January 2, 2015 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

News

Sony about to be sued for pirating music in the interview

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: torrentfreak.com

• used a song from Yoon Mi-rae (Natasha Shanta Reid, US-born hip hop and R&B singer)

• sensation in Korea

• used her song “Pay Day”

• there was some discussion between her label, Feel Ghood Music, and Sony Pictures about using the song, but discussions ceased and they assumed Sony had found a different song to use

• song was used without a contract

• “We will be taking legal action against Son Pictures as well as DFSB, the agency that had been carrying out the discussion regarding the use of the track,” said her label

Samsung, TSMC Both Failing to Product 16nm FinFET Chips for Apple - Industry-wide Implications

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: patrickjp93

Source 2: fudzilla.com

• Drexel Hamilton’s (a Wall Street Firm) chip analyst stated that Intel might be preparing the bial Apple out

• Taiwan Semiconductor and Samsung Electronics are both contracted to produce 3-D transistors for Apple

• neither have been able to produce them in any meaningful yield

• currently Intel is the only manufacturer that has been able to reliably produce 16nm FinFET chips

• article makes leaps that Intel could take over this portion of the market, and cause industry-wide implications

Apple offers two-week window for iTunes refunds in Europe

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Givingtnt

Source 2: kitguru.com

Source 3: theverge.com

• can return pretty much anything from iTunes within 2 weeks for a full refund

• if you open the item (app, book, movie, what have you) they reserve the right to refuse a refund

• return payments will be made within 14 days of order-cancellation request

• credited to the original form of payment

• only available in Europe

• right now it looks like there are no plans to bring it to NA

Origin users reporting unauthorized purchases on their account

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TDP_Equinox

Source 2: pcgamer.com

• users are urging others to change their passwords and enable two-factor authentication

• charges are being made without the user’s permission

• Origin support was allegedly denying that any errors were occurring

• EA Rep: “We found no indication at this point of a breach of our Origin account database. Privacy and security of user account information are of the utmost importance to us.”

• apparently EA is investigating the claims, but there is no final statement as of yet

Hollywood - " Google fibre Leads to more piracy"

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: ahhming

Source 2: torrentfreak.com

• survey was conducted on behalf of Warner Bros and Sony Pictures Entertainment

• was conducted in 2012, intended to get a baseline of piracy levels so changes can be measured after Google Fiber rollout

• survey respondents from Kansas City (first launch of Google Fiber)

• 2,000 people between ages 13 and 54 were polled about their piracy habits and media

• more than half were interested in Google fiber, including a large group of pirates

• approximately one quarter of non-pirates said that they would pirate with Google fiber

• research tries to estimate the studio’s extra piracy losses due to Google Fiber reaching the whole nation

• drew up a report that counts all pirated views as losses, calculated that it could cost Hollywood over one billion dollars per year (current total “losses” due to pirating are 1.753 billion)

• study also finds a link between piracy and broadband speeds

Microsoft working on new browser ( not IE)

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Alexgoeshigh

Source 2: neowin.net

Source 3: linustechtips.com

Source 4: theverge.com

Source 5: neowin.net

• Will arrive with Windows Threshold

• Codename Spartan.

• They are aiming for a browser that feels more like firefox and chrome.

• Browser would retain the foundations of Microsoft’s current web technology.

• Will use the Chakra JS Engine and Trident rendering engine.

• IE11 will still be bundled with windows for backward compatibility reasons.

• Suspected to be “better” for mobile windows.

• Next windows event scheduled on January 21st. We should hear more then.

Google fights Marriott's plan to block Wi-Fi hotspots

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: money.cnn.com

• Marriott and the hotel lobby asked the FCC this summer to allow hotels to deploy equipment that prevents people from turning their phones into Wi-Fi hotspots.

• At Marriott connection rates start at $14.95 per day. For $19.95, guests get "enhanced high speed Internet"

• Marriott and the hotel lobby argued that guests can use their smartphones or Mi-Fi devices to launch an attack against a hotel's Wi-Fi network or threaten other guests' privacy

• "If a customer arrives at a hotel with her own Mi-Fi device and the hotel interferes with the customer's connection to that personal hotspot, the hotel can effectively force the customer to purchase the hotel's Wi-Fi services to gain access, even though the customer has already paid her mobile operator for personal hotspot capability," said Microsoft in a filing to the FCC opposing Marriott's request. Google agreed saying blocking hotspots  "would undermine the public interest.".

