Experiences with non-techies

Unless you have so little that the computer starts swapping the second Windows starts :)

except the PC that is talked about here had 2GB of DDR3, even on my C2D 2GB of DDR2 is more than enough to not cause boot problems, I installed a SSD on that PC because I was tired of it taking more than a minute to boot and be usable, 4GB of RAM wouldn't have speed up boot time, at ALL.

So ... yeah, SSD for boot time, even cheap 300$ laptops have 4GB of RAM nowadays!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 situations: 

A friend of mine told me of a situation when he was working at a call center.

The client calls : My computer is slow !!!

My friend: Did you try closing all the windows.

Client: Wait a second.

Loud sounds of closing windows around the house.......

One of my funniest situation. It was last year.

3 am. A manager from the company thats my biggest client calls.

Manager: N. its a big problem the icon for the program dissapeared. How to get it back?

Me: Ok. First open my computer.

Manager: Wait a second.

Me: Waiting for 30 sek. Waiting for a minute. Waiting for 2 minutes. What happened?

Manager: Where is YOUR computer I cant find it.

Me: Send a car to take me in 10 minutes...............

This isn't exactly on topic, but i went to an apple store and asked the guy how much a mac that could play new games would cost. He looks at me and says " ARE YOU CRAZY? BUILD YOURSELF A GAMING PC! ITS FASTER AND CHEAPER." Needless to say, i think i made a scene at how hard I was laughing.

2nd one: My friend called me on skype for a computer issue, He says his graphics broke. He turns on the camera to his phone, takes out the processor from his computer and starts waving it around saying "This piece of crap broke!" BTW: He's a computer major in college -_-

3rd one: Same guys as above. "Colton, What can i do to make my dell run faster?" Me: "Well, you can buy an ssd and put a better graphics card in it." Him: "Ok bro, I gochu"

*Goes to bestbuy to buy graphics card, sees really cool keyboard (Black widow chroma) and buys that instead* Me: "So you got the graphics?" Him: "No, i bought this really cool keyboard for $200 though!"

4th one: Same guy, AGAIN.... 

This is our text convo.

Him: Colton, I have this broken USB drive and i cant get data off of it.

Me: Didn't you just say it was broken?

Him: Yeah.

*Leaves and ignores chat*

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

snip

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

The pc is really old. The hard drive is either incredibly slow, or it's been clogged with a lot of shit, either way, it takes 2 minutes to boot windows, then it takes awhile to be functional. The ssd is really a luxury item, but more ram would definitially help.

Hey buh, ya think 2 mins is a bad boot time. My last PC (which I only got rid of 6 months ago) had a boot time or 4 mins and more. That was a slow thing but now my new PC boot time is a mere 30 seconds at the most. Yay :)

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Hey buh, ya think 2 mins is a bad boot time. My last PC (which I only got rid of 6 months ago) had a boot time or 4 mins and more. That was a slow thing but now my new PC boot time is a mere 30 seconds at the most. Yay :)

30 seconds so much?! :D

VlQgpV0.png

Found this installed on my computer just now. Pretty much sums up dealing with my entire family.

I know Hangout sucks but geez man :P

OT: walked into my office and saw a laminator snapped in half with a half-laminated piece sticking out. It had a note next to it that said "Lenny the Laminator got hungry". FML

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Poor you, my school is full of PCs ranging from i7-2600s-i7-4790ks, all with 6-12GBs of RAM. They are all Dell but hey, i7-4790ks lol,, Our CAD PCs I think may be custom with 5820k's w/ 32GBs of RAM but have yet to confirm it. Oh we also have a few dozen iMacs.

Just go into the 5820K's file explorer and it will show how much ram they have. That is of course if you were able to access them. So r ya?

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

30 seconds so much?! :D

Ok, spill the beans. What is ur boot time?...

My Rig:

My PC boots in 10/15 seconds, with a mechanical drive.

OT: walked into my office and saw a laminator snapped in half with a half-laminated piece sticking out. It had a note next to it that said "Lenny the Laminator got hungry". FML

Hahaha that legitimately made me LOL

yeah, 2 minutes is unbearably bad, but what's worse is the fact he said it takes a while to be usable after booting & logging on.  That used to be a common thing with Windows installs that had been around too long; logging on and just generally everything would get slower and slower over time until you had to reinstall, but that problem went the way of the VHS when we got SSDs

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just go into the 5820K's file explorer and it will show how much ram they have. That is of course if you were able to access them. So r ya?

