Experiences with non-techies

I personally like the office analogy. your desk is your RAM and your file cabinet is your HDD/SSD. You could go as far as to say your GPU is your lamp and your soundcard is your ears. :)

I practice the same data storage methodology as HDDs. Put it in the first available space that is big enough :)

Every now and again I defragment my storage (aka tidy up the room).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

[removed]

Technically they do, but not in any meaningful way.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Technically they do, but not in any meaningful way.

Care to explain?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

Care to explain?

Better power delivery means slightly better overclocks, better trace layout means less latency (because the signals have less distance to travel).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Better power delivery means slightly better overclocks, better trace layout means less latency (because the signals have less distance to travel).

Ah true. Although the trace layout would probably just be like 1 ms differences. I guess that's why GG said not in any meaningful way lol

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

Just to today.

Some 6666 number calls like over 5 time over the last few days.

Heavy accent east indian man:

Hello, i'm with Dell and I've detected that your computer is running slowly. I would like to take access to your computer and fix the problem.

Me:

Yah, I call horseshit. I know Dell doesn't track that, good bye "click"

ltt should do a Chanel superfun video where nicky'v calls some computer scammers and Trolls them hard!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Ah true. Although the trace layout would probably just be like 1 ms differences. I guess that's why GG said not in any meaningful way lol

When you're sending thousands of draw calls to the GPU per second, adding a nanosecond (it definitely isn't as much as a millisecond :)) to each one would be almost noticeable by the GPU (assuming not all of them can be processed in parallel).

Less than 30 replies away from 1000 pages and 20000 posts!

I was at Best Buy (all the best ones start at Best Buy, don't they?) and I was looking for open backed headphones and a mousepad. (Best Buy has poor selection in headphones btw.) This older man was looking at gaming mice, and after overhearing him talking to another shopper, I could tell he was a little overwhelmed. I stalled the simple task of choosing a mousepad to give him a chance to ask for help if he wanted it. After a while, I just decided to take my mousepad and go. As I walked off, I saw him pick up the mousepad I chose and say something like "This one's probably good, cheap too."

I hope he hadn't actually bought the mousepad thinking it was an actual mouse in the end.

When you're sending thousands of draw calls to the GPU per second, adding a nanosecond (it definitely isn't as much as a millisecond :)) to each one would be almost noticeable by the GPU (assuming not all of them can be processed in parallel).

Technically, yes. But it's so little you might as well say there's no difference. Overclocks are more dependent on the quality of the silicon you get and traces have such a minimal impact that neither could make the Asus worth an additional $70 over the Gigabyte. Not to mention the way he talked to me was plain rude.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

In one of my classes  I talk to this 9th grader who is genuinely interested in computers but is as dumb as a rock when he tries to talk specs or how computers work in general.  So one day I walked in swinging my keys around on my lanyard, to which i had a broken pentium D turned into a keychain on it.  He grabbed it and looked at me saying is this a real cpu?!  I said yes but saw the opportunity to mess with him.  As dramatically as i could I told him "That, is a pentium D that i just turned into a keychain for fun!'  The look on his face was priceless because i made this sound like it was some high end processor even though i have like 9 of them and a few xeons in my CPU bin.  I proceeded to pull this hyping up a pentium to about 5 other people before i just gave away the keychain to someone who actually knew it was crap.  So now my plans are to come into school with old processors every week and make them sound like something special!

My Friend: Eh buddy! You think your so good at building computers? Well, I just built my own! In under 2 hours!

Me: Cool. Nice to know that more and more people are building their own computer.

My Friend: What?! You mad I didn't buy from you?!

Me: No... It is less work for me.

My Friend: What?!

Me: Yeah I don't really care....

My Friend: Well, I bet I can build faster than you?

Me: When you beat my record of 40 minutes, with good cable management, we'll talk.

My Friend: Pfft. I can run circles around him..