[Rumour] GTX 960 Release date and price

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Brood

Source 2: wccftech.com

Source 3: gdm.or.jp

Source 4: fudzilla.com

• The card may not appear at CES, instead launching on January 22.

• Expected to ship with 2GB GDDR5 on a 128-bit bus.

• Expected price of $200.

• Expected to use a single 6-pin (along with the 75W provided by PCI-E)

Kim Dotcom's Mega to launch anti-spying call and chat service 'soon'

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: 69lover

Source 2: computerworld.com

Source 3: pcworld.com

Source 4: twitter.com

Source 5: twitter.com

• Will be named “MegaChat”.

• Fully encrypted browser based video call and chat service.

• "Mega will soon release a fully encrypted and browser-based video call and chat service including high-speed file transfers," he said in a tweet.

• "No U.S.-based online service provider can be trusted with your data," Kim Dotcom said in a separate tweet. "They must provide the U.S. government with backdoors," he said.

• Kim Dotcom made a point of singling out Microsoft-owned Skype as a less secure competitive service.

• Facebook-owned WhatsApp also added end-to-end encryption late this year.

• Tor, TrueCrypt and Tails topped the NSA's cryptographic "most wanted" list of 2012.

Apple hit with class action lawsuit over the size of iOS on devices

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dietrichw

Source 2: macrumors.com

• iOS8 doesn't properly inform its users just how much storage space it will occupy once downloaded.

• It can take up as much as 23.1 percent of the overall storage capacity of an iOS device.

• This isn’t being advertised before the purchases or updates.

• "We feel that there are a substantial number of Apple consumers that have been shortchanged," William Anderson said in a statement. "And we’ll be pursuing the claims vigorously."

• As of early November iOS8 was installed on 60 percent of active iOS devices.

• The plaintiffs of the new class action are attempting to use Apple's own branding of iOS 8 - "The biggest iOS release ever" - as a hidden piece of subtext hinting at the hefty amount of storage the operating system requires.

The future of Star Citizen

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Rohith Kumar Sp

Source 2: pcgamer.com

• $68m raised by 700k backers.

• Is there enough money?

• “It’s never enough!” scaled development

• How does it feel to be freed from a development studio?

• it’s nice because we can do what we want

Other comments:

• One downside is there are too many voices… or too many cooks

• This is actually a first person game, you just happen to often be in a space ship

• Real life events may happen, if you try to sell contraband in an alleyway you may get mugged

• Large ships are built around co-op real, or AI, to make it a lot more fun for group play - also humans will be more effective than the AI

Asus ZenFone [CES 2015]

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Thatcoolbluekidd

Source 2: androidpolice.com

Link 1: facebook.com/video (VIDEO 10s)

Link 2: youtube.com (VIDEO 52s)

• “See what others can’t see”

• May feature a dual camera set-up.

• Asus will make more announcements on the 5th.

• Second longer teaser can be found in Link 2.

Google to FCC: if the internet is a Title II utility, let us expand Fiber

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Xillius

Source 2: engadget.com

• Verizon famously said that if the FCC heeds President Obama's urging and declares the internet a Title II utility, it would cause "great harm to an open Internet, competition and innovation."

• Mountain View pointed out that if broadband internet access is declared to be a Title II service, then Google Fiber should be granted the same access as other utilities to poles and other essential infrastructure.

• Google is often forced to dig trenches for its Fiber internet, limiting the highly sought service to just a few communities so far. That's because access to poles, ducts and conduits (at a tenth the cost) is limited by federal law to traditional cable TV and telecom suppliers.

• Google was quick to add that if the FCC didn't give it the same rights as cable or telecom providers under Title II, the result would be "a substantial barrier to network deployment by new providers such as Google Fiber."

• Former FCC Chair Reed Hundt told the WSJ that "if Title II gives Google pole access, then it might really rock the world with broadband."

•  
[Rumour] Nvidia GM200, Quadro M600

Source 1: kitguru.net

• 12GB of GDDR5 memory

• 192 texture units, 96 raster operations pipelines and 384-bit memory bus

• GM200 will be 30 per cent faster than the GeForce GTX 980

• GM200 features 33 per cent more stream processors than the GM204

• Expected in February or March

RAPID FIRE

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/272102-uoltt-2015-star-citizen-battle-starts-16th-january/

NewOffice campaign closed

Palmer Luckey Expects Oculus CV1 Release in Winter 2015

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: BiG StroOnZ

Source 2: telegraph.co.uk ARCHIVE VERSION WITH QUOTE FROM PALMER

• article originally stated “Luckey estimates a Winter 2015 launch”

• has since been removed

•  
Bitcoin deemed worst currency of 2014

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: BiG StroOnZ

Source 2: pcmag.com

• around 1 year ago one Bitcoin was valued at $1,130USD

• currently valued at $320USD

• even worse than Eurasian currencies that have been plagued by political issues and war

[DEBUNKED] GTA V PC Requirements Revealed

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Amorassofpixelz

Source 2: kdramastars.com

• Requirements in Source 2.

Asus ZenFone [CES 2015]

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Thatcoolbluekidd

Source 2: androidpolice.com

Link 1: facebook.com/video (VIDEO 10s)

Link 2: youtube.com (VIDEO 52s)

• “See what others can’t see”

• May feature a dual camera set-up.

• Asus will make more announcements on the 5th.

• Second longer teaser can be found in Link 2.

Lamp that last 40 years

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ahhming

Source 2: theguardian.com

Source 3: jakedyson.com

Source 4: jakedyson.com

Source 5: jakedyson.com

Source 6: bgr.com

• Jake Dyson has developed a LED lamp that will last 40 years if used for 12 hours a day.

• Will cost more that $2000.

• Radiators dissipating heat will keep the lamp always at 55 degrees or under.

VESA mount for iMacs - NuMount VESA

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ahhming

Source 2: newertech.com

Source 3: newertech.com

• Securely attaches your iMac to a VESA compatible wall or desk mount.

• VESA mount compatible with 2012 or newer iMac.

• $120USD

AMD working on a new So for gaming console, coming 2016

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Bloodyvalley

Source 2: wiiudaily.com

• according to AMD CFO Devinder Kumar, AMD is working on an x86 and an ARM chip

• not much detail at all, simply stated that they’re working on an ARM processor that will probably be used in the gaming space

PS4 buyers have been receiving less than what they paid for

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Bloodyvalley

Source 2: linustechtips.com

• two consumers purchased PS4s, but ended up with other items in their packages

• man purchased PS4, ended up with box full of two bags of rocks

• eventually got a refund from Wal Mart after being denied multiple times

• woman purchased PS4 and ended up with a box full of bibles

• not as rare as one would think - Target was familiar with issues like this and didn’t give them too much trouble

Samsung releases 11.8mm thick Series 9 2015

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dizmo

Source 2: blog.gsmarena.com

Source 3: gizmodo.com

• 0.46” thick

• Just over 2lbs

• 12.2” 2560*1600 (non-touch) display. -> 247.45 PPI (1080p would be 180.57 PPI at 12.2”)

• Core M 5Y10c

• $1,200 for 4GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. ($1400 if you want 8GB of RAM)

• CPU comparison vs. last gen top tier: Clicky

Awesome show, as always

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

@LinusTech, is there going to be a travel vlog for CES this year?

I lOVED the Computex 2013 one, and i'm sure many other people did too :D

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

@LinusTech, is there going to be a travel vlog for CES this year?

I lOVED the Computex 2013 one, and i'm sure many other people did too :D

If we have a whack of extra time, maybe, but I doubt it.

Nice titles in the the sections.

Id like to make some graphics for this...

Thanks for the offer, man, but it'd probably just be a whack more work to make this more beautiful with graphics for sections unless we do a bunch of dev work on our side. Maybe when we move to IPS 4

If we have a whack of extra time, maybe, but I doubt it.

