,  couple gigs of ecc. hes like "i think this is the right stuff..one of the techs told me to get it..but im not sure" of course me being helpfull ask what he's putting it in, which conveniently was a server. "are you sure man..i dont think this is right, it doesnt look cool.."  dude, its ecc memory, it doesnt need fancy colored heat spreaders. its the right shit.

god damn manager of the service department doesnt know anything about computers.  he was former sales and they put him in charge cuz the department needed more upselling.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Ok, so my dad got an E-Cigarette for Christmas from his brother. He opens it up and goes 'oooh, an E-Cigarrete. Ive wanted one for such a long time'. Then his brother tells him how to charge it up using the usb connector and so on. My dad then turns to me and says, 'you are the techy one, you can set it up on your PC for me cant you'. In my head I am just thinking of 'smoke weed everyday'. (I am only 14 years old. My dad is nearly 60)

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

god damn manager of the service department doesnt know anything about computers.  he was former sales and they put him in charge cuz the department needed more upselling.

Welcome to the real world of promotion by face fitting not knowledge

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I got her Chromium

Just the default Chrome package has issues with video playback.

Chromium is fine.

Welcome to the real world of promotion by face fitting not knowledge

the former manager was loss prevention before, and although he didnt know a lot, he learned really quick, and actually wanted to learn. it was awesome having him cuz they actually knew where everything was, and they stopped losing shit.  but they made him transfer since they werent getting sales.  now they have somebody whos insanely incompitent, cant keep track of the processors he checks out, but he sells stuff.

sucks cuz i really wanted to move to that department, but i refuse to work under him

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

When people ask if a build with an i7 5960x and a GT 610 is good 0.o

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

That sounds funny m8

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I usually see people think that having a good graphics card = 60fps@4k

So I have seen people with 970's installed in Core 2 Duo rigs, or even pentium 4's.

And then they wonder why all their games run so shitty.

So I have seen people with 970's installed in Core 2 Duo rigs, or even pentium 4's.

Bruh!

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

some people here think that having a graphics card = gaming PC... i.e. buying a 210 for uber AAA gaming...

You're missing the bigger opportunity here:

Step 1: Bring in Pentium Ds

Step 2: Hype up to people who don't know

Step 3: Sell for obscene profit :P

Wouldn't that make him a Best Buy employee?

A co-worker of mine was complaning about if frame rate in insurgency, payday 2 and planet side 2. He came in the next day and said "my monitor was running off the integrated GPU. He'd had a GPU for over a year and hadn't been using it. He was very embarrassed because he knew better.

Also a few years ago my dad's home PC was running slowly, mom suggested a bigger HDD to speed it up...

At a Houston ISD TX board meeting an older gentleman mentioned that the meetings would no longer be broadcast on TV and would be internet streaming only and asked why he had to go to facebook to watch it (he thought FB was the internet) 

Mom has a nice SLR camera and uses it like a point and shoot ( all automatic settings, it drives me nuts) 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

yup.....

damn... for us 0.5 mbyte/s upload is fast :P  what ISP are you on?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.