The next day:

*I take my friend to my shop, and provide him with parts*

Me: Alright, starting in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Go! *My "co-workers" gather around me and him*

30 Minutes later:

*I boot into Windows*

Me: just gotta finish up my cable management!

*I finish up my cable management*

Me: DONE!

My Friend: *Still installing the GPU* Damn it! Your a Dick Weasel.

Me: What the hell is a Dick Weasel?!

My Friend: I dunno. Hey, you know, your pretty good at this, could you ah... teach me?

Me: Why not.

###END OF STORY###

That may not of been as interesting as my other stories (aside from "Dick Weasel"), but I though I might as well type it.

My Friend: Eh buddy! You think your so good at building computers? Well, I just built my own! In under 2 hours!

Me: Cool. Nice to know that more and more people are building their own computer.

Me: When you beat my record of 40 minutes, with good cable management, we'll talk.

The next day:

Me: Alright, starting in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Go! *My "co-workers" gather around me and him*

30 Minutes later:

*I boot into Windows*

My Friend: I dunno. Hey, you know, your pretty good at this, could you ah... teach me?

###END OF STORY###

That may not of been as interesting as my other stories (aside from "Dick Weasel"), but I though I might as well type it.

cool story. I gotta say, its really unimpressive to say you managed to build a computer. I mean choosing the parts is one thing, thats more impressive as it takes some thought and some technical knowledge, however the actual construction is stupidly easy unless you water cool. Its pretty much that game babies play where they match the shape of the block to the hole. Most things can only fit in one space, and things like ram sticks and video cards that have multiple possible slots, usually are all equally valid slots to place them in. When I built my first pc, i did it with no tutorial, and I'm fairly certain my 8 year old cousin could too. No disrespect to you of course, it takes practice and confidence to build a pc in 40 minutes, but being able to build a pc at all given unlimited time really only proves that you have a brain and two hands.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

In one of my classes  I talk to this 9th grader who is genuinely interested in computers but is as dumb as a rock when he tries to talk specs or how computers work in general.  So one day I walked in swinging my keys around on my lanyard, to which i had a broken pentium D turned into a keychain on it.  He grabbed it and looked at me saying is this a real cpu?!  I said yes but saw the opportunity to mess with him.  As dramatically as i could I told him "That, is a pentium D that i just turned into a keychain for fun!'  The look on his face was priceless because i made this sound like it was some high end processor even though i have like 9 of them and a few xeons in my CPU bin.  I proceeded to pull this hyping up a pentium to about 5 other people before i just gave away the keychain to someone who actually knew it was crap.  So now my plans are to come into school with old processors every week and make them sound like something special!

You're missing the bigger opportunity here:

Step 1: Bring in Pentium Ds

Step 2: Hype up to people who don't know

Step 3: Sell for obscene profit :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I know, I do! Lol

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

cool story. I gotta say, its really unimpressive to say you managed to build a computer. I mean choosing the parts is one thing, thats more impressive as it takes some thought and some technical knowledge, however the actual construction is stupidly easy unless you water cool. Its pretty much that game babies play where they match the shape of the block to the hole. Most things can only fit in one space, and things like ram sticks and video cards that have multiple possible slots, usually are all equally valid slots to place them in. When I built my first pc, i did it with no tutorial, and I'm fairly certain my 8 year old cousin could too. No disrespect to you of course, it takes practice and confidence to build a pc in 40 minutes, but being able to build a pc at all given unlimited time really only proves that you have a brain and fwo hands.

Yeah, I wouldn't of done this with any other person but this is that "ignorant and asshole-ish" friend that almost every friend group has.

I just wanted to put him in his place.

Although I do get what your saying, and it is stupidly easy to build a computer, almost to the point that an ignoramus could do it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/3y3qq8/t420_icore5_500gb_intel_graphics_the_sims_4/

>iCore5

>Word salad title

>OP says he's a Mac guy

>Didn't properly research before buying a T420

jontron_nightshade_reaction_gif_by_metro

Are we at a thousand yet?
Why yes, we are!