Aw okay, just wanted to ask because the travel vlogs were quite entertaining :D

Anyway, great show today (or yesterday)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

There was no fucking feed on mobile only chat, can someone explain why ????????? none in twitch chat helped neither did @LinusTech or @nicklmg @Slick *cries*

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I wasn't feeling that well so i had to sleep....and miss half of it and the after party...yeaaaah for twitch archive 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

There was no fucking feed on mobile only chat, can someone explain why ????????? none in twitch chat helped neither did @LinusTech or @nicklmg @Slick *cries*

If i remember correctly there was lot of people in the chat talking about Mobile* 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

If i remember correctly there was lot of people in the chat talking about Mobile* 

Yep I was one of them, there was no feed and no one fucking responded, روح ادرس الاختبارات قريبة.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Im not gonna lie, the afterparty is pretty nice. Like to watch that more than the show ahaahah. Btw you did say it was gonna be short and it was like 40mins, still enjoyed it ;)

Im not a huge fan of the segmentation but i totally understand it. Most people will watch them either way, but if you have them like a week apart it will be much better than like 3-4 weeks apart.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Yep I was one of them, there was no feed and no one fucking responded, روح ادرس الاختبارات قريبة.

Yeah...i am in SA but i don't know arabic that well 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Okay.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Okay.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Saying that fast internet shouldn't be built cause it will lead to more piracy is like saying that roads shouldn't be smooth cause that leads to more speeding.

wasnt able to watch it on mobile either

just gave up after 30 min of no show and went to bed :/

and watching it on youtube is not the same as live stream, sad :(

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

I agree that we need a lot of small start ups to push internet where it needs to be. Take where I live for instance there is a lot of people who do not have access to true high-speed internet. I helped start a ISP where i lived and we had several customers but the problem we ran into was big companies...cough At&t cough.... not wanting to be competed against.

Where I live there is a ton of dark fiber and to gain access to it isn't that hard. What is hard is gaining funding to push the technology out. The sad thing was the cost for us to build out internet was a fraction of the method At&t was going to use. When Obama first announced BTOP funding which was a broadband initiative we jumped at the chance to get some of the funding. We were constantly told there was no money and then we find out a few months later a subsidiary of At&t received 24 million dollars in grants and low interest loans.

So the question is what did they do with 24 million dollars? Well first they took over two years before putting a single customer on. And then there was the speeds and data usage. They are providing close to 8Mbps and you can choose how much data you want every month. Can you guess how much they are giving you? 5GB, 10GB, 15GB, and 20GB. Here is the better question, how much are they charging for this data? They come out to $50, $80, $100, and $150 a month.

Are you kidding me!!!! they are expecting people to operate their home internet off of mobile data limits.

The problem the United States faces is big companies like At&t, Comcast, Time Warner and so on who stagnate growth and don't allow for true progress to be made.

If anybody is curious about any of the specifics I can tell them. I helped build the network so I would be curious to find out if anyone else had a similar experience and if they were able to overcome it.

I cant create a topic yet so that is why I posted it on this thread, maybe someone will see it.

As always totally worth to stay up till 4:30am or so :)

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Would it be possible to allow us the opportunity to Download the WAN Show to our mobile devices via YouTube.  I like to listen to it on my morning commute.  It gives me opportunities to inform my co-workers what going on in the world of Tech. :D

Glad that i was a part of the show with 8000+ others in there, loved how the count dropped from 8600+ to 6 people watching on the after party! xD

Details separate people.

@LinusTech

I don't know quite how much you're looking to spend on a joystick, but as someone who's worked extensively within the flight simulation industry, I can say that the definitive joystick is the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar with Uber2Nxt gimbals and hall sensors. These are both community made mods; the gimbals for example, were designed and milled from aluminium billets by a community member with an extremely expensive CNC milling machine. You'll only be able to find one second hand, (Ebay and the Falcon BMS forums for sale section are the best places to look) and they tend to sell for around £600, but in terms of quality and movement, they are completely unrivaled. The next best thing would be a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, but the throttle is plastic and being a replica of the A-10C's throttle system, it lacks axes for radar antenna control on the throttle levers themselves (there is one on the base, in place of the real aircraft's throttle friction adjustment lever, but it's not particularly ergonomic), which are pretty useful for a variety of applications.

I can't say I've played Star Citizen and so if it requires large, fast control inputs, I'd advise against either of these options, as the springs are far too stiff for this (and in the case of the Cougar, you'll start to wear the gimbals out), but if it requires considered, precise control inputs, then you'll find nothing better.

Kind regards, and in the off chance you read this, I hope it helps,

Charlie