Experiences with non-techies

I sat next to this kid in my MATLAB class and we had to buy windows laptop to ensure everything worked well for our convenience. He said that apple were much better at gaming than pc. Now to get his specs straight he had the 2.5k Macbook pro with R9 M370X and a quad core i7 against the hp envy 2 in 1 with a 930m I believe and a dual core i7 with a mechanical hard drive. He just pulls out both his laptops and showed how slow windows was compared to his mac even though he had an ssd in the macbook so that's not even fair. I tried to explain to him that the GPUs, CPU and Storage was not comparable and it favored the mac and he responded with and that why apple is better at making laptops. And also he usually uses the windows laptop to torrent stuff and doesn't have anti virus software. It was funny when we were doing a test of some sort where the instructor would be watching you and giving me instructions on what to code. Some popup saying some severe system warning and repair now for 100 dollars and he kinda panic and had to retake it later for full credit because he couldn't get rid of it. A week later, he told me he got some guy to reinstall windows for him for like 20 dollars and got mcafee install and asked what anti virus I used and I told him I did not use any because I don't torrent shit and he told me i was stupid and my computer would die on me one day. 

That was an adventure from start to finish.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Ultra low! Am i right anyone? No, okay then

My 660 2gb ref can play bf3 at ultra....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

and my lawn mower mows the lawn WHAT else is new? 

Aliens?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Aliens?

Circle aliens....brrr...

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

1.whenever my brother can't load a YouTube video on his iPhone from the basement in 10 seconds then he comes pounding up the stairs and demands that I stop doing what ever I'm doing because whatever youtuber that's playing gtav is more important than my video chat about school work or project the worst part is my parents usually agree with him and force me to leave my important work in that instant. His excuse he uses to get them on his side is "he's taking up all the wifi" or "you can do it later" which is usually not true and my personal favorite " his computer is more important to the wifi box"

2. My brother also believes that the better the graphics are the more internet the computer uses because the server sends images to the computer even if the game is offline.

3. My dad who that the reason that his 11 year old laptop runs so slow is " you guy's loaded so many games on this it clogs it up" but it's not the fact that we only actually downloaded 4 games (which is irrelevant) or the fact they refuse to log out and only switch user ( which literally goes on for two years before I fix it) or that he never let's me clean it for him even though I have offered any times

At least one of these things happens daily

None of them believe me when I correct them pls help

It's always funny how people will just jump to stupid conclusions when it comes to tech. Like when something happens instead of researching or asking they just come up with the worst possible theory they can and then get mad when people try to explain things to them.

Funniest thing i ever heard of is a friend who sent his pc back to the company he bought it from just to install an ssd and reinstall windows. They charged him $500 and didn't even reinstall the drivers.

I sat next to this kid in my MATLAB class and we had to buy windows laptop to ensure everything worked well for our convenience. He said that apple were much better at gaming than pc. Now to get his specs straight he had the 2.5k Macbook pro with R9 M370X and a quad core i7 against the hp envy 2 in 1 with a 930m I believe and a dual core i7 with a mechanical hard drive. He just pulls out both his laptops and showed how slow windows was compared to his mac even though he had an ssd in the macbook so that's not even fair. I tried to explain to him that the GPUs, CPU and Storage was not comparable and it favored the mac and he responded with and that why apple is better at making laptops. And also he usually uses the windows laptop to torrent stuff and doesn't have anti virus software. It was funny when we were doing a test of some sort where the instructor would be watching you and giving me instructions on what to code. Some popup saying some severe system warning and repair now for 100 dollars and he kinda panic and had to retake it later for full credit because he couldn't get rid of it. A week later, he told me he got some guy to reinstall windows for him for like 20 dollars and got mcafee install and asked what anti virus I used and I told him I did not use any because I don't torrent shit and he told me i was stupid and my computer would die on me one day.

I love how usually Apple fanboys try to compare their product to a product from another brand, but they always do an unfair comparison.

Like....

He takes an iPhone 6S with 128gb of internal memory, and a 4 year old Huawei that costed €80 new at that time.

Ofcourse, the cheap old budget Android is gonna lag like crazy, be slow and not run games.