I can just go into system information though I don't have access to those rooms.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Linux....

I was actually confused by that quote until I replaced Linux with "Linus."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Much faster 5-10 I think (I start counting when Windows actually boots not the mobo stuff)

FML ...

A friend of mine tried to "copy me" by making a HTPC off an old C2D (got a bunch of old Dell Optiplex 755 SFF and gave him one), The problem with those things is they don't have HDMI out, so I got a low-profile video card (bought a used HD5450) and it works perfectly well.

He's a bit paranoid and doesn't trust any forums buy/sell sections or classified website (got my 5450 from a hardware forum), so he didn't listen to me and got a GT 610 with a low-profile bracket in a BestBuy and ended up paying almost 60$ ...

The card doesn't work in the Optiplex somehow (I didn't offer to troubleshoot it ... lol), so since it doesn't work but he knows that what I did worked he asked me this;

friend : JP

me : ME

JP - hey, you have spare GPUs with HDMI?

ME - nah, if I had I wouldn't have bought the HD5450 now would I??

JP - oh .. yeah! What about the GPU in your desktop?

ME - Yeah it has HDMI, but no way we're swaping that out!

JP - but you told me it only has 1GB and that you paid 50$ for it!

ME - *sigh* ... no, not swaping ... plus it's not a low profile card ...

JP - ah yeah, forgot about that!

ME - *facedesk*

So he thinks his GT 610 is better than my HD7770 because the GT 610 has 2GB of VRAM ... That happened today and I'm still speechless!!!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

One day I was having issues with my laptop displaying stuff on a second screen that wasn't there. The IT team fixed it and said They "updated the display drivers" I checked and CCC was not updated or even reinstalled. I assume they clicked the "Detect" button in the Screen Resolution settings.

Classic school IT team. Very few of the clan know what the problems are.

I helped fix a Chinese exchange student's computer which was running ridiculously slow. The culprit? 3 active antiviruses. The reason? She didn't even know what antivirus was.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

More ram doesn't speed up the boot proces...

i know, its there is shit loading in the background and it takes awhile until it's usable where it can actually do anything; for all the software and drivers to initialize, so I think more RAM would help with it in that sense, but not boot times. 

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

i know, its there is shit loading in the background and it takes awhile until it's usable where it can actually do anything; for all the software and drivers to initialize, so I think more RAM would help with it in that sense, but not boot times. 

The massively better random IO speeds of an SSD are what is going to make a huge difference in that area.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The massively better random IO speeds of an SSD are what is going to make a huge difference in that area.

Yeah, a huge difference. Coupled with 2-4 more gb ram as opposed to 1.86gb usable (which is about less than 512mb after windows and other programs and drivers eat that). So, I think both would be a huge upgrade over that PC.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

I had used an old RAM stick as a key chain this morning and one of my classmates said RAM make a computer faster, which could be true until a point.

I can set up an apache and do stuff like that around linux, but i kind of am a noob when it comes to anything but ubuntu.

i wish i had the time to sit down and formally teach myself linux beyond the basics. its a great system and really i wouldnt mind moving entirely over to it if i was more skilled in it and steam wasnt an issue.

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

I had used an old RAM stick as a key chain this morning and one of my classmates said RAM make a computer faster, which could be true until a point.

RAM is required in a computer, period.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i wish i had the time to sit down and formally teach myself linux beyond the basics. its a great system and really i wouldnt mind moving entirely over to it if i was more skilled in it and steam wasnt an issue.

Gaming is the only thing stopping me from going over to Linux full-time on my personal machines. When the answer to "how do I play this game on Linux?" is "dual-boot Windows", I'm not swapping over. I need to be able to do EVERYTHING on Linux before I swap.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

RAM is required in a computer, period.

Unless you enter a magical world of OSs with practically no background services or anything running in the background and just sit and watch a black screen all day. Then you could probably run off the CPU cache just fine.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice