Samsung Will Begin Manufacturing AMD's 14nm Zen Core By Year's End

They don't. The only other company which builds large chips is IBM. Keller is a bit of a wild card, but he's in the same boat having only ever designed embedded SOCs.

are you mentally ok? please do your research before being a retard online...

Jim Keller,  lead architect on AMD's K8 processor (the original Athlon 64), system engineer on K7 (the original Athlon), and co-author of the x86-64 spec, has returned to AMD.

taken from

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6129/apple-a4a5-designer-k8-lead-architect-jim-keller-returns-to-amd

he did, oh you know, just the stuff that was at the time the most advanced cpu architecture.... beat intel...

oh also from same article

While at Apple, Keller worked on the design teams for the A4 and A5 SoCs. He was also in charge of defining the specifications of two MacBook Air generations. The late Steve Jobs felt it prudent to have the best graphics and chip architects around, as they would be able to define performance needs and come up with system requirements better than anyone else. Raja Koduri, former AMD Graphics CTO, was Jim Keller's graphics counterpart at Apple where he still remains today. Indeed the impact of Keller, Koduri and others like them was best felt when Apple seemed to always integrate the right silicon at the right time.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

are you mentally ok? please do your research before being a retard online...

taken from

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6129/apple-a4a5-designer-k8-lead-architect-jim-keller-returns-to-amd

he did, oh you know, just the stuff that was at the time the most advanced cpu architecture.... beat intel...

oh also from same article

Yup, Both K7 and K8 absolutely destroyed what Intel could offer. Especially with K7, where you had $200-$300 CPU's that were competing with - or beating - $1000+ Intel Extreme CPU's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Whatever I'm not trying to calculate π or fold proteins here, just save me the monies for good products.  Go AMD!  I am hopeful for future 14nm APUs for both mobile and desktops despite the declaration of FX only!

Yup, Both K7 and K8 absolutely destroyed what Intel could offer. Especially with K7, where you had $200-$300 CPU's that were competing with - or beating - $1000+ Intel Extreme CPU's.

tell that to the resident intel fanboy, no use telling me, i remember it ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

They don't. The only other company which builds large chips is IBM. Keller is a bit of a wild card, but he's in the same boat having only ever designed embedded SOCs.

Not sure where you keep getting that info that Keller is just an SoC designer? Can you link a source please? Yes Apple had him for a while, where no doubt he did do SoC design... But he's basically the father of AMD's greatest accomplishments: The K7 and K8 CPU's, which were absolute beasts. Intel was so far behind on Netburst back then.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I wonder what percentage Samsung is making off of this?

This is absolutely amazing to see. I was far too young to see and understand the 2003 AMD and had to deal with Bulldozer, but this, this right here feels like a resurrection of the Athlon days.

If this is true, it might be what AMD needs to get back in the game, so to speak, with Intel in the high end consumer cpu market. I'm excited to see what happens and am rooting for AMD to make things interesting again.

I love Intel's performance, but I think we all want to see AMD come up with something magical. Give them a little faith, eh?

@Fooshi

I'm sorry but going by your comment you clearly don't "know" AMD. Because if you did you'd know that Intel's core series wouldn't have even existed if it weren't for AMD's K8 kicking Intel's butt in 2003. If it weren't for the Athlon64 Intel would still be on the ridiculous Pentium Netburst architecture it so loved and defended.

And guess what, the CPU architect that designed the only two architectures that beat out Intel on all fronts. Performance, efficiency and price is the same person working on Zen right now.

You must be new here :)

"knowing AMD"... apart from 1 bad architecture, and not having the infinite sums of money intel has, AMD has always delivered. they just needed to milk their CMT flop as much as possible, to be able to get enough money to make a new core.

look not that far into the past, and AMD was always either on par or better than intel. its only the Piledriver and onwards that was crap

May I just remind you guys of the whole thing with Bulldozer; it was meant to be the comeback, AMD captivated us with their marketing ploys etc that Bulldozer was gonna be amazing. It was a slight bit disappointing.

Hopefully, AMD has done good this time, but being a cynical Brit, I couldn't help but doubt their ability to perform.

