Microsoft is looking into quick and easy OS update system

GoodBytes

New job listing reveals that Microsoft is looking into a system for user to be able to upgrade their version of Windows quickly and easily to encourage upgrades of the OS, WinBeta reports.

Windows81update1screenformedia_r1_c1.jpg

This is probably linked to the rumored subscription model of Windows, like Office 365, where for a small fee per year or month, you have Windows for multiple systems, and get automatically upgraded to the new version when it comes out. It could also point into more rapid OS upgrade like Windows 8 users got as a taste with 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1.

Currently Office 365, can be acquired for $99.00 U.S per year, and gives you 5 licenses for your PCs and 5 for your devices, while the normal license of Office 2013 is 400$ for only 1 PC. Considering that there is a new Office every 3 years, and you have 5 PCs, that is $300 U.S with Office 365 you'll pay, compared to $2,000 U.S. A significant discount, even for 1 PC. (300$ vs 400$)

In addition, rumors suggest that now you can manage your Windows install yourself, so now you can re-install the OS as many time as you want and trasnfer it on to another system without phone activation or license worries.

According to the job listing, Microsoft is looking for ways to update Windows across all machines very quickly. The job listing says: "The world of software evolves at a faster and faster pace. Online services are shipping every week, why not client software? What would it take to modify the windows start menu on every Windows user machine in less than a week?" This statement could point towards the rumored 'Windows 365' subscription based Windows, in which the software is updated constantly and seamlessly like Office 365.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/new-job-listing-reveals-microsofts-idea-future-windows

I think this is pretty neat. And I have a feeling, if the rumor for an option to get a subscription model of Windows holds true, it could open doors for Windows to Go with the consumer edition of Windows, as it's validated with your account. Already, if you guys try to take your SSD or HDD with Windows 8, and plug it on a completely different specs system, Windows at boot time will go "Detected Devices", and startup correctly with the system drivers gathered. While Windows 7 all the way down to Windows 1.0 would BSOD at stratup. Windows 8 will need to be activated again, but it works interestingly well.

Just give me a goddamn discount on upgrading from windows 7 to your next OS, then I will care MS

And I mean 50% off AT LEAST.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Eww, I don't want windows to be subscription based!  I will literally switch to Linux if Windows becomes completely subscription based.

Not upgrading unless it's FREE.

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

Pricing is not that bad. Considering to buy the Office 365 now. :wacko: (Clearly off-topic)

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Student discounts all the way.

Got 365 university for significant discount

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

Just give me a goddamn discount on upgrading from windows 7 to your next OS, then I will care MS

And I mean 50% off AT LEAST.

If Windows 9 is meant to be the more "enterprise-friendly" version of Windows 8 it would make sense to give Windows 7 users an easy, cheaper upgrade.

Also hopefully that could prevent with Windows 7 what happened with XP EOL and security updates.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Pricing is not that bad. Considering to buy the Office 365 now. :wacko: (Clearly off-topic)

If you are student check out Office 365 University. It's 80$ but it's for 4 years (pay once 80$, and you get 4 years). It's only for 2 PCs OR devices however.

So it's good for your desktop and laptop or desktop and Android tablet / iPad, for example.

If you are student check out Office 365 University. It's 80$ but it's for 4 years (pay once 80$, and you get 4 years). It's only for 2 PCs OR devices however.

So it's good for your desktop and laptop or desktop and Android table / iPad for example.

Going to check it out :D

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Office 365 can go screw it self, I DO NOT want an OS that relies soley on the "cloud" and or requires a ******* (think f word) internet connection to use.

365 is normal office but on subscription, i'm sure you can use it offline all the time you want until the subscriptions expires

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I think this is pretty neat. And I have a feeling, if the rumor for an option to get a subscription model of Windows holds true, it could open doors for Windows to Go with the consumer edition of Windows, as it's validated with your account. Already, if you guys try to take your SSD or HDD with Windows 8, and plug it on a completely different specs system, Windows at boot time will go "Detected Devices", and startup correctly with the system drivers gathered. While Windows 7 all the way down to Windows 1.0 would BSOD at stratup. Windows 8 will need to be activated again, but it works interestingly well.

What about things without internet connections? i.e. Laptops while traveling, or people with no internet but a PC (rare but it happens).

I don't know. This seems like a win-win for M$ & the consumer, but regardless, subscription/cloud based models are evil imo. So it's hard to like this.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'd rather shell out $100 for a single OS and always have it work, then pay for a fucking subscription, since I may not want to upgrade.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Woot, no more waiting for updates.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If I get a cheap upgrade and the upgrades are as seamless and painless as Android, iOS or OS X, I will consider it. But I will not tolerate a subscription model for an OS.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

365 is normal office but on subscription, i'm sure you can use it offline all the time you want until the subscriptions expires

You can you use it for 30 days, but then you must connect to the internet, I don't care how long the period is - a year, a decade, a century, a millennium . . . .

I've been using office 2007 for 8 years...

No need to upgrade or buy any new subscriptions/keys.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Im hoping Windows 9 is released on Dreamspark that way I save all my money

Too bad windows 9 doesn't exist and never will

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Too bad windows 9 doesn't exist and never will

Actually ,it will. Appy Geek told me so.

I've been using office 2007 for 8 years...

No need to upgrade or buy any new subscriptions/keys.

I know how you feel. I used it since the Vista days.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

First they went with DRM on the Xbone and removed it due to backlash and now there's rumors of Windows 9 being a subscription based OS. How long do you think it'll be this time until they realized they went full retard again if the rumors are true?

Actually ,it will. Appy Geek told me so.

I know how you feel. I used it since the Vista days.

Office 2007 is enough for me, don't need any other new fancy features for $100/yr

Also, no windows 9 won't exist because they're removing the numbered naming scheme. It will just be called "windows".

Spoiler

As long as the subscription is an option then its fine.But imagine if win 7/8 isnt useable anymore it will be like paying a subscription just to play games.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

Ugh subscription fees? Fuck this I'm staying with 7.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Ugh subscription fees? Fuck this I'm staying with 7.

You downgraded quite a bit there. Go down to Vista.