Samsung Will Begin Manufacturing AMD's 14nm Zen Core By Year's End

Want to elaborate on that one? How do you figure ASUS involvement in this?

"Zenbook"

On the history involved with both AMD and Intel Emulators.com has some great write ups on the CPU architectures and lineage here. From Intel and P4's disappointments and reversion to P3/M architecture, and AMD and the shortcomings of Bulldozer and WHY a promising idea fell short in implementation. There is some great technical and industry insider info, and a lot of specialized know-how being leveraged to put an interesting spin on architectures and their utility. He worked at Intel and had some very strong words to express his ideals for robust dexterous architectures. I would suggest anyone interested in this subject matter give his site a few afternoons of perusal.

As for more recent dramatics, I think AMD cut some corners it shouldn't have, executed a good idea poorly, and because of its lack of resources had to scrabble to play catch up. I am hoping with Keller back in the mix and the opportunity that 14nm offers they will be able to pose some direct competition with Intel or at least give intel enough nipping at the heels to make intel try to be a little more attractive to value consumers. I really look forward to seeing what Zen can offer. And I really want to see where AMD is going to head with HSA and improved manufacturing with their new architectures and possible APU implementation.

I did read that the 14nm AMD chips were supposed to begin mass production by the end of 2014, but I am not sure if that was specifically Zen or if that was going to be the ARM based chips.

I think AMDs recent fumbles have made people a little gun-shy, the phenom line was quite competitive, and for what its designed for their current APUs are a valiant effort and if not for their reliance on an FX derived architecture bring good value to the market. But, as more of a value oriented consumer than a fan of any single company I really want to see some direct street brawl style competition back in this market.

I think they realised their mistake with bulldozer and hopefully will rectify it.

What are the chances of them building a whole new chipset?

At least the way I learned it, ALUs, or computing resources on a chip, are generally considered workers that can use a common resource(memory) pool and work on a task, and the scheduler(s) is like the foreman who oversees it all.

I personally didn't know or haven't heard anyone calling ALUs for workers. Normally people would simply call them EU (execution units).

When I meantioned workers, it was the software term. Mostly used within the server industry, specifically linux daemons.