The fact some of you thought that I am shitting on AMD tells me that you may have misread my post; doubting isn't the same as disregarding

Compatible with Windows 95

im talking CPU performance. if the boards were shit, thats a different question... i still know a ton of people running phenom2s OCd no problem. youre just picking on the bad things of AMDs and not looking at what intel did crappy then (granted i cant remember atm, since its too late, but i know they had their fair share of problems). when threads like these arise, you are such an intel fanboy...

still using a phenom II x4 965! 

Havent really found a need to upgrade than other than my CAD work. Gaming, i still maxed everything out at 60 fps with a 280x.

#PhenomMasterRace

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

I wonder what percentage Samsung is making off of this?

This is absolutely amazing to see. I was far too young to see and understand the 2003 AMD and had to deal with Bulldozer, but this, this right here feels like a resurrection of the Athlon days.

Probably a small share of the profits and the use of AMD's new or ARM chips or a Samsung modified derivative of them :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

dude, phenom2s were going effortlessly against Nahalems and Westmeres... they were even slightly better all in all

i was going to say nahelem is where intel started to get their act together

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Please let this be good...

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Let's hope for a great future with intel and amd. More choices the better. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Not sure where you keep getting that info that Keller is just an SoC designer? Can you link a source please? Yes Apple had him for a while, where no doubt he did do SoC design... But he's basically the father of AMD's greatest accomplishments: The K7 and K8 CPU's, which were absolute beasts. Intel was so far behind on Netburst back then.

So he made a few dual-cores...woopdy do... He's been working at Apple for more than 7 years now, and all Apple makes are ARM chips for phones, effectively embedded SOCs. Do you really need a source for common knowledge?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I need more info. It sounds good, and I can't say more than that.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

So he made a few dual-cores...woopdy do... He's been working at Apple for more than 7 years now, and all Apple makes are ARM chips for phones, effectively embedded SOCs. Do you really need a source for common knowledge?

A success is a success, no matter how many times it's occurred.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

im talking CPU performance. if the boards were shit, thats a different question... i still know a ton of people running phenom2s OCd no problem. youre just picking on the bad things of AMDs and not looking at what intel did crappy then (granted i cant remember atm, since its too late, but i know they had their fair share of problems). when threads like these arise, you are such an intel fanboy...

The CPUs could almost never perform at full kilter because AMD couldn't design the hardware to properly support it (wattage problems even then). We all know about Netburst. It's not a secret Intel chased clock rates and last. What's more pathetic is AMD did the same thing with the FX 9590 and got their rear ends handed to them. 

I'm a fanboy? I wish I could dump my Intel stock and pick up 2% of AMD since it has plenty of room to grow. AMD has yet to display the leadership and tech to prove they can win. Owning ATI does not make AMD great. When Zen arrives, we'll finally know.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

A success is a success, no matter how many times it's occurred.

Ever hear the phrase "If you don't use it, you lose it?" Back when you had less than 300 million transistors he had success. Back when it was really damn easy, he had success. If Keller delivers on closing the giant canyon of IPC deficit between AMD and Intel, then I'll gladly change my tune, but jeez you people think Keller is somehow the Jesus of CPU engineering. There are people at IBM and Intel who could clean his clock. Intel hasn't been pressured for half a decade and has a ton of things sitting in its pipeline ready for deployment. Let's see if Keller can actually take on a dragon once it wakes up.

My 8320 should be fine for a couple more years, but happy to see AMD making some great progress :)

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

They play both sides for the console war.  The console wars should make them lots of monies.  Hopefully,  AMD should be very competitive against Intel and, Nvidia for the next couple gens.  

My 8320 should be fine for a couple more years, but happy to see AMD making some great progress :)

Why would anyone choose to stay stuck with a northbridge? That argument about power usage really does come into play when you consider how electrically inefficient the northbridge chipset architecture is and how hot it gets, thus requiring more aggressive cooling.

I can't wait for AMD to get all of its product line out of the stone ages. The fight between Carrizo and Broadwell HQ /Skylake is going to be interesting. Intel was the first to put GPU cores on a CPU die, but AMD currently holds the heterogeneous system design lead and has the IP of ATI's graphics team and onward to lean on.