EIZO revealed a new monitor with 1:1 aspect ratio

snowComet

The extra pixel screen real-estate can make coding much better. On 1920x1920 I could host 4 emacs panes on one monitor and host the debugger and visual outputs on one other instead of needing 2 monitors for code and 1 for debug/outputs.

And how is this not possible on a 4k bigger monitor again? The geometry is irrelevant if we can get larger size monitors this isn't particularly massive

-------

Current Rig

-------

Clearly you didn't follow the link. There are examples given there.

You can see more of webpages without scrolling. You can look at more of a spreadsheet without scrolling down. There's two for you.

When editing photo's you don't have to turn the monitor to change the orientation.

How do you not understand that a square is simply a rectangle with more vertical visibility?

Both websites and excel sheets which I've use extensively benefit more from physically bigger monitors with higher resolution. There is no inherent advantage to geometric differences when bigger screens are out there.

Again only multiple display arrays might benefit but the vessels aren't particularly small here

-------

Current Rig

-------

This panel would be perfect for my mom actually. She works in property management and a monitor like this would be perfect since she uses excel to do the financing for 80+ units.

Also that aspect ratio may be good for flight Sims and the sort where there is space above or below you. It would be interesting to play star citizen on this monitor.

Is there actually any scientific reason we have certain ratio monitors or is it arbitrary?

1080p is too wide IMO, i hate turning my head right and left like i'm watching a car race 

1:1 is a joke

Being an EIZO monitor it'll be 240Hz right?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Are you kidding me? It's fantastic for work(obviously it depends on what kind of work..) but since you can do so much more with a 16:10 monitor as long as it is able to turn...:P

I actually like that. I don't imagine it would be great for productivity but I wouldn't mind that for gaming. I find widescreen overwhelming while gaming usually so I play at 1440x1080. Gives me a nice framerate boost as well.

1080p is too wide IMO, i hate turning my head right and left like i'm watching a car race 

1:1 is a joke

1080p refers to it being 1080 pixels tall, it has nothing to do with the physical size. There are 4" 1080p displays and 80" 1080p displays.

1:1 wouldn't be as wide as the typical 16:9 1080p display you are thinking of if both displays were the same diagonal screen size...

Since you have two eyes spaced apart horizontally, you see more from left to right than you do top to bottom, plus your forhead gets in the way. If you are having to look left and right and it bothers you just get a smaller monitor or sit a little further back from it.

Most people want multiple monitors so they can see things out of the corner of their eyes. Sure its not in focus, but it lets you know something is there.

Both websites and excel sheets which I've use extensively benefit more from physically bigger monitors with higher resolution. There is no inherent advantage to geometric differences when bigger screens are out there.

Again only multiple display arrays might benefit but the vessels aren't particularly small here

This has a higher resolution. 1920x1920. While I agree that bigger size can help, unless you get higher resolution to go with it you're still getting the same image, just larger.

With more pixels, you get more area t work with.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I want one O.o shut up and take my money!!! I've always dislike 16:9 and 21:9...16:10 has always been my favorite aspect ratio but this looks just perfect. however I wish it was 2560*2560 however I hope they release one and another thing is they should've gone balls to the walls with 120 or 144Hz TN but I guess 60hz IPS isn't too bad  assuming it's 60hz .-. I can't seem to find anything saying it is, if it's 30 hz I retract my praise...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Several years ago this might have been better received, but we live in the world of widescreen now. 16:10 is my current fav aspect ratio, can't imagine going to 1:1.

edit: I will give them kudos for not making another milking of a 27" display with a 1920x1080p res.

high resolution displays with 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio. i need 2048x1536 or 2560x2048 resolution on a square monitor.

this is spectacular! i wasn't sold on the s2133 with a 1600x1200 resolution. but this is perfect, i can watch full hd movies on it and read all the text. also people, 1:1 is the aspect ratio of true photography. thank you eizo! :wub:

the man in black

this seems like its best used in one of those command center 27 screen setups :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Multiple screens for coding screams amateur hour.

According to you. If you customize Emacs and know your own hot keys you can debug lightning fast and ensure you're always passing the right parameters in the right order (no one who does anything significant can memorize the API necessary for said task). Now, if you use visual studio, that's amateur hour.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

And how is this not possible on a 4k bigger monitor again? The geometry is irrelevant if we can get larger size monitors this isn't particularly massive

It is possible, but less cost effective.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Does it feature a portrait mode?

I'll see myself out

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

honestly this in surround might be cool.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Maybe it's useful for some people, but for the others it's weird. If you need a lot of vertical pixel, this can be a solution, but then again you can buy 16:9 monitors and set it to portrait mode.

Maybe it's useful for some people, but for the others it's weird. If you need a lot of vertical pixel, this can be a solution, but then again you can buy 16:9 monitors and set it to portrait mode.

Text generally doesn't scale that well in portrait mode. This is great for coders who have a big custom project open with lots of proprietary API. Or you can have a reference description of an algorithm open on half the screen while you have the implementation on the other so you don't waste time switching contexts.

It's square, 1920x1920, you'd be able to watch a FHD movie with no scaling without touching it.

To be honest I don't hate the idea, it just depends on use scenario if it's useful or not. I'd have liked it to be 3840x3840 though ^^ in that case I'd have bought one

Hell, you could watch 2 FHD movies and there will still be borders

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Is that a picture of a monitor, on a monitor in a picture of a monitor? 

being displayed on a monitor.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."