Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey expects consumer release in "winter 2015"

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph Palmer Luckey, founder of Oculus VR, has told journalist Josie Ensor to expect a Winter 2015 launch of their consumer virtual reality headset.

While it is still some way off its consumer release – Luckey estimates a winter 2015 launch – giddy developers have been exploring the Rift’s potential for the past two years.

Source

Edit (Update): Damn, just as I post this, it looks like the author of the article has edited it (without comment) to remove the above reference. Here is an archived source with the original text. For those who are curious, the article now reads:

While it is still a little way off its consumer release, giddy developers have been exploring the Rift’s potential for the past two years.

Update 2: Palmer has posted in the /r/oculus subreddit on this topic.

We never gave them any information on a release date. We checked to see where they got the winter 2015 date, they apologized and said they can't recall where they got that idea.

Good guys at the Telegraph, really nice photographer.

Link

Not sure if I should delete this post.

There are other websites saying that a commercial release of Oculus Rift will be coming this year but who knows.

Steve

I don't think this thread should be deleted, nor the original quote forgotten. Not that I believe they will actually have the Oculus out this year, but I personally find it funny that a part of the sentence was redacted, when its just a vague guess at a release date.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

There are other websites saying that a commercial release of Oculus Rift will be coming this year but who knows.

2015 is this year lol

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

So i need to get something like a 970 or R9 380X by winter?

HTID

Thats what i said

ohh i thought you meant that according to other sources it will be released in 2015. I thought for a sec you had forgotten it was 2015

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

ohh i thought you meant that according to other sources it will be released in 2015. I thought for a sec you had forgotten it was 2015

Wait. What? Its 2015? :P

Steve

I'll wait for a more official announcement but I'm definitely hoping that it will come out then. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

As excited as I am, I'm waiting for something more official.

This could just be another journalist taking some vague comment as confirmation.

CES is around the corner, so will wait and see what they show off there.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

OR is brilliant and flawed. Its scope for gaming is unreal but until they work out how to handle a GUI while wearing it I won't be investing in one. Its a tad pointless having to take it off every time I want to press escape.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So i need to get something like a 970 or R9 380X by winter?

I'd wait on that purchase until the resolution and refresh rate of the panel in CV1 is disclosed. Currently with DK2 my OC'ed Gigabyte 970 G1chugs along in most demos (excluding the UE4 tech demos) keeping a steady 75fps. I will definitely upgrade for Star Citizen but currently I see no need to. We have yet to see what new upcoming engines like the Snowdrop and possibly Frostbite 4 look like and how demanding they really are. What GPU do you currently have?

The Oculus Rift DK2 just released this summer, unless they incorporate nimble into the next hmd, I wouldn't be buying another hmd this soon. They really need to fix direct to rift having games such vox and assetto corsa not work ruins the experience.

They better release it this year, I've been folowing the OR since Carmack showed it back in 2012.

That would be an excuse tu upgrade my PC.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Lol, this gimmick is lasting a little bit longer than I thought. Once it's out it will have about a month of attention at most and people will realise how dumb it is.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

They better release it this year, I've been folowing the OR since Carmack showed it back in 2012.

That would be an excuse tu upgrade my PC.

I can't wait, personally :D I've got some savings put aside to buy one as soon as it releases officially!

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8