Experiences with non-techies

I FOUND OVER 4 AND A HALF THOUSAND THREATS

ON A 250GB HDD

I have now bought them a new laptop running chrome + adblock.

Sounds familiar... that's why I got them off Windows entirely and have had 0 problems over the last ~7 years

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Not an experience I've directly had, but one of my friends told me her dad thought the start menu is a virus.

I thought that was why Microsoft removed it in Windows 8?????

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Not an experience I've directly had, but one of my friends told me her dad thought the start menu is a virus.

It isnt?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

The amount of virus and malware have no relation to the size of the drive ... you can easily have more than that on a 60GB HDD!

But viruses and malware are stored on your computer aren't they? So they are taking up space, even if they are incredibly small. He probably meant that he though virus files were larger than they are.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

A woman that I used to work with thought that the suggestions Google gives you when you are typing in a search were completed searches.  Her kids got in trouble a lot for things that their mom thought they looked up, and she eventually got rid of the computer because they "wouldn't stop looking up bad things."  This was probably for the best, as she didn't know how to move files around on the computer and the pictures from the digital camera went into the downloads folder.  So whenever the kids needed to get something they had downloaded, they had to sift through their parents naked pics.

It isnt?

Nope, even the least technical person should know this... I mean, come on.

Nope, even the least technical person should know this... I mean, come on.

I think he was being sarcastic...

Christian 

Rig Specs:

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

A woman that I used to work with thought that the suggestions Google gives you when you are typing in a search were completed searches.  Her kids got in trouble a lot for things that their mom thought they looked up, and she eventually got rid of the computer because they "wouldn't stop looking up bad things."  This was probably for the best, as she didn't know how to move files around on the computer and the pictures from the digital camera went into the downloads folder.  So whenever the kids needed to get something they had downloaded, they had to sift through their parents naked pics.

*Gasps* "Google's been telling me that you've been searching for those messed up japanese videos with the tentacles! How disgraceful, me and your father have taught you much better than that! Speaking of your father, get out, Mommy has to go to the adult toy store and send him a few naughty pics in preparation of our date night"

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

*Gasps* "Google's been telling me that you've been searching for those messed up japanese videos with the tentacles! How disgraceful, me and your father have taught you much better than that! Speaking of your father, get out, Mommy has to go to the adult toy store and send him a few naughty pics in preparation of our date night"

How oddly detailed...

I feel like there's a story there...

Christian 

Rig Specs:

My programming teacher decided to teach us hardware the other day, and he starts by taking out a motherboard. He points to the northbridge and says, "See that? That's the CPU."

epic facedesk

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I showed this video I made to my stepdad and he didn't think it was real...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Never noticed in lubuntu and I don't use a Mac ... and my whole post was complaining about people that kept asking me the question!

Linux specifies the difference between GB and GiB - that way there can be no confusion.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think he was being sarcastic...

Sarcasm is hard to pick up on the internet.

What about that doesn't appear real?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

You have to use ;) to show sarcasm.

Not when I use it lol

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdBir9TFsCg

What, he thinks its all CGI? [emoji52]

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-snip-

Apparently you're pretty good with green screen. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

What about that doesn't appear real?

He doesn't think you can take a hard drive apart and then (in my case) put water in it. He thinks it's completely sealed.

What, he thinks its all CGI? [emoji52]

Not quite, read above lol

Apparently you're pretty good with green screen. :D

DAMN STRAIGHT SON I even applied a Galaxy SIII camera filter to it all!

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

He doesn't think you can take a hard drive apart and then (in my case) put water in it. He thinks it's completely sealed.

Not quite, read above lol

DAMN STRAIGHT SON I even applied a Galaxy SIII camera filter to it all!

Just open the drive you did that to and throw the water on him. lol

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Traditional hard drives can't be sealed because they have a small hole for air.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Traditional hard drives can't be sealed because they have a small hole for air.

I know. And it hurts to deal with people that don't know this stuff sometimes. :/

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

"[Windows 10] The best windows yet"

Is Windows 10 firerated?

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(