Experiences with non-techies

I get 13.14 up and .96 down ;'( So I have it worse than you!!!! Wait.. That's a bad thing... Crap!

Anways, for my story. My mom wants me to upgrade her pc. Fair enough.

So Dad gives approval, and what weird she made me first clean out her pc (with malawarebytes)

So I did.

Then, I show her the list, (which was kind of expensive). She of course said that was was too expensive (which I wouldn't blame her to say that)

So then I come up with a 120 dollar list which has: A pentium G3258, mobo, and 2gb of extra ram (she has 2gb of ddr3) and a ssd.

Then I tried explaining how it was a good upgrade, as it's upgrading the internals from a sandy bridge i3 (Which is really slow) and she said that is too expensive. (120 bucks)

Now she keeps complaining how her pc is slow as fuck and it's my fault for installing viruses on it when i was young which I cleaned off when I was a techie.

Don't get the SSD

I'm pretty sure she won't benefit from the SSD

And which type of i3 is it? My previous build had an i3 530 @2.93ghz

It wasn't gonna boast 4k gaming, but it ran very smoothly doing anything not gaming related.

Just reinstall the OS or something, that i3 and 4gb of ram supplied me for a long time, and I played GTA V on that with decent framerate.

I got my friend to switch from console to PC on Christmas of 2014 after i completely switched to PC a few months prior. About a week after he built it we somehow got into a conversation where his steam download speeds were brought up, and he asked me in a completely serious way ,"How can I overclock my RAM to make steam download my games faster?". I had brought up my overclocking endeavors before, but I honestly have no clue how he made the connection on his own that RAM somehow affects internet speed and that you can just make your internet go faster.

Its a year later but I still haven't let him forget about that one, and now whenever there are any issues with any of my circle of friends PCs, the first thing we say is "Have you tried overclocking your RAM?".

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

lol, very funny....

I'm not joking; our speed is (supposedly) 25 down and ~2.5 up, so getting half a megabyte per second upload would be fast :D

*snip*

Is that, a rolled up layer of dust on the bottom?  Like, a solid rug of it? :P

Would someone please explain to me the word "costed ".  At first I just assumed it was someone whose first language wasn't English but I have seen it so many times from so many different people that that is in doubt . Is it a new form of an old word, that all the 'hip young things' are using; or is it just really some sort of mass misspelling of the word cost?

Either it's people who mean to just say "cost" and don't know the past tense, or they are referring to "costing" an item which means to figure out the cost.  You could say you "costed the distillation tower" to be $X for example

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Is that, a rolled up layer of dust on the bottom?  Like, a solid rug of it? :P

Yes... It's standard dust + dog hair...

that got accumulated over several years...

It shouldn't have been that bad then I remembered that I f*cked around with the fan config of the case... so it's partly my fault... but also the owner's fault for not cleaning...

we bought some chemicals from our in town pool place (really small town) and the owner was gone. the place right beside it is a handwash carwash (this shows its a really small town) and he works at the pool supply place when not washing cars. my mom forgot cash so he had to use a computer with a separate machine that is used to swipe cards. so he works here but doesnt know how to use it so i had to check our items out.

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

I'm not joking; our speed is (supposedly) 25 down and ~2.5 up, so getting half a megabyte per second upload would be fast :D

I got all of you beat!

Before I upgraded, I got 0.65 down! (up I forgot)

Now that I've upgraded, I get 3 down and 0.71 up!

I enjoy watching youtube at 720p now.... I never realized how shit 360p looks

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Actually, almost every atx psu will have over current protection. For example: the 12v rail is rated at 50 amps, and you draw 55 amps, the psu will then shut down.

That's exactly what I said in the last line. "However, I should think that PSUs have safety measures that shut power off if it gets too high."

What I was saying was that it's all totally passive. The PSU will deliver whatever the components demand. In a hypothetical situation where you have a PSU which is not rated to deliver the power your components need, and it does not have over current protection, it will not slow your system down or bottleneck it. It will just explode.

Either it's people who mean to just say "cost" and don't know the past tense, or they are referring to "costing" an item which means to figure out the cost.  You could say you "costed the distillation tower" to be $X for example

Yeah I got the 'figure out the cost" = "costed" thing.  But it was more your first example I meant, was it people who didn't know the past tense of cost was cost or was it a deliberate mass misspelling?

