EIZO revealed a new monitor with 1:1 aspect ratio

snowComet

While not for gaming I can see a lot of people interested in this. Not sure why some of you guys are saying it would be good for gaming, don't you like the wide field of view?

Personally I'd get one for my CNC when my current 4:3 dies as a widescreen monitor gets in the way of the gantry with how I have it setup. 26" is just too big though...

As they show, it would be really nice for CAD as well.

I just love the one track mind of this community. This clearly isn't made for gaming, or for movies. At all. It's meant or productivity. That's why most of you have no idea why it would be useful.

On the product page they even show examples of how it would benefit different productivity based  scenarios.

http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/flexscan/ev2730q/index.html

I add photos from an article from a Japanese media PC Watch, which Eizo held a press conference, and demonstrate some applications in this 1:1 aspect ratio. And I added the link to this post with those photos as well. Thx for the link.

It just seems really pointless. Especially when you can set monitors to 1:1. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

For content creation I could see this being pretty cool. I know that some game engines are laid out for a 1:1 aspect ratio. The Fallout game mod kits are set out this way, you have the 3D world in the top right and you have the item stuff to the left I think and then some other stuff at the bottom. Each for their own I guess.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I just love the one track mind of this community. This clearly isn't made for gaming, or for movies. At all. It's meant or productivity. That's why most of you have no idea why it would be useful.

On the product page they even show examples of how it would benefit different productivity based  scenarios.

Yeah, that's why I said 1920x1200 in portrait. Seems just as useful and isn't such a niche thing.

I don't know about you, but I use my screen for more than 1 thing. So it has to able to be at least decent for all of them.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Uh, no... I fully understand their marketing, doesn't mean it doesn't look weird. So why am I jumbled in to that thought?

This sounds great to me. I love the window width of a two way split horizontally on 1920 by 1080 monitors, but 1080 isn't tall enough for most documents. This would fix that.

I can see this being useful for certain productivity related tasks. You get 1920x840 pixels more on the bottom or top compared to regular 1920x1080 display.

Also the pixel count is exactly the same as a 1440p monitor.
1920 x 1080 = 2 073 600 1080p
1920 x 1920 = 3 686 400
2560 x 1440 = 3 686 400
1440p
3840 x 2160 = 8 294 400 4K UHD
4096 x 2160 = 8 847 360 4K
5120 x 2880 = 14 745 600 5K

kjpXwy3.jpg

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

Maybe it could be useful for coding, maybe..

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I don't need one but I guess it's great for something... Like Excel?

Maybe it could be useful for coding, maybe..

It would be. I could keep 4 Emacs panes on the left and keep outputs and debugger on the right.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

couldnt we see some benefit here guys? as far as photo editing goes this could be great for editing macro shots, which, if your using a macro lens and an extension tube, the aspect ratio should be even crazier than 1:1. I could see this in my definitely see this as a useful monitor, I might even put it in my work station.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

It just seems really pointless. Especially when you can set monitors to 1:1. 

And have none of the benefit of doing that.

Yeah, that's why I said 1920x1200 in portrait. Seems just as useful and isn't such a niche thing.

I don't know about you, but I use my screen for more than 1 thing. So it has to able to be at least decent for all of them.

And have a massive black bar down the center? No thanks.

This is a niche product. That's why it exists, for those very few people that would find it useful for that one purpose. Just like there's monitors that are specifically for ultrasounds.

My buddy does a ton of PS work. He'd likely find this monitor pretty useful.

You're right, I wouldn't find it useful. I'm also not their target audience. This isn't meant for gaming. Or watching movies.

Uh, no... I fully understand their marketing, doesn't mean it doesn't look weird. So why am I jumbled in to that thought?

Just woke up. Gotta get my tapping finger going, ya know?

:rolleyes:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just woke up. Gotta get my tapping finger going, ya know?

:rolleyes:

No, I don't know.  :blink: In fact, I'm a little concerned. What do you tap with that finger? :P

No, I don't know.  :blink: In fact, I'm a little concerned. What do you tap with that finger? :P

Haha, the track pad, pervert. ;)

Sadly I has no mouse. Well I do but it doesn't work as well on the couch. And it's a pain to carry around the apartment.

Can't wait until my PC is back to me. -_-

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Haha, the track pad, pervert. ;)

Sadly I has no mouse. Well I do but it doesn't work as well on the couch. And it's a pain to carry around the apartment.

Can't wait until my PC is back to me. -_-

Lol, track pads are so useful yet so frustrating sometimes. :P

for normal use or gaming, no thanks.  but I'd prolly like it at work... I use different cad software, buildings aren't always 16:9 shape.  I think a 1:1 monitor of that size could make things a little easier for me...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

what? no! just no.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

On the product page they even show examples of how it would benefit different productivity based scenarios.

Ok so what is more productive about this square? I can think MAYBE graphics design but it still breaks the ui. seeing how all of our text it's definitely rectangular I just don't see your point beyond you wanting to appear insightful without providing any examples

-------

Current Rig

-------

Having a square monitor would annoy me to death tbh

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Ok so what is more productive about this square? I can think MAYBE graphics design but it still breaks the ui. seeing how all of our text it's definitely rectangular I just don't see your point beyond you wanting to appear insightful without providing any examples

The extra pixel screen real-estate can make coding much better. On 1920x1920 I could host 4 emacs panes on one monitor and host the debugger and visual outputs on one other instead of needing 2 monitors for code and 1 for debug/outputs.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If the stand doesn't support portrait mod I am not interested.

Now seriously.

I really like it. I can imagine it must be great for people that do a lot of web browsing, programming and writing documents as you can basically have two windows in portrait mode next to each other.

Clearly you didn't follow the link. There are examples given there.

You can see more of webpages without scrolling. You can look at more of a spreadsheet without scrolling down. There's two for you.

When editing photo's you don't have to turn the monitor to change the orientation.

How do you not understand that a square is simply a rectangle with more vertical visibility?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

The extra pixel screen real-estate can make coding much better. On 1920x1920 I could host 4 emacs panes on one monitor and host the debugger and visual outputs on one other instead of needing 2 monitors for code and 1 for debug/outputs.

Multiple screens for coding screams amateur hour.