Merry Christmas, folks.

It's times like this that make me realize that I should stop staying up late to shitpost on /k/ and go to sleep.

I'll see you people tomorrow.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

I'm building a PC for my brother and the motherboard failed to ship (low stock) so we decided to see if there was anything at the local computer shop. I went in and the following exchange happened:

Me: Do you have any Z97 motherboards?

Employee: Why do you want Z97?

Me: I'm using a K series chip

Employee: No, but we might have one in another location

Employee: *checks computer* yes, [REDACTED] location has several, there's an Asus for $189

Me: *leans in to see screen* There's a Gigabyte for only $120

Employee: Gigabyte is durable but not very fast, if you want speed you should buy the Asus.

Me: What? Motherboards don't affect performance anymore.

Employee: Yes they do.

Me: No, they used to but not anymore.

Employee: *gives me a look that screams "You are an idiot" then proceeds to speak in a similar tone* Yes, they do.

That's why I dislike local computer stores. They would only sell me parts for ridiculous prices and they'd always act like they know way more than me.

I asked for DDR2 memory, and they said that DDR3 was faster.

I said that the PC I wanted to upgrade needs DDR2

And then the guy said DDR3 is backwards compatible and also works in a DDR2 computer and proceeded trying to sell me 1*2GB DDR3 laptop memory for €80

Note that he was trying to sell me laptop memory while I clearly asked for desktop memory

The next day:

30 Minutes later:

*I boot into Windows*

###END OF STORY###

I don't really see how the speed of building a PC influences anything.

It's not like the PC is gonna work faster if you build it faster.

My record would be around a hour I guess.. Never looked at the time.

Thousand pages... wow...

And now for a non-techie story:

I brought my Edifier 2.1ch speaker to a party disassembled and left it for the others to assemble... a task which consists of plugging in the white RCA jack to the white RCA socket, plugging in the red RCA jack to the red RCA socket, plugging in the unit to the mains and turning it on...

I left the party to gather more food and supplies and returned 5 hours later only to find out that they haven't touched the thing since they didn't know how to do it...

Thousand pages... wow...

And now for a non-techie story:

I brought my Edifier 2.1ch speaker to a party disassembled and left it for the others to assemble... a task which consists of plugging in the white RCA jack to the white RCA socket, plugging in the red RCA jack to the red RCA socket, plugging in the unit to the mains and turning it on...

I left the party to gather more food and supplies and returned 5 hours later only to find out that they haven't touched the thing since they didn't know how to do it...

So many people can't seem to plug simple, clearly shaped and color-coded cables into corresponding plugs... Can those kind of people even complete the kids' puzzle where you have to match shapes?

*Not aimed at people you were with, but people who can't seem to be able to plug anything correctly, and either give up or brute force the cables in.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm building a PC for my brother and the motherboard failed to ship (low stock) so we decided to see if there was anything at the local computer shop. I went in and the following exchange happened:

Me: Do you have any Z97 motherboards?

Employee: Why do you want Z97?

Me: I'm using a K series chip

Employee: No, but we might have one in another location

Employee: *checks computer* yes, [REDACTED] location has several, there's an Asus for $189

Me: *leans in to see screen* There's a Gigabyte for only $120

Employee: Gigabyte is durable but not very fast, if you want speed you should buy the Asus.

Me: What? Motherboards don't affect performance anymore.

Employee: Yes they do.

Me: No, they used to but not anymore.

Employee: *gives me a look that screams "You are an idiot" then proceeds to speak in a similar tone* Yes, they do.

I hate people like that.

Ignorant and think they know everything.  Passion, Dedication and Humbleness get you far, not ignorance, ignorance, ignorance.  

I was setting up the network and web servers and also developed a Website for my local computer store.  This was done for a mere $50, but hey I thought it was work experience. 

Those guys had a strange look on their face.  I assume it was because I'm 16, and am setting up a network and website for a bunch of experiences computer technicians.  