C.F.  lel

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

-snip-

Is this saying nope or open? :)

Edit: maybe it is read as Nopen...

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I work in the math resource center as a tutor for my university. We have desktops with 4770's, and 4g of ram. I feel your pain.

Poor you, my school is full of PCs ranging from i7-2600s-i7-4790ks, all with 6-12GBs of RAM. They are all Dell but hey, i7-4790ks lol,, Our CAD PCs I think may be custom with 5820k's w/ 32GBs of RAM but have yet to confirm it. Oh we also have a few dozen iMacs.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Oh we also have a few dozen iMacs.

Probably the worst performing computers in the bunch lol (given the generally underwhelming specs and the thermal throttling in the i7 models)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You got a problem with the way I type?!

I can still do over 70 words per minutes even with just two fingers, which is more than fast enough.  <_<

In any case, people who automatically blame you for all their issues, just because you fixed their computer, one time, 5 years ago. So obviously any and all issue they have afterward is your fault, according to their flawless logic. :rolleyes:

80-100WPM Depending on the day use just my two fingers and right thumb to press the space bar

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Probably the worst performing computers in the bunch lol (given the generally underwhelming specs and the thermal throttling in the i7 models)

We also have a few dozen PCs actually with Q6600s though these are in the upper floors of the library where basically they are used only for checking grades and printing papers. I think the most technical thing I have seen someone do on them is open up MS Paint haha.

Though I avoid the Macs because.. OSX. Also recently went to my school store and they are like sponsored by Apple or some shit because we get some deals on everything Apple and well I was on the iPad Pro and it is so uncomfortable to hold lol.

Friend bought a Razer K70 Chroma

wat? (Does he think his k70 RGB is made by razer? Or does he think that his razer keyboard with fake cherry mx switches is a k70?)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

We also have a few dozen PCs actually with Q6600s though these are in the upper floors of the library where basically they are used only for checking grades and printing papers. I think the most technical thing I have seen someone do on them is open up MS Paint haha.

Though I avoid the Macs because.. OSX. Also recently went to my school store and they are like sponsored by Apple or some shit because we get some deals on everything Apple and well I was on the iPad Pro and it is so uncomfortable to hold lol.

The PCs in my school work really well, as they're just used for web browsing and printing

Doesn't Apple have some sort of program to discount stuff to schools? I've held an iPad Pro at a Best Buy before. It's light enough to hold with one hand (unlike a lot of 2 in 1s) but a bit too large to hold with one hand because of space. I think that was one of the worse decisions as the only thing the pro has is a bigger screen, more performance, and a special stylus.With the price to match both...

I really don't know what the pro can do what an air can't. You're getting the same limited mobile apps with all platforms...

Thanks, Apple...

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Help my grandmother with all of her passwords and every time i go to her house. " what's my Amazon Prime password, honey?" "what's my itunes password?" what's my icloud password? THEY ARE THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

VlQgpV0.png

Found this installed on my computer just now. Pretty much sums up dealing with my entire family.

I'd compare AMD and Intel kind of like Android and iOS, but for CPUs

Don't get the SSD

I'm pretty sure she won't benefit from the SSD

And which type of i3 is it? My previous build had an i3 530 @2.93ghz

It wasn't gonna boast 4k gaming, but it ran very smoothly doing anything not gaming related.

Just reinstall the OS or something, that i3 and 4gb of ram supplied me for a long time, and I played GTA V on that with decent framerate.

The pc is really old. The hard drive is either incredibly slow, or it's been clogged with a lot of shit, either way, it takes 2 minutes to boot windows, then it takes awhile to be functional. The ssd is really a luxury item, but more ram would definitially help.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

The hard drive is either incredibly slow, or it's been clogged with a lot of shit, either way, it takes 2 minutes to boot windows, then it takes awhile to be functional. 

That is exactly the type of thing that an SSD will make a massive improvement on - like, pretty much obliterate the problem completely.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The pc is really old. The hard drive is either incredibly slow, or it's been clogged with a lot of shit, either way, it takes 2 minutes to boot windows, then it takes awhile to be functional. The ssd is really a luxury item, but more ram would definitially help.

More ram doesn't speed up the boot proces...

Replace the hard drive or something, an i3 can't be that slow, even the first generation.

Even a pentium 4 manages to boot Windows 7 within a minute.

Except if you upgrade from 512mb to 16gb or so.

Unless you have so little that the computer starts swapping the second Windows starts :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II