"I told you iPhone is better. Android is slow and laggy"

Ugh, I hate fanboys.

Would someone please explain to me the word "costed ".  At first I just assumed it was someone whose first language wasn't English but I have seen it so many times from so many different people that that is in doubt . Is it a new form of an old word, that all the 'hip young things' are using; or is it just really some sort of mass misspelling of the word cost?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Would someone please explain to me the word "costed ".  At first I just assumed it was someone whose first language wasn't English but I have seen it so many times from so many different people that that is in doubt . Is it a new form of an old word, that all the 'hip young things' are using; or is it just really some sort of mass misspelling of the word cost?

probably a mix of both...

I just auto-filter everything I read into the way that I was taught English (a mix of American and English)... 

It's just uninformed foreigners. Can't blame them, English is retarded.

It's used in certain sentences like "We have costed the manufacture of each item" where the meaning is "to estimate or determine the cost of."

Source is Dictionary.com. Both the definition and sentence were taken from them.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Helped a friend build his gaming PC a year or two ago. Some odd part choices (he didn't come to me, I think he chose the parts himself or someone else helped him) and probably could have saved a bit of money but he was happy.

Fast forward about a year later and I invite him and a few other friends over for a LAN to find out that he uses a 32" 1080p TV as his monitor. He sets his rig up and plugs in his 'monitor' and I instantly notice something is wrong. The picture doesn't fill the screen properly (aspect ratio was wrong) and everything looks blurry.

I ask him about it he tells me that he had it set at max resolution but it cut the edges off so he just bumped the resolution down until he could see the whole screen. Poor guy had never heard of overscan and had no idea about aspect ratios so he just put up with a rubbish picture quality for the last year thinking that was just how it was going to be forever.

I jumped in and bumped the resolution up to 1080p, then showed him where he could correct the overscan in his Nvidia settings. I swear it was like Christmas watching his face as he fully utilised his rig in full 1080p for the first time since it was built.

To be honest, I had a similar experience... with myself.

It was when I finally decided to make the 1080p TV that I had sitting unused for 2 years, into my main monitor. Took me 15 - 30 minutes to figure out (without Googling) that you need to correct the image in software settings. But hey, first time I upgraded from a single 1280 x 1024 monitor to something a bit more modern... Still having the 1280 x 1024 monitor as second monitor, though.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Honestly, he pays over a hundred euros for it, which is in the neighbourhood of the moto e and above the LG Leon.

Also, he complains about how he can't use all the apps I can use on his phone, and how he loves android and how it's great, so... it's that thing he does where he acts like he knows ALL about tech but then pays six hundred bucks for an APU based desktop with 8 gigs of ram and not even an SSD.

Wait. 100 euros for what? The phone or the mobile plan(internet and minutes).

Well, Android is good, but it gets clogged fast.(I had a galaxy ace 2 that I had to reset every month or it would crash every 30 minutes)

SSD isn't that important. I would buy one cheap for my old PC because it can't play games, so for office/light use it's not worth waiting long for prigrams to load.(HDDs are around the price of a 120GB SSD)

When I used to live with my mum her solution for any IT problems was simple, she knew I was the gamer and that there was an easy way to get my attention.

1) Unplug power from router
2) Wait for me to come down to the router
3) Tell me x problem is my fault and I need to fix it

Now she just harasses me on Facebook and makes me remote access her computer ;(

How many times is it actually your fault? I think it's annoying when people needlessly blame other people for issues - it might be their way to get those individuals to fix it for them, even if it was their screw-up.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

How many times is it actually your fault? I think it's annoying when people needlessly blame other people for issues - it might be their way to get those individuals to fix it for them, even if it was their screw-up.

I hold my hands up, occasionally and I mean very occasionally it was my fault. But the cable coming loose on the bt vision box and disconnecting is not!!!

Wait. 100 euros for what? The phone or the mobile plan(internet and minutes).

Well, Android is good, but it gets clogged fast.(I had a galaxy ace 2 that I had to reset every month or it would crash every 30 minutes)

SSD isn't that important. I would buy one cheap for my old PC because it can't play games, so for office/light use it's not worth waiting long for prigrams to load.(HDDs are around the price of a 120GB SSD)

The phone. He's on prepaid, or pays like 5 bucks a month to get some data for the bit of data stuff he uses. 