That's not the point the point is I got the firewall configured (used IPFire on an old server they had) and I set up the webserver which was CentOS I guess it was out of pure laziness because I couldn't be bothered having to get called again because they don't know how to use the linux command line. 

Anyways, I set up the web server, and opened the ports for it in the firewall.  (the router is behind the firewall and the server is also behind the firewall, so its 'sort' of like a DMZ) 

AND THOSE ARROGANT GUYS TURNED OFF THE FIREWALL!?!?  I have no idea why?!?  They turned off a hardware firewall... On a business, that is not a good idea.  

They told me that the manager did it because I don't know he thinks he's pretty badass with his no antivirus epic skillz and his no-needing firewall because hes the ultimate h4x0r.  

They also removed the AVG business protection THEY BOUGHT and I installed for them, because they have another two stores in the city so they could manage it all from one place.  

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if they got data stolen or whatever.  I got paid my $50 because I at least made them a pretty good looking website which is right now mysteriously down.  I don't care anymore.   

Less than 30 replies away from 1000 pages and 20000 posts!

I was at Best Buy (all the best ones start at Best Buy, don't they?) and I was looking for open backed headphones and a mousepad. (Best Buy has poor selection in headphones btw.) This older man was looking at gaming mice, and after overhearing him talking to another shopper, I could tell he was a little overwhelmed. I stalled the simple task of choosing a mousepad to give him a chance to ask for help if he wanted it. After a while, I just decided to take my mousepad and go. As I walked off, I saw him pick up the mousepad I chose and say something like "This one's probably good, cheap too."

I hope he hadn't actually bought the mousepad thinking it was an actual mouse in the end.

If he bought the mousepad, its not your problem.  It's his problem, but if it was me I would have asked him anyways.  But that's just me, don't worry about other's copying your actions and failing.  It's not your fault, its a good idea to help but don't get worried about it. 

Haha, good one I would do the same! 

But seriously though, there are some people at my community college that I actually have tought and tutored.  I find it great because it gives me experience and I love teaching other's.   There was this guy everyone hated because he was apparently a power hungry moron. 

I knew he was just low on self-esteem.  

I tought him about networking, told him he was a badass and helped him with basic programming.  He's excelled so much and is awesome now.  He's a bit arrogant but that's okay as long as it's within the realm of confidence. 

My advice from this is to never let up on opportunity to help those who want to learn.  The people I've trained have been loyal to me ever since. 

The next day:

30 Minutes later:

*I boot into Windows*

###END OF STORY###

I built a PC for someone, gave them a graphics card and RAM because I thought they were my friend. 

They said I failed at it when I knew the board was faulty.  Their explanation: " got a cord wrong".  What the hell does that mean!?!

I've built servers and firewalls and my own computers, I know how to build a computer.

None the less he abandon my friendship like a lot of people do.  But I don't care.  

I'm saying this because its an ultimate failure of trying to get someone to pay an extra $500 after they build a working pc for you lol for repair fees.  

Here's my story for the 1000TH PAGE WOO!!!

Went to a friend's house a while back to fix their 'gaming' computer that keeps crashing. Turns out its an old Dell Vostro, and the processor was sitting at around 100C idle (Core i3). Wow. All I did was open the back panel (with a cloud of dust) to see the entire heatsink fan was practically jammed with grime. Cleaned it out and went to a better-ish ~70C idle and a burn test didn't take it over 100C again. Not exactly non-techie but I will admit I spent a solid hour running performance tests before I just turned on HWMonitor to find the problem...

Merry Christmas all!

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

I'm already on that, just have to wait for the 2nd semester to start up and then i'm going to sell cpu keychains for like $10!  I know the 9th graders will buy them because i already sold them a ton of cheap cat toy laser pointers.  But in all respect i have been helping that 9th grader I first mentioned with actually learning how computer hardware works instead of just thinking that a higher price must mean its better.