Honestly, I've had that problem with old and/or very low-end phones. Even the Galaxy Star thing that I had to use for three months performed fine for that time...

I think an SSD is, for most people, the most sensible upgrade to make in a general purpose PC. For people who mainly do light browsing and office stuff, nothing is going to be a bottleneck if they have some RAM, but an SSD will help with boot times and general use a ton. 

Also, for that money you could get a core i3 or i5 based laptop, probably even with an SSD, which has the added advantage of being portable (important for business stuff).

I hold my hands up, occasionally and I mean very occasionally it was my fault. But the cable coming loose on the bt vision box and disconnecting is not!!!

*is 1000 miles away from home*

*router stops working*

FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ITS YOUR FAULT! COME FIX IT

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

*router stops working*

FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ITS YOUR FAULT! COME FIX IT

Recognisable

And eventually the problem happens to be the cable being disconnected...

When I used to live with my mum her solution for any IT problems was simple, she knew I was the gamer and that there was an easy way to get my attention.

1) Unplug power from router

2) Wait for me to come down to the router

Now she just harasses me on Facebook and makes me remote access her computer ;(

Well that's a good way to get someone's attention, but I think that is very cruel to really anyone. Plus, saying it's your problem is the most common loophole tactic non techies use in order for them to do shit. For example, I had my PC for 8 months or so when this happens, and then she says that the computer is running slow (because she never defrags her hard drive even though it's loaded with more than 2,000 pictures and random garbage, I got blamed for putting a tool bar on her pc even though its been 8 months since I've used it. It was my brother who installed a crapware program, not me, but since I was a naive little kid when I was 9, of course I get blamed, (when I actually installed a shit load of viruses)

Well then don't do it. If she actually harasses you like that, don't do anything. If she wants to unplug it forever, her loss. Don't succumb to people's problems. Because now she knows a way she can manipulate you. Just stop doing anything.

*Feetzor!!!!!!!!!! I UNPLUGED THE ROUTER MYSELF. INTERWEBZ NOT WORKING!!!!!1!1!!!11! YOU COME HERE RIGHT NOW AND FIX IT!!!!!!!!11!11!!!!! 

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

*router stops working*

*sings*

And I will walk 500 miles and I will walk 500 more

just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to plug things in once more!

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I just finished an hour long session of showing her why her new laptop was running slowly and showing her how to download "things". Laptop has a single core processor and was loaded with bloatware when she bought it, my god that took a while to remove..... McAfee is uninstalling for 30 minutes.....

I don't understand why she doesn't talk to me before buying rubish laptops that are overpriced considering I BUILD MY OWN COMPUTERS and the old laptop her husband has used to be mine and is still kicking ass.

I just finished an hour long session of showing her why her new laptop was running slowly and showing her how to download "things". Laptop has a single core processor and was loaded with bloatware when she bought it, my god that took a while to remove..... McAfee is uninstalling for 30 minutes.....

I don't understand why she doesn't talk to me before buying rubish laptops that are overpriced considering I BUILD MY OWN COMPUTERS and the old laptop her husband has used to be mine and is still kicking ass.

I'm in the opposite position as you. My brother has always been the tech person in the family and is currently in college for software development.

However over the last few years I've built a few computers and even started learning basic programming, but still whenever somethings wrong they want him to fix it.

Which is fine most of the time until I'm pointing out the problem and telling them how to fix it and they still call him so he can tell them the same thing.

So however much it sucks being the tech person in your family sometimes its worse not being it.

I'm in the opposite position as you. My brother has always been the tech person in the family and is currently in college for software development.

However over the last few years I've built a few computers and even started learning basic programming, but still whenever somethings wrong they want him to fix it.

Which is fine most of the time until I'm pointing out the problem and telling them how to fix it and they still call him so he can tell them the same thing.

So however much it sucks being the tech person in your family sometimes its worse not being it.

Welcome to the family tech guy. I'll need your phone number, skype information and all that good stuff to give to your new mother. Have fun fixing her problems whilst I relax and ignore your messages. HAVE FUN!